CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 104 of 104 First ... 45494102103104

Hey guys, I am trying to fix this clutch but I have no clue what kind it is or where to get replacement parts. Its an early 5 speed for an FXR, any ideas? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch 3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	100675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	100676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	100677

Need to show a clear/close photo of the transmission main-shaft area where the "key-way" was cut into it......but for right now......you are either going to need a clutch-hub...….or:

….. this may be a good time to think about "up-grading" the transmission main-shaft to the later splined main-shaft and newer clutch-hub.
    If you have to replace the major parts......up-grade to the newer/splined shaft and hub.

Regards, RichardS
    US Army, RET

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm looking at an 83-84 FXR parts book and that clutch isn't stock. The hub is clearly aftermarket (note the steel towers and milled slots in the hub) AND is designed for custom aftermarket clutch plates.

I wouldn't bother trying to find another hub and fucking around with R&I'ing it into that basket because I'd be condemned to hunting weird clutch plates probably long out of production.

Post a clear brightly lit photo of your transmission shaft (which based on the trashed hub I suspect is damaged) and one of the opposite side of the transmission showing the end cover as "early" has no meaning and specific info helps us help you and we don't know what other parts the previous owner swapped out!

I'd replace the transmission internals and clutch with a later spline shaft takeout (cheap and easy vs buying a new Andrews mainshaft). Ring gears vary but they bolt onto the later clutches (after drilling out the rivets) so no big deal to match up if you want a low cost solution.

What to do depends on what parts you have handy, budget, desires and how you intend to use the motorcycle. What year is the bike or is this just a loose transmission? Tell us a lot more about what you have to help us help you.
    Last edited by farmall; 03-07-2020 at 8:39 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good link (not mine) for the factory 1984-1990 FXR service manual. If you own an FXR it is wise to get ALL the books earlier and later. It's 211 megs and a quality scan.

https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1...xport=download

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Farmall great link !

Get Adobe Flash player

Considering a swap between my 1990 FXR for a 1988 FXR with lower miles.

I know there have been some improvements between 88 and 90, like in the trans, clutch and starter, but still can't decide what to do, a lower miles engine is tempting, but it is worth the mechanical downgrades?
    (not looking at changing the trans/clutch/starter on the 88 to make it like a later model, too much $$ involved)

What you guys think?

Just wanted to show this off.

1984 FXRS
    Gigacycle front end
    Legend Revo arcs in the back
    SE heads and a Super E not sure about the cam or internals
    all electrics replaced with a motogadget blue

Phase 2 is waiting with a set of sputhe nitralloy cases and a Revtech 6 speed conversion. https://imgur.com/gallery/BhO1dE8
    Last edited by flanciest; 01-01-2021 at 8:08 PM. Reason: added pic

very nice bikes. im from texas and a sportster 1200 was givin to me.. didnt have cables nor handlebars. a little work. they said it needed coil. but under the seat, the wires had been cut.. So im needing some help guys with little money to spend . I think the wiring is the problem instead the coil. So i am trying to see if someone can tell me how to wire my bike up

Default My 86. Had it for 28 years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2097F45C-058F-4ECC-8EA4-58681A1F21ED.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	108186[attach]screaming eagle cam. Andrews trans with low ratio 1st and 2nd gears. Progressive suspension. Chain drive. Wide glide front end. Screaming eagle carb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5CEBD2CC-6B73-4F22-A27B-90A39A698FA5.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapy; 4 Weeks Ago at 5:55 PM.

Here is a 1993 FXRS SP I picked up. Reinstalled the factory bars, rebuilt front forks, all fluids, rebuilt carb, new tires. It sat for 15 years. Cleaned up nice.

Name:	7BB5A92C-8C9A-40AB-B833-CF1CD468A845.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	108193
    Dangit....i cant get the pic turned...
    Last edited by 63CH; 01-20-2021 at 3:45 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default High Torque Bearing kit 1985-2007 big twin five speeds part numbers

Post body removed pending more parts measurement,
    Last edited by farmall; 01-21-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shanun View Post
    very nice bikes. im from texas and a sportster 1200 was givin to me.. didnt have cables nor handlebars. a little work. they said it needed coil. but under the seat, the wires had been cut.. So im needing some help guys with little money to spend . I think the wiring is the problem instead the coil. So i am trying to see if someone can tell me how to wire my bike up
    The basics in a picture

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	108196

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ElekVins View Post

I know there have been some improvements between 88 and 90, like in the trans, clutch and starter, but still can't decide what to do, a lower miles engine is tempting, but it is worth the mechanical downgrades?
    (not looking at changing the trans/clutch/starter on the 88 to make it like a later model, too much $$ involved)

What you guys think?
    I've a 85 evo fxr , with the standard starter and clutch, had it 10 years. No issue with starter, fried the clutch plates at the strip once. Mainshaft good after 36 years!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ElekVins View Post

What you guys think?
    Why are the lower miles important to you? How MANY miles is the difference? "Lower" is vague". What are the bikes condition? Evo engines are quite durable. I would never voluntarily go back to the older system since I keep bikes for life and the advantages of running the more powerful, more plentiful (by tens of millions at least) starter that's far easier to get parts for (Denso contact kits etc are everywhere dirt cheap), ability to run pushbutton solenoid end covers, and getting rid of the old solenoid for arrangement. When keeping a bike for like (mine is my main ride) modest advantages add up over time. The later setup is much nicer if you go for more HP. Higher compression was eventually too much for my stock starter.

The old setup is acceptable and I ran mine for thirtyish years but the later has considerable advantages. Why does the 1988 owner want to trade? What carbs are on the bikes (the later CV is a much better part than the Keihin if they're still stock and the stock 1988 rubber boot intake prone to brittle and leaky boots now these bikes are older than dirt. The 1988 owner wants yours for a reason (or more than one). Either engine can easily go 100,000 miles before needing a top end job and much longer before a bottom end.

You already own the better parts. Neither transmission is likely to wear out (and both are cheap to replace or upgrade the gears only, so many replace just the tapered shaft guts with splined but retain the case and primary because the only reason to replace those is the starter upgrade not the spline shaft upgrade. While taper shaft development ended with the change to splines, the 5 speed carried on through the five speed TCs making many perfectly good takeout gearsets (the cases don't match of course but you can perform the spline shaft swap without changing the starter. You can also update the starter by modding the small hole taper shaft case and swapping to bagger primary covers to keep it cheap.

Useful info here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/883380758355050/

Is your current FXR a fadeed, pitted shitbox and you want to swap to the 1988 because it's in dramatically better cosmetic shape?

That's perfectly valid if you're going to keep it stock forever since paint jobs aren't cheap. What precisely do you want from the '88? Lots of FXR owners just collect them which is fine, but the less stock my '88 got the nicer it was to live with in detail. It went from good to much better. I wouldn't swap my other, 1994 non-stock FXLR for a mint 1988 either though a mint '88 would resale for more.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-21-2021 at 11:30 AM.

He looks classic but definitely a well-maintained bike.

Heres my contribution...

Name:	7053_Image_06.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	307.4 KB 
ID:	108843

Name:	7053_Image_05.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	108840

Name:	CaILN06.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	108841

Name:	Ie4H1Ha.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	108842
    Last edited by scottyhbomb1; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:38 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^ Nice! Late 1980's model?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    ^^ Nice! Late 1980's model?
    thank you! its a 1986 super glide

Anyone have a link or pdf for a service manual for a '93? Or any year fxr for that matter?

Share This