CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Vaccuum operated petcock

Got a sportster that has one of the vaccuum op type petcock. I usually just swap them out for a standard valve style. What's the deal though. I was taught to turn on the petcock, let fuel fill the bowl, give a few blips of the throttle to squirt with accelerator pump then fire it up. Seems like you wouldnt be able to do thst with the vaccuum type since it doeant pull fuel in until u spin the motor right?

Get Adobe Flash player

just disable the vacuum function; two descriptions of 'how-to':

"...Anyway,this '96 883 Sportster has the vacuum petcock and I'm not a real fan. Is there a way to replace or disable it so it works like a regular petcock?"

"Turn the petcock to off, remove the fuel line from the petcock and loosen the petcock just enough to be able to turn it so you can access the four phillips screws on the back side where the vacuum diaphragm is.
    Hold the diaphragm housing to the petcock while removing the screws, there is a spring that will try to push off the housing you are removing.
    As you remove the housing from the petcock, notice where the spring is in relation to the diaphragm?
    Put the spring on the other side of the diaphragm and reassemble."

"Turn the pet cock off, loosen the nut holding the petcock to the tank just enough to turn the pet cock 180 degrees then tighten back up. Next remove the screws holding the back of the vacuum thing to the petcock. Reverse the spring and diagram. Reassemble. Loosen nut and turn petcock back to original position."

http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums...howtopic=26063

Get Adobe Flash player

Great tips. Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great info, exactly as I did it, then I was doing some engine work and swapped out the petcock entirely to a non-vacuum type.
    My personal preference; having the petcock handle turned to the rear of the bike and that is off, full forward position is reserve, the OEM petcock operated in 180 degrees of what I always liked. Easy peasy.

Get Adobe Flash player

If I'm working on a keeper it gets a Pingel since any task I'll do hundreds or more times should be comfy, but that's a good fix for a shitty design.

If ya sell the bike brief the next owner it's modded so they don't accidentally replace it without reason.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes good point about briefing the new owner. I'll likely just replace.

I love the pingel petcock. So smooth and easy. I've been lucky to get a few of them as bonuses on bikes I've bought and never had to buy one. I always keep them to use on personal or nicer custom bikes I sell.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a vacuum op petcock that didn't fail once.

Oh, wait. No I didn't.

jimwinbush

Great tips. Thanks.
    run 3

Share This