CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Wheels through Time Dale Walksler

Founder of Dale’s Wheels Through Time Museum in North Carolina

PICKERINGTON, Ohio — AMA Life Member and AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famer Dale Walksler, founder of the Dale’s Wheels Through Time Museum, died at home Feb. 3 after a long illness.

An entrepreneur as a teenager, Mr. Walksler found his life’s passion in motorcycles. He bought and sold Harley-Davidson parts during high school before launching Dale’s Hogs motorcycle store in Illinois when he was 18.

At 22, he became one of the youngest Harley-Davidson dealers in the country when he opened a dealership in Mount Vernon, Ill.

As his business grew, Mr. Walksler moved his motorcycle collection to the dealership to attract customers. In 1999, Mr. Walksler sold the dealership and relocated his motorcycle collection to Maggie Valley, N.C. The new museum opened in 2002.

Although the Dale’s Wheels Through Time Museum is open to the public only six months each year, more than 100,000 visitors pass through its exhibits annually. From December through April, the staff restores bikes and arranges new exhibits.

The museum’s popularity earned Mr. Walksler appearances on several television programs about vintage car and motorcycle restoration, including “American Restoration,” “Chasing Classic Cars,” “American Pickers” and his own show “What’s in the Barn?”

Those shows helped popularize vintage motorcycling, as well as put forward a positive image of the motorcycling lifestyle.

Mr. Walksler was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2019. His biography can be found at motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?racerid=514.

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Founded in 1924, the AMA is a not-for-profit member-based association whose mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling. As the world’s largest motorcycling rights and event sanctioning organization, the AMA advocates for riders’ interests at all levels of government and sanctions thousands of competition and recreational events every year. The AMA also provides money-saving discounts on products and services for its members. Through the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Pickerington, Ohio, the AMA honors the heroes and heritage of motorcycling. For more information, visit americanmotorcyclist.com.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thats a total bummer, Quite the museum from what I heard. Any idea of what the future plan is? Everyone is going to die sooner or later,,,,(Death & Taxes) so, hopefully they have a foundation or trust that will keep it running?

A reminder to you all,,, sooner or later you all will deal with this either for you, or someone you know, so make a will, have a plan and make it executable so that your wishes are known and followed if possible. Too often i deal with or know people who didnt and their family either is wondering WHAT to do with your stuff, have some totally inaccurate ideas about (Dear Lord, please dont let my wife sell my shit for what I told her I paid for it), or get ripped off in the process.

I find typically people either over value or under value stuff in these situations. Worse is when some money grubber relative or alleged friend swoops in to plunder.

I hope the Wheels thru time, lives long and prospers, I am sure that was his intent.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug-Wise words.
    Sad about Dale, I wish I had met him.

He was a huge figure in the antique motorcycle world, it's sad to hear for sure. I always enjoyed watching his shows. He really knew what he was doing.
    His son is totally involved in the museum and I would expect him to continue the legacy. They really respected each other and worked together well. I would also expect that with the value of the stuff in that museum he would certainly done some estate planning!
    I had hoped to go there one day and maybe shake the guys hand if he was around. Still hope to get there one day And check it out.
    He will truly be missed in his world!

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm pretty sure his son "Matt" will pick up the ball and run with it ..

For the last few years he's been the spokesperson on the U-Tube vids ...
    Does a dang good job with the vids... Very entertaining chap I'm here to tell ya ..

... Ouch ... !!
    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-05-2021 at 6:15 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

When I saw that thread title I had a bad feeling, man that sux, I agree about his son seems like he has a real passion for motorcycles.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just found out about this. Pretty bummed as I was within 50 miles od maggie valley a few yrs ago but didnt make it by. Would have liked to talked him up

Get Adobe Flash player

I just learned about this place on youtube a few nights ago.

Sad. Looks like someone with a real vision and a passion who made it all come true? Doesn't happen a lot.

A shame. But at least he got to see his dream become a reality within his lifetime. That's fabulous.

Hate to hear it, I enjoyed his show and learning about the vintage bikes. Definitely hope the son keeps the museum running, it's on the list to see someday.

Get Adobe Flash player

It appears they are selling off at least SOME of their bikes, who knows? Maybe just excess bikes, maybe the kid has a different vision and going to restock with crazy Asian bikes instead.

But on the FeeBay, there was several BSAs listed,, (2 BSA unit twins and a BSA Goldie, and I think a Triumph flat tracker) that is being sold by some wackjobs at KAPLAN cycles who claim to be a New England museum, they say they are selling them on behalf of the Wheels thru time collection.

I dont know what exactly is the story but I hate seeing those listings by KAPLAN,, they do the wackiest auctions and I am amazed anyone buys their stuff. I made fun of some of their past auctions on some British Bike forums and seems I am not alone as others thought the same.

Not my circus, not my monkeys if someone wants to look stupid selling stuff on the net, But I find their auctions annoying as hell,, so, they would not be my first choice if I needed help selling my stuff.

Share This