• Show
Clear All
  • KT
    • Aug 2009

What can happen in 7 hours? This

Started out today got out at 3:30-4 pm like I planned

2 hours later it looked like this...

Now it looks like this

I have two problems low battery which I have ben fighting and I am more than sure it is faulty wiring somewhere on my part

Second is a blown headgasket I must have got something wrong in the torque when I fixed the rocker box gasket ...

Back to the drawing board
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

well at least the rear wheel still looks good.

Comment

• revmike
      • Nov 2009

I have to run my 750 without the headlight because it kills the little bit of amperage I need to keep the bike running. Off I can run forever, on about 5 miles. Check the wattage on your light should be around 55w unless the brits do something different.

Have you done some tests on the electrical output or checked the draw on the battery when it's off?

I'm switching to some low watt LED bulbs to at least help the problem, hopefully....

Good luck and keep us posted....

~Rev Mike

Comment

• steffan
        • Dec 2009

ahhhh,...the price we pay to play the game.
        that sucks!

people always ask me why i like old stuff. they point out the obvious that i will always have to work on it. i just tell them "thats half the fun"

Comment

• KT
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Torch
          well at least the rear wheel still looks good.
          nope thats fuckered up too ...The tire is not over to the right enough even with the spacer it still diamond marked the drive side were the chain hits occasionaly ...but it's all good =)

Comment

• KT
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by revmike
            I have to run my 750 without the headlight because it kills the little bit of amperage I need to keep the bike running. Off I can run forever, on about 5 miles. Check the wattage on your light should be around 55w unless the brits do something different.

Have you done some tests on the electrical output or checked the draw on the battery when it's off?

I'm switching to some low watt LED bulbs to at least help the problem, hopefully....

Good luck and keep us posted....

~Rev Mike
            I believe brits should not be above 35w , I think something is going on with my tympanium, Reason I think this is because the bike will run great then after a short time the battery starts boiling over once I lose enough acid it won't charge ...Only thing I can come up with on this one is that the Voltage regulator (tympanium) is letting it over charge and boil the battery ...Make sense or am I way off base????
            Last edited by KT; 08-07-2010, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• KT
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by steffan
              ahhhh,...the price we pay to play the game.
              that sucks!

people always ask me why i like old stuff. they point out the obvious that i will always have to work on it. i just tell them "thats half the fun"
              I had about 2 different cars stop and 1 guy in a RV ,ask if they could help in anyway ..and all of them was guys that use to own Triumphs and felt my pain heheheh ....Can't tell you how many bikes went by and just looked at me and never stopped ....

isn't like any of them could have helped but there is your biker brotherhood for ya ...I'd say 99% of the 40 bikes I watched go by were rubs ass fuckers on their $30,000 Harleys ....
              Last edited by KT; 08-07-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• steffan
                • Dec 2009

ive lost alot of faith in hd riders. being one myself thats prettuy sad. went to the harley drags and my friend and i were the only hds that showed up to race. all the others just bench raced on the side lines. make my bsa look a million times better. well,....thats because it is better.

Comment

• fozz
                  • Apr 2024

if the batterys boilng try a heat sink , they been on triumphs fa yrs an worked

Comment

• bhead1968
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by KT
                    I believe brits should not be above 35w , I think something is going on with my tympanium, Reason I think this is because the bike will run great then after a short time the battery starts boiling over once I lose enough acid it won't charge ...Only thing I can come up with on this one is that the Voltage regulator (tympanium) is letting it over charge and boil the battery ...Make sense or am I way off base????
                    Don't go past 45w max on the headlight, make sure your Alternator is pushing out the juice it needs to. I know its pricey, but I went with a Magneto, I have a total of five wires and if my alternator/Headlight craps out the mag gets you home. With a blown head gasket is another story.

Comment

• KT
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by bhead1968
                      Don't go past 45w max on the headlight, make sure your Alternator is pushing out the juice it needs to. I know its pricey, but I went with a Magneto, I have a total of five wires and if my alternator/Headlight craps out the mag gets you home. With a blown head gasket is another story.
                      I know I kind of think the electric was a omen cause I would'nt have noticed the head ...but the low voltage made the bike not fire right and pull over to see wth was going on ..Last time the battery did this was after getting back from the getdown trip ....Last time I filled the lost acid and the bike was running at idle with 13 rev it up it would climb to 14 something ...I have a new Hunt mag sitting in a box been back and forth on if I want to use it on my bike or on the 68 build ....

Comment

• Torch
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by KT
                        I know I kind of think the electric was a omen cause I would'nt have noticed the head ...but the low voltage made the bike not fire right and pull over to see wth was going on ..Last time the battery did this was after getting back from the getdown trip ....Last time I filled the lost acid and the bike was running at idle with 13 rev it up it would climb to 14 something ...I have a new Hunt mag sitting in a box been back and forth on if I want to use it on my bike or on the 68 build ....
                        hey Kelly I don't know if you are running a boyer or not but low battery voltage will cause a boyer to go into full advance, if you were cruising along at 1/2 throttle @ 2300 RPM and your motor was at full advavce that might have fried a head gasket.

Comment

• KT
                          • Aug 2009

Well the head gasket was due to a torque wrench that was not reading right reassembled and torqued with a good wrench ...and the battery well I took care of that too....
                          Attached Files

Comment

• JuanCarlos
                            • Apr 2024

Glad you got it sorted out. You hittin the Hole shot?

Comment

• KT
                              • Aug 2009

Yea but I don't know if I am taken the bike or not ....Wife's summer quarter will be over by then and she will be on her off time before fall starts I might do like I did at the getdown and have her follow in the truck ....Then again who know there is some time before it happens lots can change ...But with the hunt mag on it I should be away from any battery problems ....The battery was what really shut me down going to R4YL ...I just happen to notice the head leak when it quit running

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;