CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 77 Shovelheadhead sputters out

Hey guys, I got a 76 shovelhead 4speed and it was riding fine but now after a day or two of sitting it is having issues running. It wants to stall coming out of first when letting out the clutch, I really have to work the clutch and throttle good to not let it die coming out of first. Then it feels good in second but when I get on it in second it sputters out and dies... itís stroked to a 93Ē and has a dual Weber carb... I am going to go through it tomorrow starting with the carb but if that doesnít help, what are some other things that could be happening so I can make a list. The carb did just get a nice clean and tune so I am thinking that may not be where my problem will be. I also switched out the jockey for a regular foot shift set up. In between those days but set it up per usual so not sure if that affected anything or not either

Thanks in advance

Get Adobe Flash player

Your symptoms point to a fuel delivery or an ignition problem. You will need a dual approach to eliminate one or the other. I have also experienced the same symptoms caused by a cracked or broken ground cable terminal at the frame lug on a four speed frame. I have had that happen twice on different bikes, and in both cases, the motor would still electric start. I can't explain it, I just report it.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

You said you just cleaned the carb. Sounds to me like the carb float got knocked out of adjustment and you’re using up all the fuel in the bowl when you accelerate. That’s what I’d check first.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Your symptoms point to a fuel delivery or an ignition problem. You will need a dual approach to eliminate one or the other. I have also experienced the same symptoms caused by a cracked or broken ground cable terminal at the frame lug on a four speed frame. I have had that happen twice on different bikes, and in both cases, the motor would still electric start. I can't explain it, I just report it.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I’ll dive in today and see if those are possible problems

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    You said you just cleaned the carb. Sounds to me like the carb float got knocked out of adjustment and you’re using up all the fuel in the bowl when you accelerate. That’s what I’d check first.
    Thanks Tom, I will give it a through review and take my time checking the float as well

Get Adobe Flash player

Solved: Ground wire was loose and must of been causing it too shut off. Thank you guys!

Share This