CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Chopper brakes

Default Chopper brakes

Ok so im building a chopper... plan is 18x300 rear and im wanting to run dual back brakes.... as in drive side has sprotor aka sprocket brake and on other side a normal disk brake... has this been done and does anyone habe any insight Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_819143468933606.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	108125

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerwood88 View Post
    Ok so im building a chopper... plan is 18x300 rear and im wanting to run dual back brakes.... as in drive side has sprotor aka sprocket brake and on other side a normal disk brake... has this been done and does anyone habe any insight Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_819143468933606.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	108125
    im no professional but im curious why you want to run dual rear brakes? from my understanding thats not gonna help you stop much better than a single rear brake..

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

It looks kool but weight transfer deloads any back wheel so there's no advantage vs a good conventional rear brake. Fab Kevin makes some nice kits with dual calipers on the same side which make much more sense than a sprotor (which is a wear part and wear parts are best kept cheap and standard, though many choppers won't see enough miles to wear out sprockets).

Disc plus sprotor is a lot of extra shit (plumbing and mounts) but do whatever floats your boat. Since it's a rigid the hard lines will be easy to manage as no flex hoses are required unless you like them or want them for maintenance convenience. Hard lines are cheap too.

Choppers aren't about function, they sacrifice function to be folk art but decent brakes can prevent becoming a meat crayon (and no matter how good your back brake is it doesn't produce the same measured result as the same brake plus an effective front brake). All braking is objectively measurable.
    Last edited by farmall; 01-16-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The op needs to chime in but lots of duel rear setups are to allow a handlebar operated brake to use as a hill holder with a foot clutch. I think that a foot clutch with a locking lever is a cleaner solution. A single caliper operated by two master cylinders requires a shuttle valve and the occasional pump up, never very satisfactory.

My 50 idling in gear to prove to a friend that it was possible. I think a cleaner solution to not having enough legs to hold the bike up and the clutch n brake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e9c371e-f40f-403c-a5ff-54467b2be245_zpss40p1nco.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	108130
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

I just can't see two rear brakes looking good. A good sprotor will stop the rear just fine.
    That's just my opinion. I did run a sprotor on my pro street that worked great.

Share This