CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Sportster evolution?

Correct me if I'm wrong but HD gradually changed the motorcycle from a street legal version of the moco's middleweight flat track racer K model into more of a middleweight sport cruiser increasing from 490lbs to 570lbs, an 80lb almost 20% increase total weight.

Too many times I read of people confusing the Sportster with a sportbike sinking thousands of $$ in a futile attempt to compete with rice rockets. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by 1200XLC View Post
    ... Too many times I read of people confusing the Sportster with a sportbike sinking thousands of $$ in a futile attempt to compete with rice rockets. Opinions?
    There's no confusion to speak of because a Sportster can be turned into a very capable sport bike with proper suspension. A lot of Sportster based 'boy-racers' and Buells are a testament to that. Even production class 883s are a blast on the track and mountain twisties.

Thank you sir. I appreciate your response.

The Sportster has carved a niche in the minds of the motorcycle public like no other ever has & probably ever will.
    Last edited by 1200XLC; 01-18-2021 at 11:06 PM.

The 883 EVo 4 speed SAVED HD I beleive it cost $3995 when it first came out (1989?). I went out and got one. EVO reliability and the price made a new HD affordable to the average person. I beleive the next year or two it came with a belt drive, then a 5 speed. My first year evo sprorty was great

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    ... I beleive it cost $3995 when it first came out...
    Ha, yea that was the advertized MSRP but if you went into an HD dealership to buy it you were SOL because not only was there essentially a waiting list but when one became available the dealership jacked the price up to over $6K. At least that was my experience around the Boston and NYC area, it may have been different elsewhere.

**ADENDUM**

I tried to find a large scanned copy of the original magazine ad but these were the only ones I could find:

(this is the one that I remember getting me excited about buying a Sporty)
    Last edited by Skjoll; 01-20-2021 at 1:18 PM.

The Evolution Sportster never sold particularly well in U.K., even at 3995 which was competitive by any standards. That said, it’s a solid bike with no real bad habits, a good value buy and I’m happy with mine. I do think they missed a major opportunity to design in proper dynamic balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    The 883 EVo 4 speed SAVED HD I beleive it cost $3995 when it first came out (1989?). I went out and got one. EVO reliability and the price made a new HD affordable to the average person. I beleive the next year or two it came with a belt drive, then a 5 speed. My first year evo sprorty was great
    ^ One of the THE best posts I've read so far on ChopCult re: the greatest motorcycle on the market (IMO anyway). HD peaked w/ the SPORTSTER.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like mine ...

[QUOTE=Skjoll;857279]Ha, yea that was the advertised MSRP but if you went into an HD dealership to buy it you were SOL because not only was there essentially a waiting list but when one became available the dealership jacked the price up to over $6K. At least that was my experience around the Boston and NYC area, it may have been different elsewhere[QUOTE]

Yep that's one of HD's biggest problems, the franchise dealership arrangement. The motorcycle lists for $4k & ends up selling for $6k.

Share This