Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dorkster11
    • Jun 2022

1979 XLH restomod

I’ve had this thing for a year and a half now and finally started making some changes that i had been thinking of from the beginning, so i figured I’d share here to document it and post some questions I’ll have along the way. Here’s the bike as i got it…

Nice little machine but definitely needed some straightening out. Here’s the photochop concept i had whipped up for it shortly after picking it up…

So i rode it for the first season i had it before starting to tear into it a little. First order of business was making a new seat. Made new pan…

Two layers of kayak foam glued together and to the pan…

Then some sanding to shape and i ended up with this…

Then came the tank. Blasted off all the surface rust, shot it with some black, some new decals, and a nice 2k clear over it and it was looking pretty nice. Replaced the cap and petcock as well…

Cut a couple inches out of the middle of the apes that came on it to get a more narrow look. Too narrow for the stock clamps so had to make and weld some mounting posts to the bottom. I always thought that looked cleaner than clamps anyhow…

Between the bars, the tank, and a seat cover made by my momma, it was looking alright…

Next came the shocks. I knew i wanted covered shocks, but the upper mounts on a ‘79 are different than other ironhead models, so i wouldn’t be able to fit the top dome caps on. Didn’t really like how square the progressive style covered shocks looked without the domes, so i went the sacrilegious route and mounted these off a late 80’s Honda shadow vt1100, haha. A little more shape to them, which i thought added some subtle style. Never mind the low bars in this pic…for a hot minute i had some long shocks and low bars on this thing with thought of doing something of a tracker, but I’ve had that fun before. Decided to stick with my original plan, but the bars stayed on for a bit…

Starting to match my photochop! Not sold on the seat profile, but it works for now. Also not sure I’ll go with the fork shrouds or not. I actually fit some on a while back, but wasn’t convinced on them. Maybe because they were covered in surface rust just like the tank. I might polish them up or shoot them black and try them again sometime…

So that’s where I’m at currently. Next I’ll be doing a remote front master cylinder set up because my brake perch had a crack in it and split in pieces when tightening it down the other week. Better in the garage than on the road, but now that i need to do something with it, i thought I’d try for a cleaner look and something I’ve been very curious about for a long time. I’ll update with progress on that next time.
  • Dorkster11
    • Jun 2022

Here’s what I’m thinking for the remote front brake reservoir location…

Turns out I had all the parts laying around to do this. Unfortunately, the more modern sport bike caliper I had would not fit due to it hitting the spokes when I tried to slip it on the rotor, so I bought this off an ‘07 Vulcan 1700. A little more slim on the back side. Not bad for $12 on eBay. Another $12 for shipping, but still not bad…

I was also surfing fab kevin’s site and noticed someone else had the same idea running one of those calipers on their spoked wheel sporty, so it was nice to get an idea of what it would look like once done…

I don’t have the nice drilled rotors, but hopefully it will work as nicely as his looks. I’ll be removing the disc from the other side and running a single disc and caliper.

Comment

• golfish
      • Jul 2017

Well done sir

Comment

• Dorkster11
        • Jun 2022

Originally posted by golfish
        Well done sir
        Thank you, golfish!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum