Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

USAA Insurance, great till you really need them

As a vet I am allowed to use USAA for my insurance. They are a highly rated company and for little dings and such they have been excellent. However my wife was struck by a hit and run driver and USAA decided to total her car ( it is a Volt and they did not want to repair it because it is an electric car. )

I was in the Insurance industry for over 25 years and totally understand the claims settlement process. The insurance company always has a way to make adjustments.

Anyhow since I do know the process, I researched the current replacement cost, real costs not some damn table they use, and sent it in as proof of value. Their offer was over $5,000 below what it will cost for an equivalent replacement. They strung me along for more then a week and offered me just enough so that if I wanted to fight them, my lawyers fees would be more then the difference.

As soon as I settle I am going to cancel all my policies with them and move them over to State Farm. At least when I had them they never tried to bend me over like this.
  • DustyDave
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Geico is on the same list with me It took a lawyer to get anything, and I was insured with them and so was the other driver. Only good part was my attorney collected a few thousand extra from them after the settlement he invoked the part of my policy that was if I got hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver. Didn't get near what my Jeep was worth. Now I have everything with Grundy at an agreed value that goes up with inflation. And they are cheaper than Geico.
    Dusty
    Driving that train, high on cocaine
    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

I have my bike with Hagerty, might look at Grundy. USAA was nice as I had the house and bike with them.

And DAMN are Jeeps expensive these days.

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
        I have my bike with Hagerty, might look at Grundy. USAA was nice as I had the house and bike with them.

And DAMN are Jeeps expensive these days.
        So far I've been very pleased with Grundy They bought $1700.00 worth of T Tops for the Vette with little complaining or requiring me to jump through hoops. If you have over ten grand in agreed value they will insure everything you own quite reasonably.
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

As soon as I settle I am going to cancel all my policies with them and move them over to State Farm. At least when I had them they never tried to bend me over like this.
          State Farm has been good by me all these years, even with claims on home and auto. I shop around every 2 years or so as well and they always stay competitive or better.

Although I’m sure your experience is much more vast than my own Doom, I can attest to certain companies being a pain in the ass when it comes to claims in the auto industry as I’ve had to deal with many adjusters over the years at the shop. USAA definitely has fallen into that category for us many of times. Another one is the General, which we always joke your “Generally” better off without any fucking insurance. Also a big reason I went with State Farm, haven’t had any bullshit from regional adjusters over the years at our shop and that stood out to me.

Comment

• armand
            • Jan 2012

That’s how insurance companies make money….

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by armand
              That’s how insurance companies make money….
              Yes and no. It used to be that USAA was all about the service and making money by renewals each year. In the 10 years I have been with them I have paid around $30k in premiums for my house and cars. So instead of them paying out a reasonable/fair amount and keeping me for another 10 or 20 years, they will screw me out of about $4k and lose my business and any future premiums they may have gotten.

Trust, me that is not a sustainable market plan.

Comment

• tomsoftail
                • Jul 2014

Similar here. I had liberty mutual and so didn’t the driver that t-boned my ford. After everything was settled I owed the rental car company about $80. Why? How?

When I was hit by a different person with different insurance then there was zero out of pocket costs. Liberty mutual paid it all upfront and was generous with their estimate.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;