Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 7and7is
    • Dec 2012

Sportster fires when key is turned

My son and I went for a ride today, and we stopped for a road side break and when we got ready to get back on the road my son put his key in and turned it and the bike tried to fire (Not pushing the start button) so I was like what the fuck!, tried it again and it sounded like a pop through the carb, doesn't do it every time it's random, and the bike starts and runs fine, just wondering if anyone has had a simular issue?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

A Dyna S will fire on power up or power off, sometimes. I had my FLH start up and run one time when I only turned the ignition switch on. (Good cylinder seal!)

Jim

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

If the ignition coil is grounded when you turn the ignition switch on or off all coils will spark once as the field builds or collapses. In example Points that are closed the type of solid state ignition that holds the coil grounded until it gets a signal.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• 7and7is
        • Dec 2012

Thank you guys, soooo you don't think I should be, looking for a short? I did move key to under the battery tray, but that was pretty simple.

Comment

• dankmelater
          • Jul 2019

My Sportster does this intermittently too. Dynatek 2000i ignition, my buddy's Dynatek S ignition does the same thing. Every now and then, more likely to happen when the bike's hot, I turn the key and it ignites. Pretty normal, but I never had it happen with my stock ignition setup.

Comment

• Down
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by 7and7is
            Thank you guys, soooo you don't think I should be, looking for a short? I did move key to under the battery tray, but that was pretty simple.
            You won't find a short, don't worry. It's just how these ignitions are sometimes. My Dyna S did this too.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;