Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pliers
    • Feb 2018

novice machining stuff

Recently bought a TOS SU32/500 lathe. I have a smaller Atlas inherited from my Dad that I've learned some basics on. I plan on cleaning up this one and using for bike/farm stuff. 240v 3 phase, I would put it on a cheap chinese drive but it came with a rotary phase converter that just needs 1 new cap so I'll run it with that for now. I'll probably completely rewire, new conductors, contactors, etc and can detail that here if anyone is interested ( make my living as an industrial Electrician, so I do have background in that sort of thing...) Anyway, thought I'd put something on CC for like minded people.

This is a czeck machine, not a ton of parts support but I'll make due...Hopefully the experienced machinists (JB and others) will offer some tips along the way.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220820_181711.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	1347939Click image for larger version

Name:	20220818_181912.jpg
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1347940
    Last edited by Pliers; 09-04-2022, 5:53 AM.
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

Nice! I would recommend replacing all of those caps together, tho... Electrolytics have a shelf life when new, and since one has failed the others aren't far off. Post a pic of the entire rotary converter.

Comment

• Pliers
      • Feb 2018

Good point Rockman. If I stick with the phase converter I will do so. I havent bumped the motor yet so hopefully all is well when I get it rigged up for a test run...I'll take some converter pics and post, thanks

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Three phase makes cleaner cuts than single phase and RPCs are tough. I should have caught onto that earlier and gobbled more such like the large air compressors I used to pass on.

Swapping caps is wise advice and convenient before installing the RPC.

Mine is wired with twistlocks so I can run anything I wish immediately. Rather than being trapped by hardwired power points I ran SOOW cable etc like a jobsite so I can instantly reconfigure my shop as I add equipment. That serves me well with machine tools and welders. I threw a VFD on my little Bridgeport for variable speed control and my lathe is getting one after I upgrade the motor since its power is marginal.

Water based coolant makes life cleaner and avoids oil-based chip "granola bars". I copy my pro machinist bro and apply by plastic soda bottles with a 1/8" hole in the top for squirting. The various misters work too but are far from critical for hobby use which ain't production.

Learn how and were to score tooling in your area. Self and bros buy during periodic economic downturns and are ready to move anything at zero notice without a rigger.

That's a capable lathe I'd not mind having. Nice score.

Now time for a milling machine, manual surface grinder (those tend to go cheap, my bro bought a runner for 150 bucks for the mag chuck worth much more then we discovered it ran fine), tool and cutter grinder... It's addictive.

Comment

• Pliers
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by farmall
          Three phase makes cleaner cuts than single phase and RPCs are tough. I should have caught onto that earlier and gobbled more such like the large air compressors I used to pass on.

Swapping caps is wise advice and convenient before installing the RPC.

Mine is wired with twistlocks so I can run anything I wish immediately. Rather than being trapped by hardwired power points I ran SOOW cable etc like a jobsite so I can instantly reconfigure my shop as I add equipment. That serves me well with machine tools and welders. I threw a VFD on my little Bridgeport for variable speed control and my lathe is getting one after I upgrade the motor since its power is marginal.

Water based coolant makes life cleaner and avoids oil-based chip "granola bars". I copy my pro machinist bro and apply by plastic soda bottles with a 1/8" hole in the top for squirting. The various misters work too but are far from critical for hobby use which ain't production.

Learn how and were to score tooling in your area. Self and bros buy during periodic economic downturns and are ready to move anything at zero notice without a rigger.

That's a capable lathe I'd not mind having. Nice score.

Now time for a milling machine, manual surface grinder (those tend to go cheap, my bro bought a runner for 150 bucks for the mag chuck worth much more then we discovered it ran fine), tool and cutter grinder... It's addictive.
          I tend to use twist locks and SO quite a bit as well, also pin and sleeve...fortunately i have access to alot of industrial electrical stuff for cheap.

For rigging I usually use rol-a-lift or a home made version. Strapped to one another with whatever machine in the middle, can winch onto a tilt bed no problem. We always have johnson bars and pipe for rollers in the truck as well.

I missed out on a lot of the tooling that ended up in a different sale, but theres another equip auction this week, local stuff has been going for cheap lately.

I'll get some lathe/rpc pics posted this week if I get some time to work on it...

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Pliers,

If I ever move shop, I will probably be stuck with single phase. I'm going to try to remember that this is your area of expertise, and hit you up with questions on the phase converters, etc.

Jim

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Comment

• Pliers
                • Feb 2018

I haven't had much time to clean up machine lately...However. I did go to an equipment sale that was close by and made a couple good scores (I think so anyway). Another TOS, this one an SN40-B with an aloris cxa tool post with multiple tool holders, bits, etc for $250. This is another 3 phase unit. I couldnt pass it up as its worth more than that in scrap...missing in picture is all of the easily movable stuff, tail stock, chip pan, etc for when we moved it...Now to see which one to sell...Click image for larger version

Name:	20220911_120446.jpg
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	1322893

Comment

• Pliers
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by JBinNC
                  Pliers,

If I ever move shop, I will probably be stuck with single phase. I'm going to try to remember that this is your area of expertise, and hit you up with questions on the phase converters, etc.

Jim
                  For sure Jim, hell, I'm close enough, I'll come down and help you hook everything up

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;