CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Soft tail rear brake on hardtailed shovelhead anchor point

I have a HD OEM softtail rear brake that I'm using for my shovelhead project, just have to figure out how to get it anchored to the frame. My first thought is weld a tab to the brake itself that the anchor rod would bolt onto and then another tab on the frame. I know it's designed to sit between the frame legs with the little bowtie mount but I want to mount this at the 6 o'clock position and cut off the bowtie mount on the brake, seen it done on a bike on Instagram. Let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201117_190855.jpg   20201117_190900.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The tab is simple but choppers are about what pleases the owner and it will work fine either way.
    Since you're going for a style that highlights the exposed rotor check out different styles of rotor drilling and maybe a floating rotor to get the look you most prefer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Welding a tab to the caliper body risks distorting the bores, making the caliper unusable. Machining it so that a tab can be sandwiched into the assembly is a safer plan.

Jim

I mounted mine at about the 1 oclock. I beleive that position presents a little cleaner look. It took like 10 minutes to weld a tab in place. Regardless, it looks like you got it goin on.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear BrakecPan.JPG  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    Welding a tab to the caliper body risks distorting the bores, making the caliper unusable. Machining it so that a tab can be sandwiched into the assembly is a safer plan.

Jim
    I was referring to copying the stock anti-rotation tab not adding one to the caliper.

Get Adobe Flash player

V-twin makes a "S" shaped bracket that is a brake stay for that caliper. Welds to lower "leg" forward of the axle plate. Puts caliper at 3 O'clock.
    No machine work involved. Its a bit of a PIA to hang caliper on it while stabbing axle and wrestling wheel/spacers.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I was referring to copying the stock anti-rotation tab not adding one to the caliper.
    I was replying to the OP's comments, not yours. It sounds like he wants a reaction link set-up rather than the stock type anchor tab.

Jim

Maybe the OP can update us............

Get Adobe Flash player

Simply replace one of the caliper body bolts with a slightly longer one.
    Becomes a handy spot for a brake stay.
    You can trim the stock "bowtie" or not.
    Use a small spacer on the bolt so the stay can still float.

I think I'm gonna just go with the original "bowtie" mount with the L shaped bracket, I could pull apart the caliper then weld the tab to it as not to damage the internals but seems easier to just do it the other way. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Simply replace one of the caliper body bolts with a slightly longer one.
    Becomes a handy spot for a brake stay.
    You can trim the stock "bowtie" or not.
    Use a small spacer on the bolt so the stay can still float.
    wouldnt that bend the bolt when you apply the brake? seems like it would bend with that amount of force being applied to it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Trashpanda69 View Post
    wouldnt that bend the bolt when you apply the brake? seems like it would bend with that amount of force being applied to it
    As long as you don't run it loose the heim joint has to stretch the bolt before it can bend the bolt. If you don't want to use an heim joint make a spacer with a flange as large as the spotface. Be sure to fully torque the bolt.
    Dusty

I like to mount rear calipers on rigid frames in the "V" section of the rear frame like Evo Softails. That way the closed front part of the caliper deflects sand and road grime away from the pads. It is easier to mount calipers under the disc with the open end facing up but the caliper becomes a trap for rain water and other slime.

Share This