CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default A question for painters ..

Hi. Had the idea of laying a pot leaf down on my gas tank. Am I able to lay it on the paint and clear over it? Does it have to be glued down similar to gold leaf? I'm sure I'm not the first to think of doin something like this just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or tips on doing it right from experience. Thanks🤙

Get Adobe Flash player

I feel like Martha Stewart did this exact project...

DO TESTS. Before anything else, or before someone says do this it'll be great, do tests. I've used leaves under surfboard varnish, in resin, epoxy, krylon clear coat, etc. All have varying outcomes and it's a preference thing at that point.
    You can absolutely clear coat that leaf a few times with good curing time in between but remember it'll get crunchier and crunchier. Unless you're using a fresh green one... in that case you'll probably get some gnarly spotting on the leaf that'll look like garden mildew. Again, tests.
    If I were you my biggest concern would be where it's gonna lay down and how many coats you're burying it under so you can sand and make it perfectly glossy smooth.

You might do something like an enamel badge that won't compromise the entire tank job if the craft project goes up in smoke... hah.

Good luck! Post pics.
    Christa

Get Adobe Flash player

I have seen it done quite well,
    there was a fella I knew here (UK) who had his frame covered in small leaves & a humongus one dead centre of the tank, it looked well neat,
    but you need to press it in a book for a month or two till 100% dry & dead flat before laying it down,
    then treat it like gold leaf & use a gold leaf 'Size' (a sort of glue) to fix it all down flat before clear coating,
    with enough coats of clear it can be made smoothe as glass, but ya gotta remember, it's a hell of a lot thicker than gold,
    here in England undried leaf is legal, but back in the day Stateside (NY+NJ) most leo's would still bust ya, I've been out of country so long now the laws might have changed.
    Last edited by tzienlee; 1 Week Ago at 12:24 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not on the NJ turnpike,Ps why the fuck would you wanna do that
    Last edited by ac72rat; 1 Week Ago at 1:01 PM. Reason: Duhh

Share This