Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

By any chance has the cam cover been replaced from the factory install cover ....???
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Winkle
      • Dec 2015

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1298208

Comment

• Winkle
        • Dec 2015

That's the only pic I have right now

Comment

• Winkle
          • Dec 2015

I don't believe so but is there a difference?

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

That sure is a lot of silicone on there... I can't say I have ever seen a gauge mounted there have you Jesse..........

Comment

• Bullfrogkc1
              • Feb 2022

I am having the same issue on a newly acquired 1979 Shovel, that I was told had a new oil pump installed. It had a bad oil gauge on it, so I replaced and immediately maxed out and blew gauge. I assumed I had a bad gauge so I replaced with a new one, same thing happened. I then hooked up a snap on test gauge and it went to 270psi then backed off to 150 ish. Did you figure your issue out, I assume I may have a wrong pump on my bike due to the bike appears to be lubricating.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Bullfrogkc1
                I am having the same issue on a newly acquired 1979 Shovel, that I was told had a new oil pump installed. It had a bad oil gauge on it, so I replaced and immediately maxed out and blew gauge. I assumed I had a bad gauge so I replaced with a new one, same thing happened. I then hooked up a snap on test gauge and it went to 270psi then backed off to 150 ish. Did you figure your issue out, I assume I may have a wrong pump on my bike due to the bike appears to be lubricating.
                I am sorry, but 270 psi from a shovel oil pump is simply not believable.

Jim

Comment

• Bullfrogkc1
                  • Feb 2022

I have 270 psi on startup and then backs off to 150 ish ? Verified by two gauge and a snap on remote test gauge. I have no other issues other then I am afraid to ride it the way it is.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC

I am sorry, but 270 psi from a shovel oil pump is simply not believable.

Jim
                    I have a Automatic Transmission pressure gauge that maxes out at 400 psi ..
                    Doing a "pressure bump" on a H-D oil pump, have seen it go pass the 400 psi that the gauge shows ...

A pressure bump is forcedly holding down the pressure relief piston by hand and running the motor at a low rev ..
                    Reason for the bump is for oiling up hydraulic lifters that are not wanting to pump up ..
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-25-2022, 8:54 AM.
                    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

What started it? Work on it or park it, and then it began? Something like that?

Or just fired it up one day and, whammo.. High pressure?

You see this in automatic transmissions (The 4L80 is notorious for it due to an engineering flaw.) when the controls stick or become jammed with debris. I'm sure the same could happen with a Harley oil pump.

They can build hundreds and hundreds of PSI in the blink of an eye. So much that a guy at a shop I used to work at got a trip to the hospital when the head blew off his cheap gauge and pumped hot fluid all over him. (Always hold those out the window for that reason. Never inside the car.)

Owner had to buy the car afterward.. Because you can't get 3 gallons of ATF out of someone's interior. It's impossible.

Hydraulics is crazy shit. Be careful.

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

OK, I will accept the pressure reading you are getting, and get on with solving the problem.

First, have you determined that your pump is oiling the top end? If you have your gauge on the tappet oil screen cap, in the usual shovel fashion, then the pressure reading will show top end pressure, and you can loosen the front exhaust rocker shaft plug to determine that oil is getting to the heads.

The way the '73 - up shovel pumps work, the oil goes through the check ball and the tappet oil screen and on to the top end. Once a little pressure is built up, the pressure relief valve comes off its seat and uncovers the port that feeds the rods. The oil for the rods is the oil that goes through the cam cover to the pinion shaft. As the pressure increases, the pressure relief valve rises until it uncovers the pressure relief port. That oil goes back to the return side of the pump on the '80 and earlier pumps, and back to the feed side on the '81 - up pumps. (I may not have that year function split quite right; may be a year or two earlier.)

If your pump is building that much pressure, the pressure relief valve may not be moving, as confab stated, above. Or, the passage to the rods and/or the pressure relief passage may be blocked. If it's a new pump, one or both of those ports may not have been drilled during production.

You at least need to remove the pressure relief valve & spring, and maybe remove the pump assembly for inspection.

Jim

Comment

• Bullfrogkc1
                          • Feb 2022

I would agree but after blowing two gauges and then remotely hooking up a known actuate test gauge it is at the least seeing it at the screen port where the gauge is ported.
                          I am wondering if the cavity return port my be blocked, I haven’t had time to pull apart and look. It is returning oil normally to tank and has oil flowing, I don’t believe it’s seeing that high pressure through the system.

Comment

• Bullfrogkc1
                            • Feb 2022

Sorry Jim I just notice you reply thanks for the advice I will post my findings from it.

Comment

• Bullfrogkc1
                              • Feb 2022

Confab,
                              I just bought this bike that has been sitting since 2013. I feel the guy I bought it from is shooting me straight, I just don’t think he knows what’s going on. He mentioned that it had a new oil pump on the bike, but after getting it home and going through the fuel system, battery, to get running. I have discovered this high oil pressure issue I am assuming pump is installed wrong, just the wrong pump, or a blockage somewhere.

Comment

• confab
                                • May 2019

Ohhhhh!!! New pump.. Bet that's your problem!

What kinda pump is it?

I know if it's an S&S, I had to do some drilling to make mine work and there was a jig and all kinds of stuff associated with that to check. Fortunately, their instructions are very good and it shouldn't be hard to go back over it and take a look.

The more senior people may have test procedures for you to perform on the bike.. So, you might want to wait for them to chime in. < - And a wise person would probably do that.

But, I'm not that guy so.. If the bike were mine? I'd remove it and test the valves and give it a good once over.

I would want to see the passages and the gaskets and all of it and make sure it looked kosher. If they messed that up, there's no telling what else you may find wrong.

The standard test for hydraulic valves is: When everything is cleaned, blown off and lubricated with solvent, they should fall through the bore by their own weight.

If there is a problem with this which cleaning does not correct - STOP. Come back and there's some stuff you can do to (ever so carefully, or you'll screw them up.) polish the valves and bores.. And we'll talk about that.

If not? I bet one of the more experienced people here can tell you if there's a parts mismatch or something is miss drilled if you post some really good pics of everything.

Good luck, bro!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;