CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Young and inexperienced looking for help with my S&S Shovel!

Hey all!
    I'm getting ready to take apart my 93inch S&S shovelhead stoker with dual plug heads for the first time.
    From what I can tell I need to replace the rockerbox and head gaskets, but I want to make sure I know what gasket kit to get before I go ordering the wrong thing.
    Trouble is, I'm not sure what size bore this engine has got going on. Is there an easy way to check this without taking everything apart first?
    I've been searching google and reading the S&S catalog trying to figure out what my engine is, and either I'm slightly dumb or this info is just hard to find (or a bit of both).

I'll include some pics of the numbers on the cylinder heads and crankcase, cant see anything for numbers on the jugs though except for a hard to read, 4 digit number near the bottom just above the lifter blocks (I'll include pics of those too..)

Also can't find any info on my crankcase and the number stamped on it doesn't seem to be very commonly used...

Any information or tips is very much appreciated!!

And while I have your attention. What mainshaft support bearing do you guys recommend for an open primary?

Thanks!

A.K.

I reached my limit for attachments so I decided to include the pic of the crankcase and not include the pic of the jug since you cant make out the numbers on that from the picture any way. From what it looks like to me though, the number on the front jug is 1176 and the rear jug number is 2826... Seems short for a part number.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HDhead4.jpg   Hdhead3.jpg   Hdhead2.jpg   HDhead1.jpg   HDcase.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

If your motor is in fact a 93cu.in. motor, it will have a 3 5/8 bore. S&S uses a copper head gasket on all their 3 5/8 bore shovel cylinders, but other companies offer other kinds of head gaskets for that bore. The 3 5/8 big bore shovel cylinder has been around for decades.

If your cylinders are S&S manufactured, they will have S&S cast into the base flange, and maybe a number. Your heads are definitely S&S, the part numbers are visible between the rocker boxes. The rocker boxes appear to be H-D, so you can use the stock rocker box gaskets for those.
    Your heads are plumbed for outside oil returns, so I assume that you have already removed those lines.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Contact S&S with the case numbers and they should be able to give you the info and point you to the engine manual download.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    If your motor is in fact a 93cu.in. motor, it will have a 3 5/8 bore. S&S uses a copper head gasket on all their 3 5/8 bore shovel cylinders, but other companies offer other kinds of head gaskets for that bore. The 3 5/8 big bore shovel cylinder has been around for decades.

If your cylinders are S&S manufactured, they will have S&S cast into the base flange, and maybe a number. Your heads are definitely S&S, the part numbers are visible between the rocker boxes. The rocker boxes appear to be H-D, so you can use the stock rocker box gaskets for those.
    Your heads are plumbed for outside oil returns, so I assume that you have already removed those lines.

Jim
    Hey Jim, thanks for the info! That certainly helps!
    The engine was put together by one of my dads old buddies in the late 90s and I'm the only one who's ever had a bike built around it.
    As far as I know for its history it was put together as a 93 inch and I'm the first one to take it apart since.
    And yes, its all copper lines on the bike so all the oil lines etc. were removed while the engine was still in the chassis.
    And just for fun, since I like showing off my dad's handywork, Here's a pic of my bike when it's all put together
    Thanks again!

A.K.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myhopper.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	293.9 KB 
ID:	109096

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Contact S&S with the case numbers and they should be able to give you the info and point you to the engine manual download.
    Thanks! I'll be giving them a call tomorrow

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ARKamps13 View Post
    Hey all!
    I'm getting ready to take apart my 93inch S&S shovelhead stoker with dual plug heads for the first time.
    From what I can tell I need to replace the rockerbox and head gaskets, but I want to make sure I know what gasket kit to get before I go ordering the wrong thing.
    Trouble is, I'm not sure what size bore this engine has got going on. Is there an easy way to check this without taking everything apart first?
    I've been searching google and reading the S&S catalog trying to figure out what my engine is, and either I'm slightly dumb or this info is just hard to find (or a bit of both).

I'll include some pics of the numbers on the cylinder heads and crankcase, cant see anything for numbers on the jugs though except for a hard to read, 4 digit number near the bottom just above the lifter blocks (I'll include pics of those too..)

Also can't find any info on my crankcase and the number stamped on it doesn't seem to be very commonly used...

Any information or tips is very much appreciated!!

And while I have your attention. What mainshaft support bearing do you guys recommend for an open primary?

Thanks!

A.K.

I reached my limit for attachments so I decided to include the pic of the crankcase and not include the pic of the jug since you cant make out the numbers on that from the picture any way. From what it looks like to me though, the number on the front jug is 1176 and the rear jug number is 2826... Seems short for a part number.
    hey brother! wondering where you got that oil V block at your timing hole.
    Need something similar

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumbleWelder View Post
    hey brother! wondering where you got that oil V block at your timing hole.
    Need something similar
    Hey buddy! I wish I could help you out with that V block, but it is custom piece that an old friend made specifically for this engine when it went together. I'll be down at the shop later. I can put up some better pics of it if you would like a closer look?
    Sorry I can't be of better help!

-A.K.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post

Jim
    Thanks again for the info! I haven't logged in for a bit. But I was able to locate the part number on the cylinders and they are in fact S&S. For budget sake, I ended up going with a James gaskets kit.

-A.K.

Get Adobe Flash player

Concerning the outside oil drains ...
    S&S made the heads with outside drains as an option ..
    Once you get the rocker boxes off you'll be able to see 1/8"npt plugs installed in the ports for down the jugs drain ...

Cases should already be drilled for the jug drains, if you was in mind of going back to the Oem type drains....

Share This