Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Farmall have you used or heard reputable opinions about the Neiko 1/2” torque multiplier, at $200 clams I’d be game. The concept to me is awesome and wouldn’t mind picking one up.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

I've used other Neiko tools and they are decent so I'd not fear to buy one. Multipliers are not sophisticated so it should live.

Always check Ebay. Here's a Neiko that probably won't be bid up. Ebay pics are a good way to learn about different brands and styles:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Neiko Pro 1/2" Torque Multiplier Power Wrench - 1100 Foot-Pound - 03715B at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

For torquing count the actual ratio for whatever you buy.

From an Amazon review of a different model:

"I bought the 3/4 in = 1 in. out. version. As another reviewer noted THREE YEARS AGO the advertised 3:1 ratio is INCORRECT. The actual ratio is 3.5:1. If you mistakenly use the lower ratio in a precision torque application you will have overtightened your fastener. Why in the World is the wrong ratio STILL printed on the tool? At any rate, I bought this to apply a huge nut that holds a piston onto a ram in a 35 ton hydraulic cylinder. The nut has to be torqued to 800 ft. lbs. - that's a lot, not easy to do. It was easy to achieve 800 lbs. though using this multiplier and my 30 plus inch torque wrench set to only 270 lb. ft. Seems to be well built but everybody who has used this in a precision torque application, using the completely mistaken advertised ratio, "

Even used multipliers are expensive because they're so nice to have. Here's Neiko support who you could email to get an instruction sheet showing ratio and any torque loss (it's trivial except for aircraft and machine tools etc but all multipliers have some) if they measure that.

For nearly 20 years, our customers have come to trust and recognize Neiko® as the leading brand for premium value in the tools industry. We stand behind what we make, but more importantly, we stand behind your satisfaction. If for whatever reason you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase, please contact us.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by farmall
        I've used other Neiko tools and they are decent so I'd not fear to buy one. Multipliers are not sophisticated so it should live.

Always check Ebay. Here's a Neiko that probably won't be bid up. Ebay pics are a good way to learn about different brands and styles:

For torquing count the actual ratio for whatever you buy.

From an Amazon review of a different model:

"I bought the 3/4 in = 1 in. out. version. As another reviewer noted THREE YEARS AGO the advertised 3:1 ratio is INCORRECT. The actual ratio is 3.5:1. If you mistakenly use the lower ratio in a precision torque application you will have overtightened your fastener. Why in the World is the wrong ratio STILL printed on the tool? At any rate, I bought this to apply a huge nut that holds a piston onto a ram in a 35 ton hydraulic cylinder. The nut has to be torqued to 800 ft. lbs. - that's a lot, not easy to do. It was easy to achieve 800 lbs. though using this multiplier and my 30 plus inch torque wrench set to only 270 lb. ft. Seems to be well built but everybody who has used this in a precision torque application, using the completely mistaken advertised ratio, "

Even used multipliers are expensive because they're so nice to have. Here's Neiko support who you could email to get an instruction sheet showing ratio and any torque loss (it's trivial except for aircraft and machine tools etc but all multipliers have some) if they measure that.

https://neikotools.com/pages/support
        Well thank you Farmall, I’m gonna jump on that one.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

If ya score it post a review!

Comment

• dankmelater
            • Jul 2019

i needed a new impact gun after my pneumatic one went toast, looked into electric cordless impact tools and ended up getting a porter cable impact gun cause the price was right and the specs were decent. the power is phenomenal, zips lug nuts off like it's nothing. pulled the mainshaft and crankshaft nuts off on my sportster like it was nothing when i was rebuilding my bike last winter.

have since converted all my cordless tools to porter cable's 20v system, great stuff all around. the cordless sawsall i got from them is so much fun haha, feels like a sci-fi tool and works great.

for corded tools: vintage delta all day long. all my woodworking tools are delta, really great stuff.

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

I used the Neiko torque Adapter to rebuild my shovel.. Because I didn't have a wrench that went that high at the time. It is this one:

The quality seemed good and I roughly compared it to my clickers on the low end of the scale, and it was accurate. Or, it matched what I had, anyway.

It seems like a good tool. Quality seems good. I'd buy it. I think highly of their brand so far.

Comment

• seaking
                • Jul 2013

Edit--I do like the Milwaukee brand tools and have the impact/drill combo, built a shed, remodeled a bathroom, use it at least 4-5 times a week for assembly and drop it probably once a month. It's held up great under winter use just keep the battery indoors when not in use.
                Stuff I've broke: USA craftsman box end wrenches, a crescent wrench, and all my 1/4in drive ratchets--so I've gotta fix all that. Haven't broke any 3/8 drive stuff or half inch, nor any sockets. My JET spindle sander is also been a raging pile of shit from day one, haven't hardly replaced paper and the table is all ready broke. Any heavy equip. definitely try to buy heavy duty USA used.
                I tend to buy USA and like Mac/Snapon/Williams tops, second is Craftsman, third is HF tools--most of those are 1-3 star tools and only have those because it's the only game in town because they put the USA supplier out of business.
                Last edited by seaking; 09-30-2021, 2:16 PM.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
                  • Apr 2020

With my Metabo miter saw I bought, I built a workbench out of some old porch wood I've been saving. The wood would've cost me what I have in the saw if I bought it these days. It just needs sanded and a coat of paint, some casters, hooks for hanging stuff and a vise put on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211004_033720.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	1320404 glad I bought the saw.

I still need to pick up a sawzall, a drill and an impact and I'm pretty much set for a while anyway until I decide what to get next.

Hopefully people just starting out can use this thread to pick tools if they need to. I'm not sure if any of you all watch these Projectfarmvideos, but if you can't decide on a tool/product l, I always see if he's got a video about what I'm looking for. Here's one: https://youtu.be/xtZ2jh_J7XE

Comment

• 7and7is
                    • Dec 2012

Anyone have any experience with Cornwell tools?

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by 7and7is
                      In the old days, post WWII, a top brand, right up there with SnapOn. I don't know how they rate now. I've got some Cornwell from my dad's tool set.

Jim

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

Yes.. A lot, actually.

They were a great tool. I have a bunch of them still from decades ago when I painted cars.

The selling point back then was they actually made them. Claimed to have their own foundry.

But, I dunno what has changed in the time since.

Comment

• 49WR
                          • Mar 2016

I have a 1/2" drive flex head ratchet with the long handle and it's great. Got it about 12 years ago from my otherwise pretty worthless son-in-law for Christmas so it's the only Cornwell tool I have. I'd definitely be on the look out for used tools from them, they are a little too pricey new for me.

Comment

• hllzn
                            • Apr 2024

I'm wondering this too.

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

None since I buy for the task.

Working for Uncle Sam it was Snap-on of course (when their military rep didn't disappear, one was useless for years) but I got Lista tool boxes which are easily better than Snap-on or Vidmar. If I got rich I'd have Lista outfit my house, shops and everything else. They're so good auction buyers gobble used ones up to refurb.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                                I've been driving around with my big 1/2" drive Snap-On ratchet waiting to find a truck to get it fixed, they are getting hard to track down.
                                Saw a truck in one of the local mom and pop repair shops. The guy was amazed at the old ratchet and fixed it on the spot. Love SNAP-on, lol.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;