CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default S&s super B troubles

Hi guys,

I recently purchased an 65 flh, it was running nicely, but It had a small leak on the fuel bowl, so I've pulled it apart, cleaned it up and fixed that, cleared the pilot and main jet out as they were fairly dirty, now i cant get it to suck fuel up, the bowl is full of fuel, but if i choke the carb with my hand it will start straight away and run fine. I dont think its a case of a blocked jet but im thinking it might be a vacuum/suction issue? Any ideas?

Cheers, nick

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Unless "cleaned it up" means soaking it (always be very specific) after pulling the jets/tubes/mixture screw I'd do that which I do as a rule.

Your problem does sound like a vacuum leak so I'd eliminate that issue. I immediately replace the intake manifold seals and keep spares on hand as they design was never good (and should have been a one-piece intake with flanges like an automobile intake manifold). A good (overkill is just right) carb brace is important as the manifold clamps are for sealing not carb support. Jockey Journal has a good S&S carb brace thread with pics.

Any disturbance of an old intake like removing the carb invites leaks and any excuse to replace O-rings is a good one. It's a good idea to inspect manifold alignment with the heads while it's off.

Of course download the factory service manuals and parts catalogs and anything else relevant. (Aftermarket manuals should be avoided and HD books are excellent.)

Get Adobe Flash player

Unlike Farmall, above, I find the H-D oring intake set-up to be foolproof AS LONG AS good clamps are used. (The later band style intake, not so much.)

On the Super B, the well for the enrichener pickup tube is fed by a small drilled orifice from the bottom of the bowl which acts as a jet for the enrichener. It is easy to overlook, or even block this orifice when cleaning the bowl. And if the enrichener won't pick up fuel, you stand a slim chance of getting the motor started when cold.

Jim

Thanks mate! Is the pilot jet easy to remove? Does it screw in to the body of the carb? I didnt remove it to clean it as i didnt want to wreck it trying to remove it

Yeah thats it! It will start first kick once its been warmed up, but yeah only having this issue when its cold

Get Adobe Flash player

The pilot or intermediate jet screws out and if it is an early one (contemporary to the Super B) without a screwdriver slot, you have to plier it.

DO NOT try to remove the enrichener tube. If you take the enrichener plunger out, you can clean the tube from the top or bottom.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

These intake clamps are the best I found to use ...

Don't really have a need for the V-T convert rings cause where the clamp bands works at ..But I use them anyways to fill the gaps ...

Share This