CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 104 of 104 First ... 45494102103104

Hey guys, I am trying to fix this clutch but I have no clue what kind it is or where to get replacement parts. Its an early 5 speed for an FXR, any ideas? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch 3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	100675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	100676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	100677

Need to show a clear/close photo of the transmission main-shaft area where the "key-way" was cut into it......but for right now......you are either going to need a clutch-hub...….or:

….. this may be a good time to think about "up-grading" the transmission main-shaft to the later splined main-shaft and newer clutch-hub.
    If you have to replace the major parts......up-grade to the newer/splined shaft and hub.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm looking at an 83-84 FXR parts book and that clutch isn't stock. The hub is clearly aftermarket (note the steel towers and milled slots in the hub) AND is designed for custom aftermarket clutch plates.

I wouldn't bother trying to find another hub and fucking around with R&I'ing it into that basket because I'd be condemned to hunting weird clutch plates probably long out of production.

Post a clear brightly lit photo of your transmission shaft (which based on the trashed hub I suspect is damaged) and one of the opposite side of the transmission showing the end cover as "early" has no meaning and specific info helps us help you and we don't know what other parts the previous owner swapped out!

I'd replace the transmission internals and clutch with a later spline shaft takeout (cheap and easy vs buying a new Andrews mainshaft). Ring gears vary but they bolt onto the later clutches (after drilling out the rivets) so no big deal to match up if you want a low cost solution.

What to do depends on what parts you have handy, budget, desires and how you intend to use the motorcycle. What year is the bike or is this just a loose transmission? Tell us a lot more about what you have to help us help you.
    Last edited by farmall; 03-07-2020 at 8:39 AM.

I should be coming home with an 84 FXRDG tomorrow. I'll post pics if I get it. It's not stock as far as looks go, but the frames not chopped. I plan on making this my main bike It'll will be my upgrade from my 883 XL.

Here's a couple FXR's from some kick ass 90s movies I like
    To bring this thread to date again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i013795.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	104353

"Grace" it's been posted on this thread before everyone knows this bike and movie I'd hope.

Name:	4b9f6f4146eae47d0a2ef6477d7cfdaf.jpg 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	104354

And the custom FXR from Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man, love it or hate it. Movies kinda cheesy, but its a good one.

Get Adobe Flash player

A seller on the FXR Alpha group https://www.facebook.com/FXR-Alpha-P...6795591365432/ machines upgraded clutch release forks for the diamond end cover five speeds and steel clutch cable brackets (also fracture prone but the release fork is what usually snaps). I didn't keep track of who since I don't run any early boxes but I've replaced busted customer forks often enough I would buy one in advance. The FXR Cheat Sheet group is useful too (I hate Facebook but some content is worth making a dummy account) https://www.facebook.com/groups/883380758355050/.

Heres my new bike! And thanks for the info Farmall I'll keep that in mind and try to pick one up here soon for when I need it. A few of my pics and the previous owners.

84 FXRDG 80" evo

Name:	20210712_172215.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	104372

Name:	20210712_174152.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	104373

Name:	20210712_172208.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	104374

Name:	20210712_174226.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	104375

Get Adobe Flash player

Good score, been running my 85 for years, and yes, the clutch release fork has snapped...Standard clutches can't stand serious horse power and the mainshaft/hub swap is useful. If you are running the standard single front caliper , replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Good score, been running my 85 for years, and yes, the clutch release fork has snapped...Standard clutches can't stand serious horse power and the mainshaft/hub swap is useful. If you are running the standard single front caliper , replace it.
    Thanks! I plan on swapping the pipes for a 2 into 1, I like the look, but they're a little too loud and a 2 into 1 would give me a little more performance. Reliability over performance is what I'm after though.

I'm looking at the Supertrapp with the removable plates and the Bassani road rage 2 or 3. Lowbrow has that kerker supermeg but its sold out and I'd rather have a chrome or polished one anyway. Probably go with the Supertrapp. I don't like the look of the Thunderheader really, I'd rather have something shorter and more upswept.

What pipes are you running on yours Hoghead?

I'll look and see what caliper is on it, I might go with the Tokiko swap I've seen that done before.
    I may upgrade my suspension later on when my bank account recovers some. The previous owner had all the gaskets and leaking areas fixed and all the electrical stuff done so everything is good to go on it as far as I know.

I'm open to suggestions on stuff this is my first big twin so any turning advice would be cool if anyones got any.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    The Bikers Choice (cheap) caliper adapters work to put the HD "non-Brembo" takeoff calipers in place of the stock turds. I had to shave the back of the calipers on my bros '86 slightly with a flap wheel to clear an old AMF front mag he bought by mistake but it was only a couple mm.

The dual disc "late 35mm" sliders go cheaper than the expensive 39mm style which still require adapters (the 2000-up 39mm sliders do not).

I have a Road Rage on my FXLR and like how it tucks in and mounts to the trans door. Thunderheaders are over-rated (I have one of those too and had to replace the idiotic early mount famous for cracking pipes). I won't be buying another. I would buy another Road Rage.

