CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    BlueCollarMoto

Default TECH: Brake Bleeding the Easy Way!

Necessity IS the mother of invention.

Simple way to bleed your brakes from the caliper up to the Master Cylinder. Air likes to go ^up^ even in brake fluid. I came up with this bottle when bleeding the dual brakes on my shovel a few years ago. I used a barbed "T" fitting on the top hose to bleed bouth calipers at the same time. The TOP hose goes to your caliper bleeder. The BTM one gets submerged in the DOT brake fluid incide the jar.
    I'm sure I read about it someplace at some time. Just cant remember where or when. Why fight the air bubbles? Ya dont need the DicE sticker or the Vodka for the breaks but it dont hurt!

I think a mason jar would be better but ya use what ya have on hand when ya need it.

Just screwed two barb X male, female threaded fittings together using a faucit washer to keep it air tight. Your only going to pump a few lb at a time into it so ya dont need anything super duty here. The shrader valve was aquired at the local Napa store along with the clear 1/4" gas line tubing. After a few years it starts to look like this. I wouldnt mix DOT fluids. It's a cheap enough system. why take a chance?

You will need a bicycle pump. Dont even think about using a compressor unless ya like cleaning up DOT brake fluid off everything in your garage. (Tip) If your master cylinder is empty, fill it about half way with the brake fluid so ya dont get brake fluid streaming out like the fountain at Cezars Las Vegas! Hook the Top hose to your caliper bleeder, crack the bleeder, and give the sucker a few pumps. If ya have any resistance, STOP, UNSCREW THE JAR CAP TO DEPRESSURIZE THE UNIT, AND DISCONNECT! Ya may have a bug or dirt stuck in the bleeder! Dont want to pump junk into your brake lines. Clean the opening out b4 ya start! if its as bad as my shovel was, then replace the zerk fittings! Ya, ya need to have the cover off the master cylinder while pumping the fluid up the lines unless ya want the hose to pop off and dredge your stuff in brake fluid.

This was also a first test on the new camera. Seems like the Macro close up of the shrader and barb fittings let me down. Just a bit blurry.
    Last edited by billdozer; 09-11-2010 at 9:02 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

so, uh.. its basically a gravity fed bong?ok i take that back. you need a bicycle pump. if i wasnt so stoned id jot this down.
    Last edited by beanhead78; 09-08-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

cool sounds easy enough and you dont have to borrow your kid to help.

BlueCollarMoto

Quote Originally Posted by beanhead78 View Post
    so, uh.. its basically a gravity fed bong?ok i take that back. you need a bicycle pump. if i wasnt so stoned id jot this down.
    Hahaha! Gravity has nothing to do with it BH. Besides, it looks more like a hooka! The air bubbles want to go up so why not pump the fluid into the lines from the bottom at the caliper? A trick I used to use when doing it the Clymer way was to zip tie the brake lever down over night to let all the pesky lil air bubbles bleed up. Havent had to mess with that since using the bottle. How ya been with the health issues man? Hope everything works out for ya!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarMoto View Post
    Hahaha! Gravity has nothing to do with it BH. Besides, it looks more like a hooka! The air bubbles want to go up so why not pump the fluid into the lines from the bottom at the caliper? A trick I used to use when doing it the Clymer way was to zip tie the brake lever down over night to let all the pesky lil air bubbles bleed up. Havent had to mess with that since using the bottle. How ya been with the health issues man? Hope everything works out for ya!!!
    ive always did it the hard way .you know pump the lever or pedal then crack the bleeder, get fluid all over the place. then repeat about 150 to 300 times. and as far as the health thing goes i went back to the doc yesterday for the results on my ultrasound. she said she still wants to do a biopsy. i told her i cut out the whiskey(pretty much) been taking vitamins, milk thistle and drinking water. so she had me do another lab test to see if my levels have dropped then well go from there. just between me and you, dont tell any other guys on here but im really freaked out about getting the biopsy done. the doc said all they do is run me through a catscan, clean the area where my liver is, numb it then stick a long needle in and extract samples from my liver, painless i wont even feel a thing. yeah right! so you know im a bad motherfucker but i feel like a huge pussy right now. but dont tell anybody. so back to bleeding brakes

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a bleeder tool that works similar to that, (pushes fluid upward to MC)
    except mine has a hand held devise with a piston that pulls the fluid out of the bottle.
    it works great. the one I have costs way more than Chris's (about $40 a few yrs. ago)
    great idea chris.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a pretty ingenious idea.

Quote Originally Posted by beanhead78 View Post
    Hahahahaaa, I was going to make comment about having a similar tool already made in my garage..... That looks almost exactly like a bong i "used to have"....

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool tips.

I normally use a giant syringe from the vet supply store but using Dot 5, the rubber plunger part gets "slippery" when used a couple times after pushing fluid up from the caliper. At $2 each it's no big deal to buy 2 or 3 but it can be a pain in the ass loosing a bit of pressure mid push.

I'll probably build one of your brake fluid bongs over the winter for future use.

BlueCollarMoto

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    I have a bleeder tool that works similar to that, (pushes fluid upward to MC)
    except mine has a hand held devise with a piston that pulls the fluid out of the bottle.
    it works great. the one I have costs way more than Chris's (about $40 a few yrs. ago)
    great idea chris.
    I bought one of those things the same day I made the bottle. It never did work for me.

Get Adobe Flash player

I tried to make a bottle like that last summer, except I attempted to epoxy the tubes through the lid to seal them. Turns out, brake fluid eats epoxy. I just bought a mity-vac, and it works okay. I still like the idea of pushing air bubbles up instead of sucking them out the bottom like the mity-vac does, but like I said it works okay.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
    I tried to make a bottle like that last summer, except I attempted to epoxy the tubes through the lid to seal them. Turns out, brake fluid eats epoxy. I just bought a mity-vac, and it works okay. I still like the idea of pushing air bubbles up instead of sucking them out the bottom like the mity-vac does, but like I said it works okay.
    I think the mity vac's are capable of pushing fluid also. I bought one years ago that disappeared along with all of my tools about 5 or 6 years ago. At least I think it was the mity vac. Similar style tool. The front brakes haven't given me the hassle but trying to do the rear by myself is a pain in the ass.May have to give this a try

billdozer

Useful tech, thanks Chris.

Get Adobe Flash player

Funny, when I was in Montana after Sturgis my father in law had a funky-looking mason jar contraption in his barn. it was exactly the same thing!

Get Adobe Flash player

You sure it wasn't a penis pump?

BlueCollarMoto

Quote Originally Posted by WOMPY View Post
    You sure it wasn't a penis pump?
    With a 1/4" hose? Haaaaahahahahahaha!

Get Adobe Flash player

nice man

Get Adobe Flash player

You must of been looking in my garage window - this couldn't have come at a better time. Awesome how-to!

Get Adobe Flash player

Found these the other day...

Speed Bleeders have a built in one way check valve and replace the stock bleeder nipple.

Take a read into this features page, it's SUPER simple and doesn't require any extra tools to do the bleeding.
    Speed Bleeders

Get Adobe Flash player

Great thread and idea, dude! Good call on not using a compressor lol

khawk912

i usually put the bike on the kickstand and snap the lever for about 5 minutes, i dont even touch a bleeder and it works everytime. air wants to travel to the top and when im doing rears its the old fashioned way

Share This