Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

Anti-Lock Braking Query

Maybe this isn't the right forum, but I am Frankenstein Trike kit modifying a late model dresser that has ABS.

The rear ABS sensor to the rear tire will not fit anywhere properly like in OEM position on the axle.

I ask what I should do to make this work. To me, the command module for the ABS needs to "see" the wheel turning (indicating not locked & skidding) while braking, and some momentum registered by the speedometer, or the pump pulsating will occur, essentially the anti-lock braking.

If I unplug the sensor, will that solve my dilemma?
    or, is it going to buzz away when I hit the brakes to slow down, that could be annoying.

TIA
  • confab
    • May 2019

In an automobile, these systems are designed to "fail safe" and default to regular braking with no PWM action when the sensor becomes inop.

There are instances where the PWM relay fuses in some of the GM trucks, and if you pull the fuse for the module you have no modulation and the brakes default to regular operation.

I would be very, very surprised if your system didn't behave the same way. To design a system in the reverse would seem to create a safety issue where one need not exist at all?

Comment

• Down
      • Jan 2016

Mr. Confab is right. I've disabled ABS on a few touring Harleys and it's as simple as pulling the fuse. You could remove all the ABS crap and leave the fuse out, your bike (trike) won't know it used to have 'em.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Don't know, but found this:

"I couldn't find anything on disabling a 2015+ ABS (because there is no fuse to pull) across the internet and after talking to a tech and trying it out and it working flawlessly, I figured I would put this out there...

There is no ABS fuse (2015+) that I am aware of. But, if you go under your right quarter panel you can find your ABS module system. To the left of the system you will see a big power connector that connects the ABS to power but also to the brains of the bike. It is the biggest plug that connects directly into the ABS module and you cant miss it. Disconnect it, zip tie it up, and tape off the ends to avoid moisture and your bike will resort immediately to the brakes most of us grew up with. The only thing that it will affect is your ABS light will remain on."

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 10scDust
          • Jan 2018

Thanks for the info TriNortchopz and others.
          Mine is a 2017 Ultra Classic.

This is a winter project and thought about this as I came upon it. There are a few other mods I am working in this down time, so the trike is not ready to try out on the road just yet. But I will look up this thread and post results of what I discover and what I did to help others in the future.

Sadly with my age, the old knees and ankles surprise me at times, trying to hold this big girl up, so I decided to Frankenstein it. I still ride the Superglide class size two wheelers fine, albeit with a solo seat, lol! This dresser is a heavy heifer and I have had to have help getting her upright a few times, after awkwardly setting it down when at a stop. ...& I want to ride the "Ole Lady" with me again... & she can drive it when I take 2 wheels, (I sold her trike, it had a DNA rear-end, nuff said).

"Getting old ain't for woosies" as ma used to say!

Comment

• 10scDust
            • Jan 2018

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I have an update, and may help inquiring minds at a later time, I am the OP anyway.

Confab had it right.

I only removed the rear axle sensor unit because I installed a Frankenstein Trike kit. Unplugged it from the ABS unit and left everything else as it was, pulled no fuses.
            The rear brakes did not go into anti-lock pulsations, worked fine, only the dash ABS light was lit.

Although, the yellow engine light was lit the whole time too. I had another issue, but will address it in a new thread and this one can be laid to rest. Kudos to all who responded here, 33.
            Last edited by 10scDust; 03-06-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• 10scDust
              • Jan 2018

2017 air cooled Ultra-Classic with 21K miles.

I didn't expect the pic to be sideways and do not know how to correct that, appologies...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 10scDust; 03-06-2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

not great, but the right way up...
                Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;