CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 1950 fl panhead questions.

Just picked up a 1950 fl panhead engine. It came with a linkert carb on it. Its an m35 i Did some research and apparently the m35 Didnít come on 1950 flís it was a m74. And the venturi sizes are different between the two. I am new to linkert carbs and still learning the inís and outs. My question is can i run this m35 or should i go looking for a m74. I canít seem to find the answer to my question. Iíd like to run what i have. I assume it was running with the m35. The person i
    Bought it from had bought it like that and it sat and he never ran it. Also curious about the fuel strainer. Would like to Take it off and run a standard 1/4 fitting for regular fuel line. Is that possible? Any help is appreciated thanks for reading.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

That Knuck carb oughter be worth way more than a M74. I'll bet you can either sell and buy or trade with boot. The M35 will run fine but will be down on top end power
    Dusty

Yea not sure what the story is on it. Not sure why the m35 is on it.. if i can get it to run alright i’ll just run the m35. Just wasn’t sure. The motor is matching bellies and vin is un altered. Looks as though it is fairly unmolested. oem heads and cylinders. Oil pump the whole 9. So i’d like to keep it as original as possible. Not sure when
    That m35 made it on there. But if it will run alright i will keep it and run it for the time being. From what i know they did put the m35 on 41-47 fl’s so in theory 74 cubic inch is 74 cubic inch regardless if its knuck or pan. Am i wrong? Thanks for the info!

Get Adobe Flash player

Linkert M Model Carburetors
    New information to add to this always appreciated.
    Note that some models such as the M5,M4, etc, had both early 2 bolt & later 4 bolt air cleaner flanges and some models also had 4 lines of information on the "L&L Manufacturing" side while others of the same model had 3 lines. The "Langsenkamp"line was dropped in early 1940, so if the carb has 4 lines, it is pre-1940, 3 lines 1940 -up. Also note that some models such as the M74 & M74B had both early and late body castings and these castings overlap, and the M74 had 2 types of number stamps, early was centered, late was in the same location as the 74B.There are even a few, such as the M75, that used 3 castings.
    I have a complete list of what body castings were used on what carb models and will post one of these days when I am really bored."

M35 1 1/8" 1941-1947 Harley E,EL, 1941-1947 F,FL
    M35F 1 1/8" 1942-1948 Harley Police
    M35T 1 1/8" L1945-E1947 Harley E,EL,F,FL ( I believe this carb actually came out on early 1946 models.)
    M35TP 1 1/8" L1947-1948 Harley E,EL,F,FL
    M35P 1 1/8" 1947 Harley Police
    M35S 1 1/8" Late 1941 Harley WLDR, 1941 WRTT
    M350 1 1/8" 1950 Indian Chief 80
    M351 No production
    M3521 1/8" 1952-1953 Indian Chief 80 ( MOST 352 models are factory restamps of different carbs as Indian was using various parts left "on the shelf". They owed everyone
    ; money at this point. I believe only one small shipment of "factory" 352 bodies were ever shipped to them,.
    M352C 1 1/8" 1952 Indian Chief, Chicago Police Dept.
    M352NYPD 1 1/8" 1952 Indian Chief, New York Police Dept.
    M352xxx 1 1/8" Various police depts. Replace the X's with CA, CHP,F etc.
    M353 1 1/8" Have seen 4 of these over the last 40 years on 1953 Chiefs.. All appear the same, Indian probably stamped them " in house" for the very last run of Chiefs.
    All I know of were on police bikes, but were NOT stamped with police markings, I personally believe only 5-6 were made.
    MBONN 1 1/8" 1941-up Indian Bonneville Motors Stamped BM (always has a small 6 to right of number boss as do "most " of the M352s since most were restamped MBONNs)

M74 1 5/16" (early 398 casting, early type number stamp) L-1950 F, FL
    M74 1 5/16" (later 408 casting, late type number stamp in same location as M74B )E-1951 Harley F,FL ( see above)
    M74B 1 5/16" (early 408 casting) L-1951
    M74B 1 5/16" (late 418 casting ) 1952-1965 Harley F,FL
    M741-1 3/4" 1941-1943 Indian Military scout 741

http://www.linkertcarbs.com/linkert.html
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 12-07-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: m #s

