Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clarkkk
    • Jan 2022

Bike can’t hold idle

My 883 sportster putters out in idle. It has new plugs, coil, ignition module. I’ve also fooled with the air/ fuel mixture screw but it really didn’t seem to help at all. I took off the stock screaming eagle carb cleaner and it was better but still has irregular idling in where it speeds up every 2 seconds for just about a half second or so. It will also pop when i give it gas. More when it’s cold. The air cleaner is tightly sealed too and doesn’t seem to have any leaks
  • 10scDust
    • Jan 2018

I would check the manifold seals to the heads, and the one to the carburetor with some starting fluid for leaks

Comment

• tzienlee
      • Apr 2024

what manual do you have ?... if you haven't got one buy a Factory one, the clymer & Heynes ones are pretty useless.....but if it runs well off of idle just not at idle it probably need the carb cleaning by someone who knows them, if your new to mechanics it isnt the easyest thing to learn on your own, but a manual is a MUST

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 10scDust
        I would check the manifold seals to the heads, and the one to the carburetor with some starting fluid for leaks
        This, plus:

Check the vacuum line from the carb to the VOES and the petcock, as well as both of those units for vacuum leaks.

All of this stuff fails with age and a vacuum leak will cause poor idle, but worse, if you ignore it, a vacuum leak may cause a stuck exhaust valve which gets expensive. All of this is common on evo XLs.

Jim

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Make model carb would help

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;