CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Riser bushing renoval

Need some help, please. I'm trying to change my bars and risers but after removing the risers the bushings look like this. I've tried to beet the bolts down with a hammer but no luck. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201217_203700.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	107789

Name:	IMG_20201217_203656.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	107790

Name:	IMG_20201217_203651.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	107791

Get Adobe Flash player

First off, it appears the bolt is threaded into the part that threads into the bottom of your bars.
    Trying to beat the bolt through will only succeed in peening over its end and swelling it.
    If this has happened, you will need to remedy that with a file, die grinder w/carbide burr, or something, maybe then run a die onto it to clean what is exposed from the bar inserts.
    The bolt should be 1/2"-13 thread, me assuming its off a Harley.

Meanwhile soak it down with a good penetrating oil for about three hours, or so, something like PB Blaster for one.
    After it has had time to soak, grasp the insert with a good set of vise-grips, put a wrench on the bolt head and see if it will work loose.
    Sometimes a tightening direction back to reverse direction will help work it free.
    Do not grab hold of the bolt's thread while trying this!

If this still doesn't work...
    Wipe it down to remove any liberal amounts of the penetrating oil, just wipe it off fair.
    With an oxy/acetylene torch tip, carefully choose one spot on the outside of the bar insert, pointing towards the center of the assembly bolt & handlebar insert being removed.
    Do not aim the flame at any other parts of the bike you don't want to burn, cover the gas tank if it is still present (full tanks will burn, empty ones will explode), be careful.
    Don't fan the flame around very much.
    Once the outer piece starts to turn cherry red (only at the spot of flame concentration), remove flame and allow the steel to turn back to a black or steel color, about 10 seconds or so.
    Do this a second time in the exact same spot, exactly.
    Remove and kill the torch, fasten vise-grips once again and the wrench on the bolt head, work it free.

This is how I would go at it.
    If I couldn't work it free with the soak, then I'd use the torch, a brazing tip should be fine.

Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank you for the great advice.

I made sure I didn't beat it hard enough to cause any damage before deciding to seek help. I sprayed it with a liberal amount of WD40 last night before giving up, so I'll follow up with your ideas today and let you know l.

Again thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Absolutely, just read label: penetrating oil vs spray lubricant
    You want a good penetrating oil.
    Not sure about WD-40, it may work just fine, I use it on my machines to keep corrosion at bay, as I use straight water for cutter coolant.
    Last edited by 10scDust; 12-18-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
    Absolutely, just read label: penetrating oil vs spray lubricant
    You want a good penetrating oil.
    Not sure about WD-40, it may work just fine, I use it on my machines to keep corrosion at bay, as I use straight water for cutter coolant.
    The WD40 worked, that and some vise Grips. Now my problem is the riser bushings are too tall. I was under the impression they were all the same size except Springer. I've ordered some solid bushings and am going to try those. The ones I took out were 17mm.

Share This