Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shovel625
    • Mar 2018

They are as reliable as you build and maintain them. If you never service it and beat it to hell and back, itll be a shitbox. If you maintain it, do regular services, use quality parts, it will be a lifetime machine for you, with years of enjoyment.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
      • Apr 2010

BTSV por siempre, que viva the putt, putt sound they male, soothing, and oddly satisficing

Comment

• montuckymatt
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by CDeeZ
        Matt! How about a video with the new cams sounding off? Also, tell us more about your electronic ignition. That's something I'd like to do to mine.
        I run an ebeyond 2000 electronic ignition. Bolts right into the timer. Appears oem except for an extra wire running to the coil. Nice thing is you can convert back to points roadside if you had to. I've got a few thousand trouble free miles on mine. Just set it and forget. I never thought I would run anything but points....I love this unit though

Comment

• Liam123
          • Apr 2024

Honestly, yt is garbage when it comes to that stuff. No, they don't perform the same as an OHV but for their time they were great bikes. The quote about heavy flywheels sounds more like hear-say to me, heavy flywheels make for easier starting and a smoother engine (maybe that's a problem if your engine braking a lot?). I fell down the flatty rabbit hole about 2 years ago and now I own 2, a 45 and a k-model. The 45 is getting T&O's torque monster wheels in it (which are heavier than stock) to stroke it out to almost 900cc, KHK style cams, aluminum heads, and a big ol port. None of that is going to grenade the engine, just make it usable on the highway (maybe, we'll see when it's done).

The thread speaks for itself that flattys are awesome, so either journos and youtuberz don't have the experience or are trying to clickbait ppl into watching them bash on a bike. I didn't get into them for the reliability or performance myself, I got into them bc of the look and when I think of an old Harley I think flathead. I just take them for what they are, 80-year-old motorcycles.

All the best

Comment

• CDeeZ
            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by montuckymatt
            I run an ebeyond 2000 electronic ignition. Bolts right into the timer. Appears oem except for an extra wire running to the coil. Nice thing is you can convert back to points roadside if you had to. I've got a few thousand trouble free miles on mine. Just set it and forget. I never thought I would run anything but points....I love this unit though
            I'm definitely going to get one of those electronic ignition setups on mine since you like yours. This is the last thing I have with points and I look forward to ditching them.

Comment

• pete808
              • Apr 2017

thanks CDeeZ, I'm in Hawaii, not many UL riders out here. I think I have seen 1 or 2 others on the road. I am sure there are a couple more out here but mostly on the Big Island.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by pete808
                thanks CDeeZ
                What for my good sir?

Originally posted by pete808
                I'm in Hawaii, not many UL riders out here. I think I have seen 1 or 2 others on the road. I am sure there are a couple more out here but mostly on the Big Island
                I don't know if I've ever seen in person another UL actually going down the road and I'm in the central contiguous! When I was up at Mama Tried last March, there were 2 or 3 ULs if I recall. And at least one of them didn't even run at the time.

Comment

• pete808
                  • Apr 2017

[QUOTE=CDeeZ;859755]What for my good sir]

You said my UL was a good looking bike, just saying thanks for the compliment

Comment

• CDeeZ
                    • Oct 2019

[QUOTE=pete808;859769]
                    Originally posted by CDeeZ
                    What for my good sir]

You said my UL was a good looking bike, just saying thanks for the compliment
                    Sorry, I'm a bit of a dumbass sometimes lmao. But yes, your UL is on point man.

Comment

• BubbaRobert90
                      • Jan 2018

Sorry to be tardy to the party,

I would absolutely LOVE to own and ride a 45 flathead. I am in South Jersey, and have seen plenty of guys riding around on them, and seen plenty of them in Cheap Thrills shows I've been to.

The only "bad" thing I've ever heard about them: I was out riding around and saw a guy and his flatty parked on the side of the road. I pulled over to see if he needed anything (not that I could provide too much support; I ride a 90's Sportster). He said something along the lines of "I think it got too hot, this is the first time I've brought it out since it got built." He didn't need anything just was waiting for it to cool off so he could get it back to the house around the corner. I went on my merry way. About an hour later he wasn't there anymore, so guess it wasn't too broke down.

I don't know much about them and have zero experience riding one. I've never owned or ridden one before, but would gladly buy one if the price was right and the opportunity presented itself.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by montuckymatt
                        Interesting. I'd not heard of that one so thanks for posting.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by BubbaRobert90
                          The only "bad" thing I've ever heard about them "I think it got too hot, this is the first time I've brought it out since it got built." .
                          I keep trying to share an image with Imgur which is what I've used for a few years to fulfill that task. But, it isn't working for some reason.

In the meantime, I wanted to share this image regarding the temps of an air cooled flatty. Post #3 has the image:

Reportedly from the 1942 Fort Knox Armored School Handbook

Point being is that yeah, they run kinda hot, and apparently are quite tough in that sense.
                          Last edited by CDeeZ; 09-07-2022, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• shank1kole
                            • Dec 2015

Thank you for the heads up on the electronic ignition Montuckymatt!
                            Just got my first flathead and I am building a parts list. I am leaning towards a supercharger on my unit, and that ignition has huge advantages to hook into a Control unit.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• CDeeZ
                              • Oct 2019

Flatheads Forever!

Comment

• BruceKoukalaka
                                • Jun 2018

I'm still hoping to find a 45 someday!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse