CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: EZ Out

Default EZ Out

How many here have been saved by the stripped bolt/screw remover EZ Out? I stripped not one but TWO clutch cover Torx screws and EZ Out saved my a#@ lemme tell ya. In fact on the second one I was down the last & largest bit until I finally learned the correct technique and like magic that frustrating stripped screw backed right out. Jeez was I happy!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Definitely a great tool when they get you outta trouble.

Get Adobe Flash player

Except when they break they always break flush with the top of the bolt. Then you are way more screwed than you were before you used this marve4lous tool! After a few learning experiences they had me trained and I quit using them. If I got to0 have something like an easy out I drive an Allen wrench in. If it breaks it will break in the bend leaving plenty of room for a pair of Vice Grips to pull the broken part.
    Dusty

If I had to remove torx screws with stripped heads I would just center-drill them until the head pops off.
    Then I would remove the cover and use vise-grips on what's left of the screw.
    It's absolutely no fun when the ez out breaks in there, which it will do way too often.
    I have tried them on bolts broken off flush many times with very little success also. I believe that hammering a tapered wedge into a bolt can expand the bolt slightly and make it even more difficult than it already was to remove.
    Welding a nut onto the broken bolt has been my go to solution for this for many years. I'm pretty sure the heat is the key.
    I've also removed stuck bolt heads with a cutoff wheel on several occasions by simply cutting straight into the head in the very center until the cut is about to reach the other metal door then hitting what's left with a cold chisel and hammer.
    As far as the EZ out goes, an old mechanic once told me that if the original bolt head wasn't strong enough to move the rest of the bolt, why would I think that an even smaller piece of metal was going to do It.
    I'm glad that it did work for you, but I think you are lucky!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 70fatster View Post
    If I had to remove torx screws with stripped heads I would just center-drill them until the head pops off.
    Then I would remove the cover and use vise-grips on what's left of the screw.
    It's absolutely no fun when the ez out breaks in there, which it will do way too often.
    I have tried them on bolts broken off flush many times with very little success also. I believe that hammering a tapered wedge into a bolt can expand the bolt slightly and make it even more difficult than it already was to remove.
    Welding a nut onto the broken bolt has been my go to solution for this for many years. I'm pretty sure the heat is the key.
    I've also removed stuck bolt heads with a cutoff wheel on several occasions by simply cutting straight into the head in the very center until the cut is about to reach the other metal door then hitting what's left with a cold chisel and hammer.
    As far as the EZ out goes, an old mechanic once told me that if the original bolt head wasn't strong enough to move the rest of the bolt, why would I think that an even smaller piece of metal was going to do It.
    I'm glad that it did work for you, but I think you are lucky!
    ^^^This. I've been extracting broken shit from all sorts of machinery for decades and mostly use screw extractors for soft hollow parts like broken pipe nipples and fittings. I use machinist's "center drill" bits to start holes as they're much stiffer than twist drills and designed not to "walk" which twist drills will do even in a rigid milling machine.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you have access to a mill, you can use left hand screw machine drills, and when drilling the recalcitrant fastener for the easy-out, the drill will often spin the fastener out, saving you the final step.

Jim

I've so far removed (3) stripped bolts from my Sportster using EZ OUT. It's all in the technique.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 1200XLC View Post
    I've so far removed (3) stripped bolts from my Sportster using EZ OUT. It's all in the technique.
    Well when you finally break one if you are lucky and it's in a through hole the technique is to just drive it out, but the probability is much higher that it will be a blind and will involve solid carbide drill bits if your EZ Out is a cheaper one if it's EZ out brand diamond drill or an EDM machine very rarely welding a nut to it works because they are so hard that they break right below the weld as they start cooling. But definitely you will learn new techniques. Have fun!
    Dusty

Share This