CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Panhead ignition timer

Hi guys, just about to check the timing on my 65' flh, and the ignition timer that's on my bike is different to the standard ones im seeing in the tech videos. Just windering if anyone has had much to do with the timer in the picture below? And im assuning it's an auto advance? Cheers!

How about a picture of your timer?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had an auto-advance timer on my '56 and had a lot of issues with it. The weights can start to stick if it is not maintained properly. In addition on both manual and auto timers you need to watch the end play where the gear meets the shaft. I don't have the spec in front of me, but the manual timer I rebuilt was 10 times the allowed end play.

Once I fixed that the bike is super easy to start and runs like a beast.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    I had an auto-advance timer on my '56 and had a lot of issues with it. The weights can start to stick if it is not maintained properly. In addition on both manual and auto timers you need to watch the end play where the gear meets the shaft. I don't have the spec in front of me, but the manual timer I rebuilt was 10 times the allowed end play.
    Yep those timers create many problems........... I wouldn't run one if it was me...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Your 65 Panhead should have an auto advance timer. It is the first year electric start and the last year Panhead and is one of the most rare configurations since it is a 1 year motor. Factory auto advance timers on slabside motors are very good in my experience - I 've had a couple and worked on quite a few. The advance units on the cone motors are a constant source of trouble. If you put a manual advance timer on it just make sure to retard it before you use the electric stat - you can cause some damage if you don't.

Just something to keep in mind.

Many thousands of miles have been ridden on slabside motors with auto advance timers.

If you want to replace it and it is OEM shoot me a DM - I'd be very interested in buying it..

What would you suggest? A mag?

Do you need to retard an auto advance timer to suit elec start?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Do you need to retard an auto advance timer to suit elec start?
    LOL Hell no, No retard needed with an OEM timer............ But with an aftermarket timer like yours who knows what you might have to do.......... I've also had one just like yours, After many problems with it not starting or running correctly I took it off and put it in a box because I wouldn't sell a problem to someone else..........

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    LOL Hell no, No retard needed with an OEM timer............ But with an aftermarket timer like yours who knows what you might have to do.......... I've also had one just like yours, After many problems with it not starting or running correctly I took it off and put it in a box because I wouldn't sell a problem to someone else..........
    That's a good way of thinking! What setup are you running now?

DoomBuggy and 69 Glide speak truth. It is very important to have the the gear lash between the timer gear and the timer dive gear within spec. Makes a HUGE difference in idle and starting. The only way I was able to get the gear lash within spec on both my pans timers was to have thicker spacers custom made by a machinist. I have oem 65 auto advance timers on both my pans. They can be a pain in the ass to get to function properly but once you do they work great.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    That's a good way of thinking! What setup are you running now?
    I have a stock OEM manual timer. I really like being able to set my advance to what the bike likes not what is pre set in the timer with the auto advance timer.......

There is NOTHING wrong with what you have. The are SUPER easy to install (If you have a make that doesnt require removing the front head to install) There is only one item you need to look at in the timer when installing Its in the instructions.

Share This