Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Looks wet and bad.

I figger you're proficient at bunkering but if necessary to bolt then return later for the insurance agent (nobody wants that but shit happens) I'm about six hours nawth (near Manning SC just off I-95), well inland and have plenty of space to safely and discreetly stash loaded trailers or whatever under armed guard (me) with no public access.

Dunno what you have access to but shipping containers are typhoon rated so if ya have a connection they're worth keeping in mind for emergency storage.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

It's coming your way too ...

Hoping it has lost it's punch by the time it gets to the Carolinas .. ??

Last edited by Dragstews; 09-28-2022, 4:56 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Bring it on. I treat natural disasters like training opportunities (including "lessons learned" notes military style).

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Ian is now a Category 1 storm as it moves through Central Florida at 8 mph with catastrophic winds ...
          It's been raining alligators & manatees, where I'm at, about 6/7 inches so far with more on the way ...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Ian weakens to tropical storm as of 5 a.m. Central Florida slammed with flooding rains ..

Ian is moving north-northeast at 8 mph and winds had slowed to 65 mph. It was located 40 miles southeast of Orlando and 35 miles southwest of Cape Canaveral.

A turn toward the north-northeast is expected later today, followed by a turn toward the north and north-northwest with an increase in forward speed Friday and Friday night. On the forecast track, the center of Ian is expected to move off the east-central coast of Florida later today and then approach the coast of South Carolina on Friday. The center will move farther inland across the Carolinas Friday night and Saturday," the National Hurricane Center said.

Here in Florida 2.2 million are without power ..
          Crews from 26 states are coming to assist restoring power ..
          It's a mess down here ... The outer bands of Ian are still hammering us with gusts up to 65 mph .. And one or two more inches of rain ..

... /// https://youtu.be/ErGlPwAVgp0 \\\ ...
          Last edited by Dragstews; 09-29-2022, 7:18 AM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

What fun stuff do you do and stock for disaster prep?

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall
              Run of the mill stuff ...
              Water, gas, batteries, food ..

My house has Off-Grid Solar Power (Monocrystalline Solar Panels) ..
              We make sure the battery is fully charged by only using the power company's electricity until needed ..
              Gives about 5 days of usage (No Sun to recharge) before going dead ...

Fortunately during Hurricane Ian's rampage we didn't have a power outage ..

Speaking of Ian, now that it's in Atlantic's warm waters it's a Cat 1 Hurricane again ..
              Will be making landfall around Fri 2 PM in your backyard ... Be safe ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-29 182218.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1322959
              Last edited by Dragstews; 09-29-2022, 5:49 PM.

Comment

• rockman96
                • May 2018

We always have plenty of groceries/canned goods on hand, food and water won't be an issue for a while. I like to keep spare Olights ready (besides my EDC), I keep a gen (on propane) ready to go at all times, ice-melt is on hand, propane burner and grill to cook on, etc.. If we are expecting possible outages we'll make sure all laundry is done prior, things like that.

We WILL have hot showers, lights, chargers, and fresh coffee even with no utilities.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Cool solar setup. How long have you had it? Anything you'd add or change? What's the max load you've hand on it?

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

How long have you had it?

Bout three months ...
                    It has cut bout 85% off the ele. bill per month ...

Anything you'd add or change?

More panels would speed up the charge rate and allow to sell current back to the power company .. (Hadn't seen that yet, If we didn't have a huge demand to run the house could receive a kick-back)

What's the max load you've hand on it?
                    15 kilowatts ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-29 225902.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1322960
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 09-29-2022, 9:00 PM.

Comment

• flatman
                      • Sep 2017

rockman, just curious what do you use the icemelt for?

Comment

• rockman96
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by flatman
                        rockman, just curious what do you use the icemelt for?
                        The driveway and walks. Not often, but maybe once a year or two we get ice and snow.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

What is "Ice and Snow" .. ??

Originally posted by rockman96
                          The driveway and walks. Not often, but maybe once a year or two we get ice and snow.

(I vaguely remember.)
                          __________________________________________________ _

Ready to be installed ...

Got a pretty stock look going on but for the oil tank and tranny ...

Harley should've done that back in 48 ..
                          Yeah .. Ele start, 5-speed trans would have been the "Cat's Ass" back in that day .. !!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Farmall, say how you dealing with Ian's wrath ??
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 10-01-2022, 2:01 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

I slept through Ian then took advantage of the soaked ground to trim my fair-sized used steel collection so I can finish (well, this stage anyway) my shop. I also torch cut when it's raining because that's cool and comfy.

I wear a wide-brimmed hard hat to keep the rain off. Anyone who hasn't examined how ironworkers do their thing and the HIGHLY optimized gear (sleaver bars, bull pins, spud wrenches etc) they rock is missing out. I ain't one but they build modern civilization so they're worth listening to.

If I had to live in a much more threatened zone my house and everything else would look like an offshore oil rig and that's not a joke since steel is so easy to work with and I fucking love industrial environments. It's especially easy to elevate steel structures above any reasonably (or unreasonably) likely flood and the big 'uns survive the North Sea. I've always disliked wood as building material since termites devour that shit (they're really bad in SC and modern wood treatments are useless plus the wood becomes even more of a sponge).

Getting fucked by storms is kind of optional for gearheads. I like the solar idea and the size and rating of your setup is about right for my low demand. When the time comes it will be easy to mount atop one of my containers and the battery bank etc can live inside. I've looked into portable military and jobsite solar and will copy some of those features including maintenance-friendly mounting which can fold flat so it won't act like a sail during storms but mainly cuz I work alone so it all has to be SIMPLE and EASY. I ain't getting younger so I'm pushing hard on infrastructure for the next couple years.
                            Last edited by farmall; 10-03-2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Cool info ....

The Mohawk Indians shaped the New York city skyline with building the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the George Washington Bridge and the World Trade Center.

IDK ... Think I'll keep my ass closer to the ground, it's not very far to fall down from there .. !!
                              (Don't think OSHA was around back then ??)

Good to hear that you didn't wake up in the ........

(Wouldn't have been very far away ... You could've walked back)
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 10-03-2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• rockman96
                                • May 2018

how ironworkers do their thing and the HIGHLY optimized gear (sleaver bars, bull pins, spud wrenches etc) they rock is missing out. I ain't one but they build modern civilization so they're worth listening to.

I've always disliked wood as building material since termites devour that shit (they're really bad in SC and modern wood treatments are useless plus the wood becomes even more of a sponge).
                                Heh, I was working at a site back in the 80's, and there was a younger iron worker that was a real workout freak. Instead of eating lunch like everyone else, when the whistle blew he'd throw a come along over each shoulder and start climbing vertical risers (I-beams) to the upper structure. Too much energy... Can't get away with shit like that these days.

Yeah, termites suck. In SC it isn't a matter of 'if' you get termites, its 'when' you have to deal with them. They're one reason I built my newest shop with concrete, block, and mortar. Eat this, motherfuckers!

Originally posted by Dragstews
                                IDK ... Think I'll keep my ass closer to the ground, it's not very far to fall down from there .. !!
                                (Don't think OSHA was around back then ??)
                                Formed1922 (as Bureau of Labor Standards) ยท April 28, 1971
                                Last edited by rockman96; 10-03-2022, 3:21 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;