CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Ironhead clutch

Default Ironhead clutch

Got another question on this 1972 ironhead, I set up and adjusted the clutch but the lever is basically solid and I canít pull it down to the grip. I donít have fluids in the primary yet because Iím still screwing around with it, does it need fluid to fully engage? New clutch basket, made sure the balls are seated in ramp and adjusted slack on the cable and screw in the primary as per instructions, though I am also missing the jam nut. How much travel is supposed to be in the lever when fully depressed?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

You need to go back through it again, starting with the clearance between the pressure plate and the outer plate of the clutch pack. If you don't have enough travel or clearance there, you can't get full movement of the hand lever. I think that clearance is 3/16" or so. Then the cable adjustment needs to be backed off, and the pushrod (release screw) adjustment done first. You need about 1/2 turn loose on the release screw with the release mechanism at full rest. Then do the cable adjustment last, leaving a minimum of free travel at the hand lever (but it must have a LITTLE).

Do all that, and the clutch should work slick. Whether it releases cleanly or not depends on the condition of the plates and steels, and the type of lining material used. (Hint: Kevlar clutch plates are the spawn of Satan.)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You need to go back through it again, starting with the clearance between the pressure plate and the outer plate of the clutch pack. If you don't have enough travel or clearance there, you can't get full movement of the hand lever. I think that clearance is 3/16" or so. Then the cable adjustment needs to be backed off, and the pushrod (release screw) adjustment done first. You need about 1/2 turn loose on the release screw with the release mechanism at full rest. Then do the cable adjustment last, leaving a minimum of free travel at the hand lever (but it must have a LITTLE).

Do all that, and the clutch should work slick. Whether it releases cleanly or not depends on the condition of the plates and steels, and the type of lining material used. (Hint: Kevlar clutch plates are the spawn of Satan.)

Jim
    Well thanks again Jim I appreciate the insight

My release plate with the bearing in the center has built in spacers that the pressure plate bolts fit into but they seem to be binding on the threads slightly like one or more of the spacers may have been bent or warped, could this binding be a part of the problem? I might just cut them off with a dremel or something

Get Adobe Flash player

The tubing spacers are separate parts dropped over the long studs. They are thin and easily damaged. Barnett offers a new set that are a little more robust, and have a collar of sorts where they fit against your releasing disc.

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA31C990-C709-4A7D-9D09-1D480A73F0C6.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	108142

Name:	CCB02FEB-9B94-4F84-B2A0-63034CEB0973.jpg 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	108143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7CCD7260-0138-408F-A6B1-016BB2872097.jpg 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	108144
    The threads on the rear pressure plate bolts bind slightly inside these spacers when I install the release plate that these spacers are attached to but it will seat fully when I do work it all the way on, they are probably slightly bent or warped spacers

My inner spring also appears to be slightly undersized

Name:	907FBD52-F488-45E4-AFCB-E47B0A29254F.jpg 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	108145
    Last edited by Cooldean69; 01-17-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Not sure how or really where to pull that 3/16” measurement I’m guessing it’s supposed to be between the final outer drive plate and the back of the release disk, And just use a feeler gauge or something

Get Adobe Flash player

Your spacers are upside down. They are just stuck in the disc. Pull them and turn them over. You have a stock spring pack and it should prove to be adequate. For the 3/16 measurement just use a steel rule. It is not a critical measurement, it is just a check to be sure you have enough travel for the clutch to release.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Your spacers are upside down. They are just stuck in the disc. Pull them and turn them over. You have a stock spring pack and it should prove to be adequate. For the 3/16 measurement just use a steel rule. It is not a critical measurement, it is just a check to be sure you have enough travel for the clutch to release.

Jim
    Thank you

Share This