Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobbster
    • Jan 2013

Missing inner Primary bearing retaining ring

In the process of putting in a new inner primary on my 86 FXWG. In my service manual and parts manual it shows a retaining rings but when I pulled off the inner primary cover and popped the seal out I didn't see a retaining ring on either side. Didn't even notice any recesses for the rings to go into. Any ideas?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

If it's a four speed, there are no retaining rings.

Jim

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Ronnie's Harley-Davidson® offers service and parts, and proudly serves the areas of New Ashford, Windsor, Lenox and New Lebanon.

interesting; this parts image from Ronnie's for a '86 FXWG w/ 4-speed shows the bearing retainers...and don't know, but read that '86 was the last year for the 4-speeds...

Click image for larger version

Name:	HD84FXST053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1322537
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

The Devil is in the details, as usual.

'86 FXWG was a four speed.

Parts description lists #41, retaining ring, for FXST, which was a five speed.

In these transition years, being able to read and interpret the catalog listings is a learning experience.

Jim

Comment

• Bobbster
          • Jan 2013

You're right I double checked the parts manual and its not for fxwg. Rookie mistake on my part. If it doesn't take rings is there a certain spacing I need to do? The old one isn't perfectly centered. Its a little more forward looks like to make space for the seal.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Press (or tap) the bearing in until it bottoms in the bore, and press the seal in down to the bearing. If there is no inner lip in the bore, press the bearing in until it is flush with the edge of the bore on the inside. Use Loctite on it if there is no inner lip. Put a little grease on the seal lip so it doesn't run dry.

Jim

Comment

• Bobbster
              • Jan 2013

How important is the loctite? I jumped the gun and pressed it in already. It seems pretty tight in there and don't have any loctite here at the station (coast guard). Press definitely was needed. Loctited the race so it wouldn't walk but now Im paranoid the bearing will walk.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

If it has decent press, it will be fine. It can't move toward the clutch hub very far before it hits the hub, which is fine. Many of these bearings are loose in the covers, and the seal is enough to hold them in place.

Yer golden, man.

Jim

Comment

• Bobbster
                  • Jan 2013

well I figured better safe than sorry and got some green restraining compound. I pressed the bearing out but now it wont go back in. Its even gouged the face of the cylinder from going in uneven. I smoothed down the gouge and tried again.....same thing. Should have just left it alone. any ideas?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;