CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Couple Noob questions on aftermarket oil pump install on '75 shovel

I've got the drill jig and want to put some grease on the cam basket side to catch metal flakes from drilling. Is there enough room to get in and do it, only removing cam cover & ignition plate? Is it better to go ahead and remove tappets and gears as well?

I appreciate the advice.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Once you remove the cam cover, the cam will come right out. Before you remove the cam cover, take the pushrods out to unload the cam. It would be easier to also remove the rear tappet block but not absolutely necessary. It would be a good time to inspect the cam lobes and journals, and the inner cam bearing, and the tappet rollers. All are problem areas in old shovel motors.

When installing any oil pump to a big twin, it's best to remove the pinion gear and the oil pump drive gear behind it on the pinion shaft. That allows more room to work, and allows you to spin the oil pump shaft gear to check that the oil pump turns freely as you assemble it onto the case. You must have a pinion gear puller because the pinion gear is mounted on a taper, and it is TIGHT.

Good luck with it,
    Jim
    Last edited by JBinNC; 02-28-2021 at 4:27 PM.

Thank you very much Jim! I appreciate the information!

Get Adobe Flash player

I did it a few months ago
    just removed the rear Tappet block, put a big dollop of LM grease above the breather window where it breaks through & also had a clean rag below in case it didnt catch it all,
    then was gentle when finally breaking through, the grease caught all that came out & I was easily able to get it all out, inspected it all the way and nothing got in the motor, just be real careful when ya do it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1902.jpg   DSCN1903.jpg   DSCN1905.jpg  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 03-01-2021 at 6:57 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Some aftermarket pumps don't require drilling the motor case for venting the pressure relief valve ...
    They have internal venting ...

I'm with Jim on this. An old mechanic buddy of mine said ALWAYS make sure it could spin easily before putting everything else back in. These are somewhat precision parts coming from separate factories at different times, why would anyone think they would actually just work like they're supposed to?

Share This