If possible save up and go stainless since no coating holds up over time.

No great need to dump cash into the suspension for normal riding. Swap fork fluid (since nobody changes that) and brake fluid (nobody changes that either but it beats overhauling the brakes) while you're at it. FXRs don't have to become money pits (I beat the shit out of mine for many years with only cam/carb/ignition/gutted mufflers on stock crossover pipes) but like all HDs owners tend to add stuff because why not. Go ride the thing then figure out what YOU feel like improving (besides the awful front brake).
    Last edited by farmall; 07-13-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Go ride the thing then figure out what YOU feel like improving (besides the awful front brake).
    That is what I'll do once the weather clears up here.
    Exhaust, carb tuneing, and air cleaner are happening for sure. Midpegs for sure I got most of the stuff for them on the bike. I think I'm just missing a few things from the brake side.

I had read on here, on some other threads about you having some trouble with the Thunderheader exhaust, that steered me away from it. Plus Its a little too long looking for me.

As far as suspension, once I ride it a while I'll know if it needs a suspension upgrade or not. I dont stunt ride or ride wheelies. So nothing major if I do upgrade the suspension.

Thanks for all the useful brake info. I'll look into upgrading mine here soon.

Get Adobe Flash player

BTW the front mag is a later replacement and of course can be kept if ya eventually go with a 39mm front end (the 2000-up style is the best way to get dual discs and modern brake choices). The rear fender looks like the kit HD sold (my FXLR came with one from a previous owner) and is also not stock.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    The rear fender looks like the kit HD sold (my FXLR came with one from a previous owner) and is also not stock.
    Yeah the previous owner said the guy before him put the Fatbob style fender on, he just painted the bike and got it reliable and ran it. I like it. It's different than all the other club style FXR's. I'm gonna switch it up a little with the 2 into 1 though.

The Supertrapp with the tuneing plates comes in stainless steel so I think I'll go with that it's only around $650

Name:	20210714_190454.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	104403

I'm having a hard time getting the bike to idle. I tried to get it started today and ran the battery dead trying. I could get it started with the choke and it will idle with full and half choke but its revving like it doesnt need choke.

Also I havent got to ride it much since buying it but it does good going down the road but when coming to a stop you've gotta feather the throttle to keep it going.

I looked and the carb is the stock Keihin butterfly. The idle/mixture screw on my carb is still plugged would that have anything to do with it? I have no clue what the jetting is either. I dont really want to rejet at the moment cause I'm switching to 2 into 1s anyway so I'll have to rejet anyway here soon just waiting a few weeks to order the exhaust.

Last thing the plugs that were in it were gapped at like .033 and pretty carbon fouled so I put in a new pair and gapped them to .040 based on what I've read they should be around .038-.043.

I dont wanna clog up the fxr thread with my questions so if I need to make a separate thread just let me know. I can probably figure it out on my own. I'm just new to big twin evos and I'd appreciate the help of anyone knows.

Edit: I took the float bowl off and theres lots of gunk in there, the main jet (it's a .170 main) had gunk around the hole, the whole outside of the carb is gunked up.

I'm gonna take the carb off tomorrow, and order some jets and a idle screw adjuster for the plugged screw. After some research I found the Andrew's accelerator pump kit probably get that also. Gonna get some .165 - .175 main jets and some .50 - .54 pilots to tune this thing in.

This was helpful If anyone ever has a problem with the stock Keihin Butterfly carb:

https://tinyurl.com/ButterflyCarbHDforum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210715_151529.jpg   20210716_021623.jpg  
    Last edited by SaddleTramp98; 07-16-2021 at 1:05 AM.

I cleaned my carb, and rejetted it, installed my new 2into1, and an air cleaner with a filter that doesnt get sucked into the carb.

Here's what its lookin like..

Name:	20210823_143258.jpg 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	104906

Name:	20210823_143241.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	104907

Next up is getting my mid peg stuff together so I can set it all up. I have the pegs, and a brake lever, I think all I need is a shifter, a master cylinder that will fit with my exhaust bracket in the way, and some linkages. These forwards suck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleTramp98 View Post
    I cleaned my carb, and rejetted it, installed my new 2into1, and an air cleaner with a filter that doesnt get sucked into the carb.

Next up is getting my mid peg stuff together so I can set it all up. I have the pegs, and a brake lever, I think all I need is a shifter, a master cylinder that will fit with my exhaust bracket in the way, and some linkages. These forwards suck.
    Looking good, I prefer mids too. I didn't initially catch your question on the exhaust I run but I have an elderly Vance and Hines 2-1. This works well with my screaming eagle pumper carb, branch heads, crane cam and electronic ignition.

I initially upgraded to a single floating disc with a GMA caliper, good, but it ate pads. I currently use an English made Harrison 4 pot, I preferred the feel of the GMA though. Dual discs is where it's at tho', my RMD below stops like it hit a wall.

Name:	rmdi.jpg 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	104916
    Last edited by Hoghead; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleTramp98 View Post

Like the way the pipes have goldened up to match the tins

Share This