CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: build input

Default build input

barn find 70 xlch matching frame motor rest of bike was customized at some point. build idea was to cut frame for hard tail (already ordered led sled tail) now having second thoughts on going this route. hard for me to cut up 50 year old original frame. what do you guys think

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

go with aftermarket rigid frame, no oem parts injured, and it'll look better and cleaner.

Get Adobe Flash player

Alternatively, you could go bobber, without molesting the frame.
    Get more tins and cut them up, shorter shocks, till imagination ends...

I have been thinking, will there come that day, where pure stock XL's will be sought after, or not?
    With today's trend to cut them up and weld back together.
    I guess, it's more self satisfaction of doing it yourself, as opposed to buying one already chopped on another's ideas.
    Plus, there is the hassle of getting a build title however difficult, or not.
    Are there going to be any purists out there who enjoy the vintage OEM bikes?

my 2 cents
    Last edited by 10scDust; 02-10-2021 at 6:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Get Adobe Flash player

Gotta depend on what you want. Let the purists save what they want, plenty going for f-all. Maybe in years to come people will regret chopping them . W.T.H. , let them. These bikes were never pretty, stacks of potential.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70sporty.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	108781

Get Adobe Flash player

My 2 cents, there are enough crap bikes out there ready to be chopped up. If it is original, I would want to keep it that way.

Right now, chopped Panhead 10-18k, original Panhead 25-50k....

Get Adobe Flash player

DB -True . But it sounds from the O.P. that this ain't no totally original barn find.
    P.S. Snow White says hi.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just build whatever you like. The museums have enough originals (which if you ride them wear out and require restoration after which they cease to be original).

Ironheads aren't Panheads, they're just old and given how many years it took Pans to appreciate to their current price in inflated dollars, (the dollar isn't a constant so constant dollar comparisons require using an inflation calculator) the return is still quite squat compared to an index fund even they weren't really "investments. Ironheads don't sell high because they're the least desirable Sportsters and the least desirable "real Harley". If anyone but HD made them they'd be forgotten but they can make nice looking choppers and they're cheap (until you have to do a complete overhaul which has to be done correctly).

I know they exist but I've never met a motorcycle shop owner who made an Ironhead his main ride and ignored big twins. That should tell your more than words can say.

Chopping is an ideal use for them as they're better folk art than functional machinery. They were replaced to keep the MoCo from dying and that's worth remembering along with the rose-colored nostalgia for them as symbols of a dead era.

Just do a nice classic chop job and you'll have a fun toy.
    Last edited by farmall; 02-10-2021 at 9:14 AM.

thanks for responses! going for it .with less heart burn about chopping up frame

Get Adobe Flash player

I have an Ironhead chop and I’m currently building a Shovelhead chop. The only reason I chopped the Ironhead was because it was cheap. I paid $600 for it and spent about $3000 over the years on it. Then, it needed a new top end and I just couldn’t justify spending the money on it. Because I took the cheap route building it, it isn’t exactly what I want and turning it into what I want would cost way more than I could ever come close to getting out of it. I’m building my Shovelhead exactly as I want it, and it will end up costing me about what I could sell it for. I learned a lot chopping the Ironhead, so I won’t say don’t do it, just don’t spend too much money on it. If you already have paid for the hardtail, I would go that route. Easier to title and because it would be a 1970 motorcycle versus a 2021 motorcycle, you will likely have fewer equipment regulations to violate.

Share This