Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

spam getting onto this site

how come there are so many bogus 'New' members being allowed to join then fuck the site up?,
    hacks that crash the system,
    the loses years of posts on some great hard work,
    pictures of some great bikes GONE & then days of being unable to even get
    on to Chop Cult because the hackers have fucked the whole system making it unavailable,
    it makes me wonder how safe all of our details & information really are on here,

does anyone vet the new joiners or is it anyone who asks gets let in ??....
    I dont feel secure Data wise & am thinking of leaving if they keep getting accepted.....
    Is there ANY VETTING going on ??
  • 1954bmw
    • Mar 2015

Looks like that chit is gone???

Comment

• LisaBallard
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by tzienlee
      how come there are so many bogus 'New' members being allowed to join then fuck the site up?,
      hacks that crash the system,
      the loses years of posts on some great hard work,
      pictures of some great bikes GONE & then days of being unable to even get
      on to Chop Cult because the hackers have fucked the whole system making it unavailable,
      it makes me wonder how safe all of our details & information really are on here,

does anyone vet the new joiners or is it anyone who asks gets let in ??....
      I dont feel secure Data wise & am thinking of leaving if they keep getting accepted.....
      Is there ANY VETTING going on ??
      Good morning, please understand that your information remains safe and no one is harming the forum or removing photos. I delete spam accounts daily and will continue to do so. The best way you can help me is to report bogus accounts as soon as you see them. Thanks.

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Myself I appreciate the work the admin is doing Prob not even getting paid for it either

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

It is a different thing we're seeing here. These are "Spam bots"

How it works:

Some moron pays a company to "promote" his product or service, and these stupid, scripted bots go all over the internet spamming links to it everywhere they can. (They sign up on forums and post on comment sections, because that's easy to do. Remember, they're scripted and not very bright or capable.)

THEN, those links are aggregated into search engines and when the moron types the name of his company or service in, it comes up with a bunch of garbage results.. Making him think he has improved his position in the market and made his product or service more visible. When all he really did was piss a bunch of people off and make him and his brand look shady AF.

They're regular users like you and me and they have no more power or privileges than we do, unless an admin gives them that power.

Even so, if they had those powers it would make them like mods. Which really isn't that powerful and doesn't give them access to much in the way of data.

A "hack" is a different matter entirely, and it wouldn't be manifested here on the forum by idiotic robots posting nonsense. You probably wouldn't even know it happened.

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

PS: Think of them as the Telemarketer assholes of the internet.. Annoying, but not particularly dangerous.

You hang up on them IRL.. Here, you just delete their accounts and posts.

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by confab
              PS: Think of them as the Telemarketer assholes of the internet.. Annoying, but not particularly dangerous.

got it,... its ust whenever I join a forum it takes ages & load of questions relative to the forum & if ya get one thing wrong ya out, this is a great site with lots of good people & information & last year we lost almost a years worth of posts I thought from some kind of outside interferance I don't know, for me computers aint easy to navigate & I find them confusing & ya hear a lot of details being harvested for naferious reasons & yea, I guess ya get paranoid, its a shame people think its funny to feck things up for others & I guess everyone gets taken now & again, Lisa is the only mod here I ever hear doing things & I know she does a good job, i just dont understand how it all works.....

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

Totally agree.. Good people with good info, who actually know what they're talking about. Then, you lose a years worth of info and it hurts.

A lot of good stuff got wiped out. It's a shame, but it happens.

Hopefully there's more archiving going on to address a data loss like that going forward.

Comment

• DustyDave
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by confab

Well they might be dangerous if you click their links, proly only damage your confuser. Unlike Farmall whose links will dammage your eyes and brain!
                  Dusty
                  Driving that train, high on cocaine
                  Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                  Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                  And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

Well, yeah.. That's true and a good point.

If you click their links, you could subject yourself to whatever type of malware they're trying to spread. If you fill out forms or give them info, you might open yourself up to phishing type scams.

Never click a spammer's links. Just report them and let the Admins delete their crap.

Farmall should come with a warning label and probably needs adult supervision, besides.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;