Get Adobe Flash player

“The Linkert Book”
    by Jeffrey Diamond

his is the complete VICTORY LIBRARY booklet on the Linkert (L&L) Model “M” bronze carburetor, as used on all Harley-Davidson motorcycles 1933-56 (and some until 1964). This includes: Knucklehead EL 61” & FL 74” 1936-47; Panhead EL 61”, FL & FLH 74” 1948-64; VL Flathead V, VC, VL, VLD, 74” VLH & VHS 80” 1930-36; 45” Flathead G, GA, GE, R, RL, RLD, W, WL, WL, WLC, WLD, WLDR, & WR solo, military & Servi-Car 1933-58; K, KK, KH, KHK, & KR Models 1952-65; U-Series Flathead U, UL, UH & ULH 74” & 80” 1937-48 (sorry, not Sportsters).
    Although I’ve written this primarily for H-D models, the information is generally applicable to Indian Chief 74” & 80”, Scout 45”, Junior Scout 30.50”, Motoplane, 841 & 741 Military, and Four Cylinder. Linkert M-74
    Linkert M-88 carburetor
    If you own (or plan to own) one of these great classics, they all came factory-equipped with a Linkert carburetor! For best performance, you should learn all you can about the Linkert carburetor, and how to get the best results from yours.
    This is not a repair manual, but begins where they leave off, and goes far beyond into fine tuning, improvements and modernization. Use it with your service manual for best results. Not an expert mechanic? You’ll still find this useful to identify what parts you need, detect wear and damage, mis-matched parts, etc. - take it along to the next swap meet.
    VICTORY LIBRARY is the original source of side-valve performance (since 1971). Click here for a brief bio on the author: . This information is not reprinted from other articles, magazines, or factory literature and is not available anywhere else, and not included in any of my other books; click here for other related titles: Linkert M41.
    I guarantee that you’ll find information in this booklet you’ve never seen before, and that will help you plan and complete your Linkert project.
    Consider this: if this booklet saves you from making even a single mistake or bad purchase, or gives you one new idea, doesn’t that make this purchase worth while? The price is a small fraction of what you have invested in the carburetor - plan more intelligently, and get better results.
    This booklet is stapled in paperback to save printing costs, includes all the following subjects in 59 pages (over 45,000 words), over 30 black & white illustrations & diagrams plus 31 data tables:

http://victorylibrary.com/L-BK.htm

I know 45 restoration sells the different nipples to run rubber line. You could also adapt a nipple in the original fuel strainer.

I actually bought this book earlier today

Yea i found some stuff on colony just not sure if it screws in place of where the strainer screws in or screws into the side of the strainer where the regular fuel line goes. Would like to do away with the strainer.

Foujd that information very useful. When i found it earlier. Thats how i figure out the carb on my pan wasn’t what went on it when it was built. Hoping i can for sure run this this carb

45 resto nipples screw into the float bowl.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Joshkolo89 View Post
    Would like to do away with the strainer.
    Why???????

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Joshkolo89 View Post
    Thats how i figure out the carb on my pan wasn’t what went on it when it was built
    Believe me......... It's 70 years old I'd be willing to say it's had at least 25 different carbs through the years.............

If your not building a totally original bike.......... That carb will work will work just fine if it's set up properly.............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 12-09-2020 at 8:32 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post

That carb will work will work just fine if it's set up properly.............
    In case it don't, I have a few Super-B's with the Pan intake for sale ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok I'm going from memory here but didn't a 50 Pan come with a M36 and a 51 Pan came with a M74??????????

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok I'm going from memory here but didn't a 50 Pan come with a M36 and a 51 Pan came with a M74??????????
    My '50, 74 cu.in., had the M74. I don't know what the 61 cu.in. motors had.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Why???????
    ^yes, why?^

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    My '50, 74 cu.in., had the M74. I don't know what the 61 cu.in. motors had.

Jim
    I'm sure it had it as that was an upgrade....... What I'm asking is did it come with it from the factory??????? Someone look at a book......... I'm not going to my shop to look............

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm sure it had it as that was an upgrade....... What I'm asking is did it come with it from the factory??????? Someone look at a book......... I'm not going to my shop to look............
    Yes, it was the factory carb.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Tri for posting the numbers........... I don't see a M36 listed as that was what was on my 50 Dixie Queen................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red50Panhead8.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Yes, it was the factory carb.

Jim
    LOL That's great I'm sure it was if it was a Linkert............ So you bought the bike new????????? LOL Just picking.......

Share This