CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Anyone ever replace this mess with a neck strut? [evo sporty]

I started cutting that extra bit of neck gusset off to replace it with a strut and saw inside and now Iím kind of inspired

Has anyone gone through the trouble of removing all the extra plate that wraps around the head tube and neck?

Anyone wanna talk me out of it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	109099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	109100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

The XR frame, which the Evo Sportster is sort-of based on, looks like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B004E7C-BB41-420A-9D95-A9C5E10A0DE8.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	109101 - note that the lower tube is the larger of the two. The BSA all-welded frames were much like the Evo Sportster.

Fenland Choppers have been making Sportster frames with a single top tube for about 15 years now, and I haven’t heard of any problems from that.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

On that factory frame, the fabricated neck is what gives the front of the frame its torsional rigidity. You cut the sheet metal away, and there is nothing left. If you are good with building an entire front section for that frame, have at it. Otherwise, if you cut it up, it may well end up taking up space in a corner. Back in the seventies kits were offered to extend and rake frames, much like the hardtail kits today. That seems to be what you are proposing to do.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Saw this 2002 Sporty neck stripped on a JJ thread:

Name:	hd sportster neck bare, 2002,  JJ, 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	109104

Name:	hd sportster neck bare, 2002,  JJ, 2,close.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	109105

As Jim noted; back in the '70s, Santee was one company that made hardheads to stretch and rake neck:

Name:	Santee gooseneck conversion kits.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	109106
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 02-21-2021 at 7:18 PM.

Shit that’s what I was looking for

Who posted it? I’d love to look in to what they’re doing and how it turned out

But in response to Jim, of course I wouldn’t just leave it like that
    A neck brace was the first order of business but trying to figure out where gussets would be needed was the next.

I’ve been looking back and forth at my big twin paughco frame trying to imagine this sporty neck stripped and figure out what I could do to maintain the structural integrity of the neck

Which is why I was wondering if anyone had at least documented it cause I’m sure it’s been done plenty of times over the years

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

I cut my sporty frame down to the neck only. Put it in a jig and built the rest of the frame from the neck back. Backbone, Down tubes and a country bar like the big twin frames. Almost five years later not issue.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nobody buys Harleys for the handling and plenty of chopper frames with modest gussets survive just fine. I peeled the gussets off an Evo Sporty frame to harvest the neck tube and it's not hard work, just cover the VIN to protect from weld spatter. I use aluminum tape but if I do it again I'll slap some thin sheet steel over the VIN and give it two tiny tack welds easily ground off later. It wasn't worth photographing since that JJ thread has excellent photos.

A 6" angle grinder is best for cutting discs (6" discs have higher edge speed, last longer and reach further) and if you nick anything just weld and blend with a flap disc. Use a proper welding machine (not some 120V FCAW shitbox) and you'll be fine. If not utterly confident in your welding then tack it and have a pro finish weld. He can grind out your tack welds if he doesn't like them, that's a nice thing about welding.

Get Adobe Flash player

I cut out the factory gusset of the last sportster I owned, put some plate back in to support what I had removed. Had a much more talented friend of mine do all the finish welding. I rode it for another year before selling and never noticed any handling or stress issues.

Last edited by Vinson; 02-25-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Share This