Help with S&S PanShovel (Knuckle?) cases. Totally lost.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confab
    • May 2019

Help with S&S PanShovel (Knuckle?) cases. Totally lost.

I happened across some slabside S&S Cases with paperwork and bought them on a lark..

And I probably shouldn't have, but I did. So, now they're mine and my noobie ignorance is showing because I have no idea at all what I bought.

I KNOW they were assembled into a Panhead on the last bike they were on because I saw it. My old shovel barrels and other parts fit them perfectly. But, I'm looking at them and I see the number 31-0006R cast into the right (The R?) case half. If you compare these to the S&S parts catalog, they come back as Knucklehead Replacement cases? WTH?

They are timken cases and very strong looking. Factory cleared for a stroker. The races and things are in absolutely perfect shape. You would never know they were run. But I dunno what fits them? Here's the catalog page in question:Click image for larger version

Name:	cases.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1347749
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Pics would help.

Does the case have the oil return passages from the tappet block bases to the breather gear bore?

Are there oil pressure passages to the tappet block bases?

Jim

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

You're right.. I should have posted pics. I'll get some when I'm back down in the shop.

Because I'm not really sure? I know the oiling looked.. "atypical"

It has stroker drains in the cylinder bores and eyebrow looking marks under the lifter block area.

I'll get some pics!!

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

They're a set with a state issued VIN on them, and a title. Which made them attractive here. My state is very, very serious about numbers and paperwork. I have a title for them coming back in my name.

But, I probably shouldn't have bought them. I just kinda like Pans and I liked the bike they tore apart to make two other bikes out of and bought them.. And now I'm unsure what they are?

I KNOW it was an assembled, running, panhead. But that is all.

???
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

1948-64 case ..
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Good score. Those cases are very strong. You can build large, high horsepower motors on those cases with full confidence.

Looks like '58 - up pinion bearing race, Timkens on the left side, of course. I think drilled for the iron pump or '72 - earlier aluminum pump.

Jim
            Last edited by JBinNC; 02-23-2022, 4:10 PM.

Comment

• 1954bmw
              • Mar 2015

Howabout you just contact S&S??

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

1936-'69 style oil pump. Machined for 1948-'62 panhead cylinder base oil feed. Machined for 1955-'64 tin primary. Engines for 1936-’64 chassis with tin primary must use a 1954-’64 style inner primary cover. S&S Super Stock generator style crankcases are available for stock 3-7/16" or 35/8" bore, but can be special ordered for bore sizes up to 3-3/16" and deck heights as much as 3/16" taller than stock.

A special order sheet must be filled out for any special order crankcases. Ask your S&S Customer Support Representative or download special order forms from our website at www.sscycle.com/soforms 1936-’54 must use the 1955-’64 style inner steel primary cover. Since all S&S generator style crankcases use 1958 and later style main bearings, stock flywheel assemblies 1957 and earlier cannot be used in S&S crankcases. Flywheel assemblies must have 1958 and later pinion shaft with 1.250" diameter bearing, and a 1954 and later style sprocket shaft designed for a Timken® main bearing.

Generator style cases for 1936-’47 knucklehead engines are machined to supply oil to the heads from a boss located near the rear tappet guide or from a stock or S&S gearcover. Provision for oil scavenging from the heads in these crankcases is the same as stock, with passageways that connect the tappet guides to the crankcase breather gear. Crankcases for 1948-’69 engines are machined with a provision to separate the oil supply to the top and bottom ends if an S&S oil pump is used. This feature lets you choose the 1972 and earlier stock "side oiling" system or the 1973 and later split oil system. The stock cast iron oil pump can be used for the "original look" and stock oiling system. If an S&S billet oil pump, part #31-6200 is used, the oiling system can be set-up as stock or updated to a split system. 1963-’65 panhead engines, with outside oil supply lines to the cylinder heads, must use the oil supply port located behind the rear tappet guide or the oil fitting toward the rear of the S&S gear cover. S&S generator style crankcases do not have the stock style "outside oiler" oil supply boss, so special oil supply lines will need to be fabricated.

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

Cool.. Thanks for all your help.

If they're 48-64, why does S&S give them the KN designation? Because I know they're pan/shovel for sure.

?

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Typo .. ??

Call their Tech # ... (608) 627-8324

Now that ya got em, whatcha going to do with em ??

(93", 96" or balls to the wall with 98") ..

Last edited by Dragstews; 02-23-2022, 6:22 PM.

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

Yeah.. Or I could email them and I planned to as soon as I knew enough to ask good questions.

I honestly dunno what I'm gonna do with them? I kinda impulse bought them because I've recently taken a liking to the Panhead and it just sidestepped all the paperwork Nazi stuff my state loves so much.

Probably try and do something like the big one you're building on the other thread.

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Shoot yeah ...

Might as well get a little nuts with the build ...

(Some Folks call that the "FUN" part)

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
                          Typo .. ??

Call their Tech # ... (608) 627-8324

Now that ya got em, whatcha going to do with em ??

(93", 96" or balls to the wall with 98") ..

Jim

Comment

• confab
                            • May 2019

That's an interesting thought.. S&S sell the KN series heads separately?

Wonder how crazy expensive those are?

Apparently Mr. Cone Knuckle located some?

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Aaaaaaaa, I think ya miss it ....

Those are some trick, special rocker boxes for use on Shovel-heads ...

Be kind hard to use real Knuck heads due to the wacky top-end oil returns (Vacuum down the pushrod tubes)

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;