Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plasmaman
    • May 2022

Small Home-Made Outdoors CNC Plasma Table

A couple of major obstacles to having a CNC plasma table are the dust and debris they create, and the required floor space. It's kind of like having a pool table, in that operating space all around its sides are necessary.

I solved the problem by building a small (2' x 2') unit which I keep outside under my deck. It sits just outside my basement door, while the compressor, plasma cutter, and computer are inside. The cables and torch can be installed in a couple of minutes. When it's not in use I protect it with a fire pit cover.

Once you get used to one of these things, it's hard to imagine manually cutting out frame brackets, etc., with a hand torch and grinding them smooth.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Plasmaman; 05-10-2022, 2:11 PM.
  • confab
    • May 2019

Cool!

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

That is very cool, I just got into using a hand held plasma cutter, computer driven would be the bomb.

Being the tool junky I am and seeing how this would be a fun toy I have some questions.

How think of plate can you cut.

What is actual machine and what software drives it. Is it one where you can upload a basic CAD drawing and go or???

Inquiring minds need to know!

Thanks

Comment

• Plasmaman
        • May 2022

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
        That is very cool, I just got into using a hand held plasma cutter, computer driven would be the bomb.

Being the tool junky I am and seeing how this would be a fun toy I have some questions.

How think of plate can you cut.

What is actual machine and what software drives it. Is it one where you can upload a basic CAD drawing and go or???

Inquiring minds need to know!

Thanks
        I made my machine using aluminum extrusions from the 8020 Company and linear rails with roller cassettes. The electronics and software are from FlashcutCNC. With my plasma cutter (Hypertherm 45XP) I can cut up to about 3/8".

Not counting the compressor and plasma cutter, I have about $4K tied up in it. It can easily pay for itself with some of the stuff it can do. See below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	1322413 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	1322414 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrooge & Associates.jpg
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	1322415
        Last edited by Plasmaman; 05-10-2022, 5:06 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;