CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those back legs look like Ford Radius rods. The piece at the bottom is solid and welded to the tapered piece. It can safely be thinned slightly. The front leg is probably also solid, and can be thinned as well. I would a small hole in it to verify, if it's solid after you drill 1/8th" it probably solid. The best way would to have them milled, but in the old days we would have used a grinder and a file.

there is a swap meet in Sacramento this weekend, I think i'll see if i can find some studs or maybe someone knows a talented machinest.

Look for custom Paughco rockers and studs. They maybe longer than stock on that end but dont know for sure. They got a big screw stlot on one end. Any stock looking rockers studs IMHO are gonna be the same length.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like a minor job for most anybody with a lathe. I have no Idea why you are having trouble finding somebody to make then. I'd much rather make Indian stuff but if you can't find anybody DM and I'll spin a couple up.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

this is your pic of your rocker from page 1:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocker stud, extended springer, cc, dec.2020.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	107531

You say you need that with a longer stud...cut off that stud, bore the end of it, thread it, screw in a longer double-ended stud, use green or red thread locker to keep it there...could even screw in the big end cap with the hollow section, and thread the inside of that too, so your stud is thread locked into the body next to the shoulder, and the big threaded cap nut threads into the rocker body and the end of the stud inside.
    ...pick your length of stud...

Vibration-Resistant Setup Studs
    "Also known as tap-end and fixture studs, these rods have friction-fit threads on one end to resist loosening and standard threads on the other end for attaching a nut.
    They are ideal for machining applications where vibration can loosen clamps. Remove studs with pliers to reuse them.
    Inch studs have a Class 5 thread fit on the friction-fit end and Class 2A thread fit on the machine-threaded end."

Name:	stud, vibration resistant.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	107532

https://www.mcmaster.com/studs/vibra...t-setup-studs/

lots of others here:

Double End Studs

https://www.fastenal.com/product/fle...ed=true&view=1

thanks for all the solid imput

Problem is trying to use stock Harley type studs and rocker on something that is not made for them.

that is exactly the problem. and they are a pivot point that takes a ton of stress, if it fails i'm going down hard. any part past the neck i'm willing to experiment with but this has to work.

Get Adobe Flash player

So easiest and best way, since the legs are not original, is to machine the legs on a mill, to shave them to the right thickness, so they are flat and square to the studs, and fit the stock rocker studs.
    Mill them like the Sugar Bear legs, so there is a nice radius, no sharp corner.

Name:	SB-4 rocker styles,SPG-CHR-0-30-3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	290.0 KB 
ID:	107554

But first you need to correct that offset between the front and back legs...bend the front legs with a bit of a 'wishbone to get them the same distance apart as the back legs - if they're not just bent - Confirm measurements and alignment after disassembly.

Ok thanks yes Sugar Bear is great.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was looking for info on using the Ford radius rods to extend old Harley springers; according to the Chopper Builders Handbook, there is info in The Custom Chopper Cookbook for doing that:

Name:	Custom Chopper Cookbook cover.JPG 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	107570
    maybe a CC member can scan and post those pages here - mine got lost in a flood (along with several other totes of chopper rags and books - including another book by Mike Arman, Motorcycle electrics without pain)

Name:	Motorcycle Electrics without pain, Mike Arman, cover.jpg 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	107571

Found this thread on JJ, which includes informative posts, including ones by Dragstews, and lots of great links:

Ford Wishbones for extending Harley Springers???

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...5309&showall=1
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 12-07-2020 at 6:18 AM. Reason: added info

Oh great thanks, i'll dig into that more when i get off work. sorry you lost your mags in a flood, that sucks.

Share This