Retry of the rebuild thread for the New Phoenix (aka Brown Sugar)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdwillis
    • Dec 2018

That sucks about the run. That's a cool color combo.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

I was bound to get one eventually, lol. Just wish it had been something besides the tanks.

With it being so damn cold out I think this is a good opportunity to pull down all the plastic, do a good clean and then start in again on it. Next house I have to have some kind of permanent spray booth, just so I have a place to play without taking over the whole damn garage!

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

I'd buy in a rural location then score a shipping container (the cheaper WWT grade would do for a booth as you'd be modding it considerably anyway) or a used automotive booth. Welding two side by side gets ya enough room for a car or truck if ya use High Cubes for the extra interior height. A Steelmaster style building is roomier and easy to erect.

A very compact option is building a downdraft bench style booth for bike stuff. My wife worked at a shop with a good homebuilt and loved it. The booth used basically a "hopper" style steel table fabbed from angle and sheet with a steel grating top in sections for easy removal. The blower providing suction was sort of a syphon feed system where the high velocity blower output went to a tube inside the exhaust duct so the motor and impeller never got sprayed and could use a non-explosion proof motor (though I'd prefer one if I build similar one day). The walls had many HEPA filter panels (more surface area reduces inlet velocity, slower is better).
        The air was the freshest in the shop because all the toxics went promptly outdoors.

Check pics of downdraft welding benches and industrial grinding tables for what it looked like. Examples:
        Jan 8, 2019 - At the Welding Tips and Tricks forum, we're all about helping each other out with TIG, MIG, and Stick questions and projects. Check us out!

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

That's interesting, I have a large old JET dust collector that I use with my router table, it isolates the motor from the fan and might move enough cfm to handle tanks and fenders, for frames I would need something slightly different.

A place rural enough for repurposed containers does not check one of the big boxes for the missus. I will most likely need to think prefab shed or something along those lines for a full building type setup.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

So my daughter's dog was finished with his rehab and we decided to take him to her in Denver, then since we were out there already, a quick trip down to Phoenix to visit the my other daughter and mom. Weather was good and we kept it to 6 days of driving. We did drop in at Tortilla Flats, Az, I did not realize the Apache Highway had sustained damage! ! ! I signed the petition to rebuild it, it is a real National Treasure and needs to be there for future generations. The missus did enjoy driving in the mountains from Mesa to Holbrook, we skipped Flagstaff and took the "backroads", AZ-87 and up to 40, damn that was a fine drive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-IMG_2631.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	1321644

Anyhow, back at home it took a few days to warm the garage back to a decent temp and I was able to finish getting the tank back into base coat and then taped it off to add the contrast color. No mistakes this time !

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1321642

Name:	IMG_2640.JPG
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1321643

And finally, base coat is done, now the fun starts!

Name:	IMG_0285[1].jpg
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	1321645
            Last edited by DoomBuggy; 01-22-2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Well the weather has been a bitch lately but I have been able to come up with some final ideas.

Name:	test1.jpg
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1321754

If you look you can see a bit of lace work where the light highlight is, second from the right. That section has the final color for the outline which is the base tangerine/rootbeer mix with 50% more root beer in it.

Then I had to decide on the highlight color, did I want metallic paint or engine turned leaf. The missus likes the gold leaf over the paint or copper leaf and I have to admit I agree.

So next steps are to bolt the tanks to the frame, put the dash and the tank gap cover I picked up and tape out the design for the tank. New "theme" is desert rose ( or flower ). I have to dig through my box of lace to see if I have anything that will work.

Name:	Tank&Frame.jpg
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	1321755

One of the big issues is it it taking several days for paint to dry enough for me to tape without marring the finish. Damn winter!
              Last edited by DoomBuggy; 02-04-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

New "theme" is desert rose ( or flower ).
                Desert Flower, Huh ??

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

And off we go. First sand everything smooth, then mark off where the dash and filler plate will go.

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	1321790

Now tape it all off.

Name:	IMG_2646.jpg
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	1321791

I found a nice piece of lace that fits the theme. A bit more taping and off we go.

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	1321792

The end result is really hard to photograph in the garage, will look killer under the sun!

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1321793

Name:	IMG_2653.jpg
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1321794

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

One more.

Name:	IMG_2651.jpg
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1321795

Now I can let this dry for a few days and then start the gold leaf work. It's coming together!
                    Last edited by DoomBuggy; 02-06-2022, 5:31 PM.

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

I have to mention this because a friend of mine bought something really cool the other day that compliments what you're doing.

Not to imply that you're doing it wrong or that it would be easier some other way.. Because it wouldn't. You've done a really good job there and it looks killer. It looks great because you obviously know what you're doing and have a plan..

But IF YOU DID NOT have a plan and you wanted to try some stuff out? Or if you wanted to do complex graphics over and over in a production type setting, like.. "Hey, for $600 I'll paint this on your tank, bro.." I was reading this thread and couldn't help but think of how killer a "Cricut" type vinyl cutter would be for this kind of work.

You could print masks for spraying all the graphics. You could try out different designs in vinyl and do it cheap and quick, before you painted them on.. If you even wanted to do them in paint? As they make UV resistant vinyls.

They're just perfect for people who want to do what you're doing, but have no idea where they want to go with it all and basically need a cheap, quick, way to experiment.

There.. It's out of my system.

Carry on.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                        • Oct 2016

You are right on the money. When I did the paint last time I cut stencils for the lettering and some of the design work. There will be more stencils coming for this beastie.

The nice thing is that it is so cold that I am not in a hurry. Next major thing is to get the frame done so I can start bolting it back together!

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                          • Oct 2016

Quick shot of the tank and neck together. Working on the legs now which will be really simple ( and use a stencil ).

Then once the legs are done I can start on the gold leaf work and the seat mount area.

More to come...

Name:	Neck.jpg
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	1321837

Comment

• Hoghead
                            • Jun 2015

Paint so good you want to lick it!

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Hoghead
                              Certainly a long way from where I thought I was going with this one, lol.

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Hoghead
                                Can’t argue with that, looks stunning Doom

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;