CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Looking for something NOT to chop...

Currently got a homebuilt sporty hardtail chop. Fun for running around ton, but id like something bigger with more power for distances, highway, etc. Not sure what to be looking at.

I been checking street bobs. I like the simplicity. Seems like a good match of what im looking for But I'm also finding that they tend to be a bit pricey. Other than cosmetics, what's really the difference between them and your average dyna glide? What's the difference In Years? 99, 02, ,06,11 etc. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that's gonna run without much trouble. No bags, no chrome. I'll prolly strip the paint and just rattle can it. Maybe change the bars and seat, then just ride.

If you had $7-10k (or less if possible) in my shoes, what would be looking at? - and again, I'm not looking for a project. I wanna buy a runner that will sty a runner. Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just saw that on bay. Seemed like kinda a deal, no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...s#ht_515wt_948

billdozer

FXR or modern bonneville would fit the bill and be under budget and fun to ride with only normal maintenance.

Get Adobe Flash player

What year fxrs?
    Money well spent on harleys part btw. It was your trek into baja on one that got me really interested in them.

billdozer

Quote Originally Posted by rus View Post
    What year fxrs?
    Money well spent on harleys part btw. It was your trek into baja on one that got me really interested in them.
    Sorry about that!

I'd say late evo FXR, but I just rode my buddy Walt's 80-something FXR on the Gypsy Run and it was great. I like the 39mm front end on the later ones and I'm sure some expert on the details between model years can tell you which changes per year made them better. I did a bunch of reading before I bought mine and the advice seemed to point to '91 and later but I read most of that stuff on the internet so who knows. Mine is a '92 and has been rock solid through a lot of different kinds of riding. It's fun as hell to blast around on and plenty capable on long trips. Walt just rode his out to CA from Jersey and back earlier in the year. You can also find later bikes under that 7-10k window pretty easy, often times cheaper than the FXR's but with bigger engines, more plush suspension, more modern stuff, etc. I just happen to really like mine. The Bob I rode in Mexico was retarded easy to ride long distances at really fast speeds, all day, day after day. I can see why people buy them. You have a rigid sporty already, so why not hit the other end of the spectrum if you can afford another bike? If I were going later model I'd look at the Superglides, since they are FXR like, just without the polarizing frame.

Good luck and post up with whatever you decide on.

fozz

90s fxrsp mates got one shit that thing can handle an runs all day never misses a beat an fa me looks like a harley should

billdozer

Here's some reading on the subject: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.0

Get Adobe Flash player

If I had the money I would get a Dyna. You can find Superglides for great prices, but any Dyna would be cool

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

What's the difference between a super glide, wide glide, dynaglide, etc?
    Don't FXRs go for a decent amount just because of thye reputation and style? I remember the couple I've seen on craigslist etc have seemed kinda expensive for early 90s bikes.

Thanks for all e advice. Bill, I'll read your link when I get to work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Im in the same boat as you. I have a hardtail sporty and XS 400 both are a blast to ride but wanna get something bigger too. I was looking at the Dyna's as well, keep it bone stock engine wise and change the cosmetics, bars, seat, maybe pipes. I almost sold my wife on it but she said I have to sell my fishing boat to get it. Damn it!!! Go with the Dyna though, or the FXR

Get Adobe Flash player

reading up on this shit a bunch.... dyna's seem to be commonly listed as FXR's, but i always think of the triangle framed 'FXR' when i hear the name. are they both FXR's? when you (bill) mention looking into an fxr, are you speaking just in general, or of the triangle frame model?

what about something like this here...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fmotorcycles

or shit, this one too....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fmotorcycles
    Last edited by rus; 09-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by billdozer View Post
    FXR or modern bonneville would fit the bill and be under budget and fun to ride with only normal maintenance.
    I think a modern bonneville would be sweet, a few minor mods and you have a great looking bike. Def one bike i want to have in my possession soon, im getting tired of my 4-speed sporty limiting my distance cuz its so damn buzzy on the highway

Get Adobe Flash player

the modern bonnies hold up well in long travel? I'm surprised at that...

Get Adobe Flash player

I know I'll get a poke from this but you could also find a decent older road king for that price range. I spent a few hundred miles on one with the lady on the back a few weeks back and really liked it and looks wise you still aren't quite in to the grandpa bike stage. I'll probably buy one next year actually.

billdozer

Quote Originally Posted by grime99 View Post
    the modern bonnies hold up well in long travel? I'm surprised at that...
    I rode my '06 T100 on plenty of 500 mile days, with a full load of camping gear. Not as comfortable as a cruiser with a windshield and all that of course, but totally capable machine. Pipes and jets are mandatory.

Rus, I'm talking 88-95 FXR.

fozz

Triangular frame , yep

Get Adobe Flash player

You can't go wrong with a Dyna (basically the replacement for the FXRs). My wife had a 2003 superglide that she sold to buy her 2007 Street Bob. Both were great bikes. My personal preference was the superglide just for overall handling and appearance reasons, but the Street Bob has the bigger motor and the 6 speed. Despite what some on here may say, I have 0 complaints about the twin cam motors. They are great for a lot of trouble free miles. They'll never be as much fun as your chop, but they're a perfect second bike. You can definitely find a twin cam dyna in your price range.

Get Adobe Flash player

bill,

why the FXR? ive heard they're super good on handling etc. anything else make them worth really looking into? any years better than others?

billdozer

Quote Originally Posted by rus View Post
    bill,

why the FXR? ive heard they're super good on handling etc. anything else make them worth really looking into? any years better than others?
    Rus, I got mine just to see what all the blabbing was about. I had heard for years that they were great, fast, handle well, best bike ever, etc. I was coming from an evo sporty and just wanted something bigger and the FXR seemed logical. Is it all it's cracked up to be? Who knows, I think half of that shit is urban legend, but I can tell you mine handles great for it's massive size. Half of the lore probably comes from guys who like to go fast buying the bikes so then everyone thinks the bikes are fast. The other half probably comes from the frame's rigidity and geometry, 'cause with an 80" evo, how could it be any faster than any other 80" evo really? Mid controls help with this too.

I don't expect mine to be a crotch rocket, but I do want to ride it as fast as possible. Like HFMC and I mentioned, you can find a Dyna in this range too, I just don't really know much about them and was interested in this bike since the FXR has some "sporting" characteristics. I can tell you they are hard to make good looking, where a Dyna would be super easy to clean up and make look nice. There is a bearing issue I've read about with the 93-94 models that would likely be changed out by now on any bike that old, I looked for a 91-92 when I was searching.

Share This