CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default shovel cam problems

looking for some input, this is on a fresh set of fly wheels in a set of delkron cases. I have an OEM nose cone, and going with andrews 7 cam. I have it set up to receive early shovel parts (76 and down) I have the standard size pinion gear now wondering if I need to go down in size on the pinion.

I have 0 back and forth play on the cam itself im kind of at a loss

any input helps guys

Get Adobe Flash player

There is no such thing as a standard size pinion gear. The factory pinion gears range over a half dozen or so sizes, and were select fit for each motor. What you have is "A" pinion gear, the one you have to start with. If you need a different size, and it sounds like you might, you need to determine the size of the one you have, either by color code paint mark, or by measuring over gauge pins as shown in the repair manual.

To check for gear lash, which should be right at zero, the quick and dirty method is, with the cover assembled with gasket and screws torqued, see if you can slide the cam in and out in its bearings. Check it at several positions of the flywheels, noting that it takes two turns of the flywheels for one revolution of the cam. If it is free to slide in some positions but snug in others, it will run fine. If it is so tight in every position that you can't move it with your fingers, you need a smaller pinion gear, OR you have mismatched early and late gears. If the cam is so loose that you can rotate it in some positions and feel gear lash, you need a larger pinion gear.

There are also larger and smaller cam gears available, but it is easier to replace the pinion gear, and the pinion gears are more widely available.

Do not overlook what I mentioned about a mismatch of early and late gears. That WILL lead to failure!

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

found this:

Harley Pinion Gear Replacements

includes a S&S Big Twin pinion gear selection chart

https://www.ozbike.com.au/harley-pin...-replacements/

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for the info guys! It is much appreciated!!

got in touch with the guy that put the bottom end together.... we think i have the wrong cam set up in it I was using70-77 cam and pinion. quick thing about the motor I bought it off ebay for a steal big bore delkron cases full rotating assembly with S&S cyl.... well come to find out it had evo wheels in it. and an evo pinion. so we are going to try late shovel early evo pinion gear and cam

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 82ironwig View Post
    thanks for the info guys! It is much appreciated!!

got in touch with the guy that put the bottom end together.... we think i have the wrong cam set up in it I was using70-77 cam and pinion. quick thing about the motor I bought it off ebay for a steal big bore delkron cases full rotating assembly with S&S cyl.... well come to find out it had evo wheels in it. and an evo pinion. so we are going to try late shovel early evo pinion gear and cam

Great info to have. Sounds like you are on the right track here..

Remember that if you use an evo cam you need to run evo lifter blocks and lifters as well.

Good luck with it.

Get Adobe Flash player

hopefully i can get away with using late shovel stuff... we will see! keep everyone posted!

Share This