CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Springer brake and wheel spacers.

Hey guys, I’m currently running an inline springer on my 73 fx and have it setup with a 21” single flange wheel that I converted to sealed wheel bearing and am running an 11” disc brake setup on it. I’m thinking I want to change the look and go to a 21” star hub and a stock type springer brake (I want to run the dual cam style one). My question is this, what do I need to complete that setup as far as wheel spacers go? I plan on buying this stuff repop, wheel and brake setup. It looks to me that the brake drum just bolts to the star hub and the guts (backing plate and shoes etc.) drop into it but what other spacers do I need if any? Also has anyone ever used the dual cam style brake how’s it stop? I know it will suck compared to my disc but I don’t care. Thanks for any info you guys can give me!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

maybe a bit of what you're asking, here:

Converting H-D Drum Brakes to Dual Leading Shoe

"Big twin springer
    This brake was used 1936-48 on the big twins, and 1941-57 on the Servi-Car with spring forks. It is completely inadequate for any practical use. The drum ID is 7¼”, and is therefore in-between useful sizes of existing 2LS brakes. There is a 7” 2LS brake used on Triumph 500 etc. 1968-74, but the
    Harley-Davidson big twin 1936-57 springer front drum brake

same problems and requirements mentioned above apply. There are also many metric brakes in 180mm (7.087”), but these are both rather far away from the original size, and less likely to work without considerable modification. Another metric brake that looks useful is the rather obsolete 1968 Bridgestone 350 190mm (7.480”).
    The original backing plate (shown above, right) can be modified as described with a second cam in place of the anchor post, reverse and chamfer the trailing shoe, fabricate linkage etc.

For those who wish to improve the braking with a purchase rather than a project, I suggest you explore the 45 Parts Depot brake (shown right; 45 Parts Depot Dual Cam Front Springer Brake),

which is a brand-new (not rebuilt) product already re-designed with dual brake cams for improved stopping power.
    This is a direct bolt-on to your original or aftermarket “star” hub, and requires no assembly or extra parts, click here for more details:

http://victorylibrary.com/tech/harley-2LS-c.htm

How much of an improvement is the aftermarket dual cam brake? Looking for responses from someone that has actually tried one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Whoremonger View Post
    How much of an improvement is the aftermarket dual cam brake? Looking for responses from someone that has actually tried one.
    One of my friends has one, and upon initial set-up, it didn't work well at all. One problem is that the shoes did not return reliably. I turned the cams 180 degrees, and that seemed to help, but overall the thing performed poorly. I think he went back to the stock HD brake.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Not to cause too much thread drift, the original question was about the spacers, etc. required to install the HD brake. You need a knuckle parts book. That will give you an illustration of all the parts you will need to install the star hub and brake. It's quite a list, and it will be a learning experience for you to see how the engineers of the day approached the design.

Jim

Well that dual cam springer brake setup is like $600 so if it’s a pile of junk I may just do a disc brake. I really wouldn’t mind running a 10” or smaller disc brake as long as it’s on the left side of the bike. Not sure if anyone makes a rotor smaller than 10” for a shovel type flanged wheel. I’m thinking of buying a “springer iron works” repop inline springer, they’re made in Poland. Can I run a disc brake with the stock brake tab on a springer? The angle of the brake anchor rod from the leg to the caliper won’t be an issue right? I plan on probably using a 10” rotor and a 2 piston pm caliper and making my own bracket for it.

Get Adobe Flash player

If running a star hub with factory style wheel bearings just buy a axle with spacers and such to suit the assembly and your away. Stock springer, stock hub, stock axle and spacers.

I have one of the re-pop drum brakes on my bike as well as a W&W re-pop springer. It works OK, I don’t rely on it for stopping, rather just slowing down or holding in a hill etc.

Share This