CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default kz400 street scrambler

this is a copy and paste for the first couple posts. i thought i had a build thread going here, but guess it slipped my mind completely.

i just picked up this bike for $100 with a bill of sale. i have to get the VIN checked and verified for a bonded title this week, then everything can go into full swing.

unfortunately the bike came without carbs, but i have a good set of flanges, some tubing, and a cr125 carb to piece together. the idea is to build the bike for less than $500. that doesn't include purchase price or title paperwork, so it shouldn't be too difficult to keep within bounds. i have an extra set of jugs, head, and pistons, so if any top end parts need replaced i should already have that covered. i am in the process of gathering the parts needed to build my vision, so it may take a week or two to get the ball rolling. i want to strip it to it's bare essentials and give a bit of a scrambler vibe. we'll see how it comes together.

Get Adobe Flash player

i know i haven't updated in a while, but a lot has been going on. i have been getting packed up to move across town to a smaller house and garage.... not fun. i think i have everything good to go now for the most part, and parts have been coming in pretty steady so far.

i have my drum wheel in now, and need to get it fitted this evening to see how i will make the brake stay. also hoping making the wheel spacers won't prove to be that difficult. the wheel is a rd250 i picked up off of ebay for very little money. the budget so far is on track, so we'll see how that turns out. last night i put a new rear brake lever, shift peg, and points cover to replace the damaged or missing previous parts. this week i would like to get started on my intake to get it running soon.

i threw together a quick photoshop of what i am aiming for....

the rear fender will be chrome or silver along with the brake light housing. i am not sure about the seat area where it meets the tank though. i am afraid it will look silly in person, but i think i will give it a shot anyways.

also, me and a buddy decided to take our finished kz400s on a trip next year. that trip has turned into a full blown fancy run. it would be pretty cool if some others made it out as well------------>http://ozarkmountainscramble.blogspot.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

i almost forgot. in my copious amounts of boredom last week, i had some time to whip up a wiring diagram. if anyone sees anything that is out of place or just won't work let me know. i need to build the recitifier, but think i have the rest of the components ready to go.

Last edited by captainawesome; 09-03-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

found out the other day my intake flanges won't work for the single carb. they are the proper dimensions for the bolt holes, but the ID of the flange becomes too large once the rubber is removed. between that and a built in taper of the ID it seems easier to make up a set of flanges from scratch rather than try and make these work. my new main focus at this point is to get the manifold finished and the bike started. the rest will fall into place after that hopefully.

Get Adobe Flash player

bird deflector for the carb...

it is made from a fence post cap with three set screws holding it in place. still need to do a screen of some sort, but this will work for now. it is actually from a leftover pile of parts from my xs650 build i sold of a while back here----->CLICK. i know it isn't much, but it's some progress.

Get Adobe Flash player

almost forgot, i am struggling to decide on the seat area. damn you photoshop!

Get Adobe Flash player

Top one seat looks better imo, keep up the work it looks really good.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with Kevinphan. Go for the top one, except I think it will look a tad better if you do one where the leather doesnt come up over the rear fairing or fender what ever you want to call it.
    Combining the rear fender with the side panels flat track style or w/e would look sick too

Get Adobe Flash player

the bottom photo! but maybe a little too much gap between tire and fender

Get Adobe Flash player

i may just have to make both and see how they look in person. i don't think i am going to lower this one at all though.

Get Adobe Flash player

bottom

Get Adobe Flash player

picked up some stuff for the intake yesterday, but the dremel is fried. brushes were melted and had to be chiseled out. unfortunately it looks like the channels they slide through are toast. poopers...

in the meantime i got the axle spacer dimensions for the new front drum figured out. also got started on the tank mounts as well. next stop brake stay and hopefully this weekend i can get the intake underway again.
    Last edited by captainawesome; 09-16-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

cant wait to see this when your done...i love kzs

Get Adobe Flash player

single carb intake in process. i'm in the tacking phase without enough hands, so until i can get my buddy over to be my "holder" it will have to just wait. no pics of it, but i did get the tank mounts tacked into place with only the threaded bungs left to attach to the frame. i hope to have the intake finished and the bike fired up by the end of October leaving me all of November and December to finish tuning and any fab work.

Get Adobe Flash player

got some more work done on the intake over the weekend. unfortunately my angle grinder brushes are toast leaving me fumbling to finish. not much left but the snout that attaches to the carb, so I am pretty stoked on the progress.

also snapped a couple pics of the tank mounts.

Get Adobe Flash player

i finished the intake fabrication, which means i will finally get to hear it run for the first time. nothing beats that accomplishment other than the maiden voyage.

i also had Craig at Front St. Cycle bend me up some tubing to get started on the seat rails. i hope to get started on that this weekend, but really don't want to take focus off of getting the bastard running right now.

Get Adobe Flash player

What was the reason you went with single carb? Digging it though

Get Adobe Flash player

quite a few reasons really.

1. the bike came with no carbs
    2. i already had the cr125 carb
    3. building an intake for $10 sounded like fun
    4. simplicity
    5. i'm on a super tight budget

the new carb boots along with a good usable set of carbs would have set me back a fair amount of cash. there are a few good examples of the single carb setup that have yielded great results, so i figure why not give it a shot.

i also forgot to mention, i can trim a bit of the snout off to tuck the carb in a little closer. maybe another half inch or so, but i want to test it as is right now and go from there.

NHMike

Dood, that bird deflector is the boobies. GREAT idea, I can't wait to see this thing done!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Is that CR125 carb big enough to supply the two cylinders? With the angle of the carb and manifold I would imagine that cylinder #1 will obtain more fuel than #2 and may lead to a drivability concern. I dont know for sure though, Im just thinking out loud. Bad ass idea though. Keep us posted on how it works out cause I hate the stock carbs on mine and this could be a viable option

Share This