X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SaddleTramp98
    • Apr 2020

Broken shifter pawl adjustment post/screw

Im back to fuckin shit up

So I'm tryin to adjust my shifter pawl, on my 84' FXR. It has a lot of play in the lever to one side so I figured I'd adjust it before I get back to riding here soon.

I don't have the factory tools to do the job but I found an 11/16 wrench that will loosen and tighten the jam nut, and a 7/32 Allen wrench that I cut down to fit the adjustment post and as I loosen the jam nut it falls off with the broken piece of adjustment post, the rest is in the trans. I'm not sure if it was my fault it broke, or if the jam nut was just holding it on there this whole time with it being broken. Regardless I need to fix it.

What is the best way of going about fixing this? Pull the trans? Or what? should I upgrade anything while I'm doing this? Whether it be having the trans off or pulling the cover. Maybe upgrade the shifter pawl? My trans is the old school 5 speed, tapered shaft, oil filter underneath.

thanks in advance I've got this posted on another forum but I'd like to hear from you guys. I've never messed with the trans on a bigtwin or ever really and I could use some tips on what to do.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

a couple of photos would be helpful; can you post a couple of the broken part?

this may be helpful:

1984-86 FXR Parts Catalog

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      a couple of photos would be helpful; can you post a couple of the broken part?

this may be helpful:

1984-86 FXR Parts Catalog

https://www.ratbikeservice.com/HD/in...parts-catalogs
      I'll post some more pics tomorrow but it's the shifter adjuster screw for the shifter pawl. It's on the trans case, it's part number 21 on the parts diagram below. I can get a replacement from Jim's or alot of other places sells it.
      It just looks like it's gonna be a bitch to get to, I gotta remove half the bike to get to it.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
        • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230210_010213.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	1323498

Name:	20230210_010221.jpg
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1323499

Name:	20230210_010237.jpg
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	1323500

Name:	20230210_010354.jpg
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	1323501

Name:	20230210_010427.jpg
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	1323502

Here's some pics of the damage

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

oh ya, part #21, on page 28 of the parts book from the link above.

Don't know how to get at it, but found the adjustment on pg 398 of Donny Peterson book, here: https://books.google.ca/books?id=PHJ...%20fxr&f=false
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

You will have to pull the transmission. Get an H-D service manual, you will find all the steps.

If it's any consolation, you didn't break it. It was undoubtedly already cracked and barely hanging together.

Jim

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by JBinNC
              You will have to pull the transmission. Get an H-D service manual, you will find all the steps.

If it's any consolation, you didn't break it. It was undoubtedly already cracked and barely hanging together.

Jim
              Thanks Jim, I should have a factory manual here soon and then I'll tear into it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;