• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leodavut
    • Oct 2019

Panhead case leak ffs

Hi guys,

Searched but no luck.

I recently had my engine rebuilt, like 400 miles ago recently, and I've developed a terrible leak from between the cases at the front. I have attached a pic of the spot. It's literally pissing, did 75 fairly easy miles yesterday and lost about 250ml of oil.

Really can't be pulling the engine to split the cases and reseal so what would you recommend for a fix? oil and petrol resistant jb weld or similar? I'm thinking clean the area with a degreaser, brake cleaner or something and then smear some shit in the leaking area. any particular product to try? I see a few products claiming to be specific leak sealers, oyltite-stik was one. anyone ever used it?

Any ideas welcome and please don't tell me the only fix is to split the cases again I might actually cry.

Thanks
    Attached Files
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Looks like there is a crack in the right side case, below the threaded hole for the front case bolt. Yes, cleaning it and smearing something on the area is your best hope. I would choose something flexible, even, dare I say it?, silicone sealer. (Shudder)

Jim

Comment

• leodavut
      • Oct 2019

it's oil and road grub smeared by the wind and made to look like cracks, i nearly had a heart attack myself when i took the picture but i cleaned it all up and there are no cracks thank fuck. i was thinking about that, must be something somewhat flexible to withstand the vibrations i suppose

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by leodavut

Really can't be pulling the engine to split the cases and reseal
        Aaaaaaa errrrrrr .... Why not ??
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
          • Oct 2016

You should do it right, split em. However not gonna say I didn’t JB weld a bad case on my 1992 CBR600 commuter 21 years ago that held up well enough to last me till I sold it 6 months later. In retrospect it worked but it was a bandaid.

When you say you had your engine rebuilt 400 miles ago what does that entail?

Comment

• 47str8leg
            • Sep 2014

Are those mismatched cases ?

Comment

• leodavut
              • Oct 2019

Yes mismatched cases, but it didn’t leak before it was built.

Full rebuild, tear down clean, lots of new parts, new exhaust stubs, new inlets etc quite a big job by a reputable builder.

And I’ll need to split them eventually I’m sure, but I waited since February to get it back and have a summer of fun ahead of me! I just need to patch it up for the summer. Think I’ll try in weld

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Reputable builder should reputably split that bitch and seal it decisively after dye checking the cases for cracks. Will the builder tear it down for you after riding season?

The teardown (they fucked up so your machine should move to the front of the line) of an already overhauled machine is not a lot of work and with fresh parts throughout the labor is pretty basic but that's the builders problem.

"Waiting since February" to get it back is nothing for these antiques. If any of your expectations for antiques are conditioned by modern bikes you're in for a rude awakening. I'd ride something else and get it sorted properly. If the leak is due to a crack I would damn sure want to find out immediately.

It's only a motorcycle. If you have Pan money in 2022 surely thou hast another bike or several to choose from during downtime. If not it's a fine excuse to add something more recent and reliable while the antique gets sorted.

The builder should be able to easily tear it down, fix the fault and have it sorted in a month if there's a crack to repair, less if not since he's already had it apart. For something expendable I'd scab patch it with aircraft fuel tank sealant after through cleaning with acetone but Pans are no longer expendable.

Decide how lucky you feel.

Comment

• Tater66
                  • Mar 2019

Farmall is right. A good shop will do the right thing.

I understand wanting to ride. But at a cost of continual leaks and then out of pocket when you finally do whats best.

You could always run a screw with a rubber washer into it. I did that to a 55 Chevy gas tank and it held up for years.
                  Last edited by Tater66; 06-29-2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

A screw into a CASE JOINT??? That would deform both cases even more and need weld repair then machining or at least careful hand filing.

It does work for gas tanks though (before ethanol it was common to dissolve brown Permatex in rubbing alcohol to make expedient car fuel tank sealant and run sheet metal screws into the larger pinholes, I've seen it done though I'd just drop the tank).

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

[QUOTE=Tater66;858794

You could always run a screw with a rubber washer into it. I did that to a 55 Chevy gas tank and it held up for years.[/QUOTE]

Barkeep, No more for Tater, he's had enough ..

Comment

• pan620
                        • Feb 2013

If you goop it up, put a screw in or what ever and take it back for repair under "warranty"you will probably be laughed at, have them fix it right, if you do not have another bike to ride....walk.

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

L,

Have you checked to see if that front upper case bolt is tight? If the threads are stripped in the case, that bolt ain't holding anything together. Knowing these old motors as I do, I would say it's a good possibility.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

Kinda wild that the op is having this problem on a fresh built motor ..
                            Surely the builder would have not let it go out the door with stripped threads on a case-bolt ..

I have a wonder about internal pressures ... Breather valve timing, perhaps a restriction in the passages or the case vent hose ...??

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
                              Kinda wild that the op is having this problem on a fresh built motor ..
                              Surely the builder would have not let it go out the door with stripped threads on a case-bolt ..

I have a wonder about internal pressures ... Breather valve timing, perhaps a restriction in the passages or the case vent hose ...??
                              As much shit as I have seen from so-called "professionals" I would not be surprised.

And don't call me Shirley.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;