CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Hello board!

Default Hello board!

Hello board! New member w/ a question. As w/ most Chop aficionados I HATE all the conventional crap on my bike and am steadily removing things. When I bought my dream bike ('96 candy blue 1200 Sportster) it was (and 90 days later still is) is in incredible good condition. The previous owner has EVER damn service record from '96 >. He was such an amazing owner he had the original sales receipt from Indian/Harley in Tallahassee AND the damn price tag from the handlebars ($12,000). No shit this guy baby'ed this bike and I'm continuing that tradition. The original speedo was broken when I got it so I removed that. As most choppers I HATE turn signals (front) and goofy rabbit ear mirrors so those are history leaving only the rear signals which stick out what seems like 2ft on each side and the billboard sized factor brake light (which I'm replacing w/ a tiny bobber light ASAP). So finally here's my question: Since you aren't familiar w/ my locale (New Orleans area) what are my chances of not being stopped for no turn signals or mirrors as long as I don't fly or ride like a red flashing light dumbass? I know there's gonna be some jerkoff cop asskisser whose gonna say "Your gonna get pulled over in 24hrs" but in 90 days it ain't happened yet and I keep seeing all these converted bobbers & choppers w/ the same safetyLAST setup in YT vids cruising and they don't say shit about getting hassled by the fuzz.

Thanks for reading and the experienced replies!
    Last edited by 1200XLC; 11-15-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

A man as tough as you are or as you’re talking....what does it matter if you get pulled over.

How about realizing, if you take your mirrors and turn signals off in a state that requires them....you will eventually get pulled over. Make a decision and deal with the consequences.

Of all the years that I didn’t have turn signal or mirrors, that was never the reason I got pulled over.

Ha ha ha!!! It matters because I don't feel like more tickets like the one attached I got. I appreciate your input. Well if you as tough as you talk then what did public enemy #1 like yourself get pulled over for?

Also, I don't as of yet have a plate on it either. But I am licensed AND insured. I just don't have $$ to pay to register it yet. I've driven by and been seen by several cops while just out cruising and they didn't give me a second glance, but then again I didn't yank my baffles to annoy people OR ride like a dumbass. When I rode a rice rocket I got alot of attention trust me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speeding ticket.jpg  
    Last edited by 1200XLC; 11-15-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Wow. First post............ You pretty much summed yourself up.......... Please dont thank me for reading your post, because its the last one Ill from the OP

No problem baby I say exactly the way IT is. Nobody pays a goddam dime's worth of attention to dumbass turn signals on a motorcycle and my NOT seeing people in a vibrating mirror is my last worry on the street...ITS THEM SEEING ME!!!

Keep reading......
    Last edited by 1200XLC; 11-15-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200XLC View Post
    ..ITS THEM SEEING ME!!!

Keep reading......
    And you want to remove the rear turn signals and install a tiny tail light????

Like alotta things in life its not the size its what you do w/it...in this case its how bright of a bulb in the light (much like the person installing it). An LED bobber w/ a 2k+lumen is gonna be seen much sooner than a billboard sized factory brake light w/ 1k. Although I may be off on the exact lumen rating its easy to get my point.

Markbell83

Hello from newbie

Hey Mark.

Get Adobe Flash player

I built a bike for an old Iron worker who said that he had kept the local police stirred up enough for enough years that he kept getting pulled over for signals and mirrors. So I put bright amber led lights on the end of his foot pegs. He said that he had to carry a copy of the statute that only requires turn signals to be visible from the front and back for a while.
    Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    I built a bike for an old Iron worker who said that he had kept the local police stirred up enough for enough years that he kept getting pulled over for signals and mirrors. So I put bright amber led lights on the end of his foot pegs. He said that he had to carry a copy of the statute that only requires turn signals to be visible from the front and back for a while.
    Dusty
    Muchas Grassy Ass Dave. I LOVE shit like that! Makes me think of > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAIsqvTh7g

Get Adobe Flash player

The footpeg idea is very different and slick!

I admit I NEVER would've thought of it. .

In my state they want a minimum area of light for signals and such. Wouldn't allow bullet lights, and always cried about my knucklehead taillight at inspection.
    When I changed to a newer frame they now want reflectors on the bike also.
    For inspection I have old stock turn signal lenses I screw onto the bullet lights and I use stickon reflectors on the front and rear.
    The police have not hassled me yet in the last twenty years or so.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 1200XLC View Post
    Since you aren't familiar w/ my locale (New Orleans area) what are my chances of not being stopped for no turn signals or mirrors as long as I don't fly or ride like a red flashing light dumbass?
    In my experience, all of those little things come into play once you are stopped for something else. So, it doesn't really matter what the root cause of the stop was. Once you're there, they take a look over your car, truck, bike.. Etc. Although it is unlikely, also bear in mind that a cop declaring your bike less than road worthy will put it on the back of a wrecker. (Being nice to Officer Dickley helps. Maybe he's having a bad day?)

And the #1 cause of motorcycle crashes is people not seeing the bike. There have been two on this forum recently that seem almost inexplicable, but it actually happens a lot. People just look right past you. Therefore, anything that helps get their attention is worth doing.. Be it "uncool" or otherwise.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 70fatster View Post
    In my state they want a minimum area of light for signals and such. Wouldn't allow bullet lights, and always cried about my knucklehead taillight at inspection.
    When I changed to a newer frame they now want reflectors on the bike also.
    For inspection I have old stock turn signal lenses I screw onto the bullet lights and I use stickon reflectors on the front and rear.
    The police have not hassled me yet in the last twenty years or so.
    This.

Every state is different. I bolt on a mirror and small air horn for inspection every year and then promptly remove them. Have never run turn signals since they're not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinson View Post
    This.

Every state is different. I bolt on a mirror and small air horn for inspection every year and then promptly remove them. Have never run turn signals since they're not required.
    ^ Ha ha ha...thats what I'm planning on doing. The horn I'm leaving primarily because its more CHROME! The rear signal on the '96 Sportster is a SOB to remove. The first bolt is easy. The second I can't figure out. I'm guessing you screw screw the whole mount off???

Share This