Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Banjoguy
    • Feb 2022

Help with HD front end on cb650

Okay soo I got a free harley front end from a shovelhead (don't have it in front of me yet) and I want it on the cb650 project I got going . Only thing I have on the front of the cb is the lower tree and the forks that are air assist . Rather have HD for a wider variety of wheels and bars and since I have to buy parts for whats on there now it would just make more sense to take the one off the shovelhead and fit it somehow .. now I know it's probably not a direct fit but what are some of my options for getting it on. If I pressed out the stem would it be direct press to fit on the HD tree? If not what do I got to do . The new front end will come with the bearings and cups that where on it before so is there another way I can do it without pressing out the stem . Kinda new to this and would appreciate some good advice . Thanks
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

found this:
    "The CB650 head tube appears to be roughly 1/4 inch shorter than the CB750..."

"Steering bearings, the CB750 uses; Upper: 26 x 48.5 x 15.2 and Lower: 30 x 50 x 14.4
    The 81 CB650 uses... you guessed it; Upper: 26 x 48.5 x 15.2 and Lower: 30 x 50 x 14.4
    so far so good."

So, using a tapered roller bearing kit for the CB650, just install CB races, and use the 1" ID Timken tapered roller bearing (typical HD); L44643 (or a utility trailer replacement bearing with 1" ID)

CB 750 frame neck is 7.46":
    Click image for larger version

Name:	frame,cb750.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1322086

Harley neck (without separate bearing cups) is 7.063":

Name:	Harley neck measurements,no cups, Merch.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1322087

Harley neck without cups is 1" shorter at 6-1/16"

Name:	Harley neck measurements,with cups, Merch.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1322088

could also do a HD neck swap if ya wanted:
    Neck/Steering Head Choices

do you know what frontend you are getting?...shovel may not be what was originally on there

How To Identify Harley-Davidson Forks
    "Identifying which exact fork (front end) is on your Harley-Davidson motorcycle can be problematic. Especially with older bikes, many parts of motorcycle forks can be changed to different styles, or replaced with aftermarket parts. In this article we share photos and identifying characteristics for a variety of front ends found on Harleys. Use the photos below to help differentiate which front end you have on your Harley Big Twin or Sportster.

Identifying which exact fork (front end) is on your Harley-Davidson motorcycle can be problematic. Especially with older bikes, many parts of motorcycle forks can be changed to different styles, or replaced with aftermarket motorcycle parts. In this article we share photos and identifying characteristics for a variety of front ends found on Harleys. Use the photos below and take a look at our guide on Harley-Davidson model codes to help differentiate which front end you have on your Harley Big Twin or Sportster. WHAT ARE THE PARTS OF HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLE FORKS? There are multiple types of motorcycle forks, and many components. For the general purpose of this article we will focus on the main components of forks found on Harleys over the years. Here's a basic diagram of components that make up a motorcycle front end. Triple trees: The triple trees (also known as yokes) hold the fork tubes (which contain the fork springs), and are fastened to the neck of the frame by the steering stem. Sliders : At the bottom of the fork tubes are the lower legs, often referred to as sliders. The sliders house the dampening assemblies, which vary based on the brand and type of fork. Axle: The front axle is located perpendicular and engages the sliders. Steering stem: The steering stem connects the center of the upper and lower triple tree, which in turn holds the forks.Harley-Davidsons typically have a 1
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Banjoguy
      • Feb 2022

Okay this is a good start for me . Now that I got that infront of me .. I'm gonna have to eventually go pick up the front end and properly identify it but as far as I know it's from a shovel it's my father's old bike and this is what he's told me . But ya never know .... so with all this infront of me . If all goes well could I just slap Some spacers on the bottom and call it good if that's the difference I'm looking at. ... I

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;