Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

My own '80 FLH has had two stroker motors, one with the narrow S&S flywheels, and the other with the T&O Torquemonster flywheels. The heavier flywheels definitely make it better on the road. They flatten hills and make cruising effortless. But the S&S motor was more "fun", snappy acceleration and "nimble" (for an ElectraGlide).

Jim

Comment

• corpse
      • Aug 2012

Thanks Drag! Im all set up over here though, appreciate it!

I have my 96" stroker for hauling ass! so I'm not going to do anything fancy to the 48

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by DustyDave
        In some states it is illegal to even know that a number was altered or stamped anywhere but the factory. Had a friend spend a small fortune to keep from going to jail for telling an Oklahoma cop that the body shop that repainted his semi had removed and replaced the number plate to paint under it.
        Dusty
        The cops wrongly fucked your friend so they deserved to lose the case they should never have brought in the first place.

It could only be illegal to "knowingly conceal" (common verbiage) since knowledge cannot be Constitutionally outlawed but an act (concealment under specified conditions) can. Of course pigs gonna pig but nothing about RESTORING a VIN equates to "concealment" if no previous VIN was (for example welding and altering) defaced or removed, but police aren't lawyers and can arrest you for anything they like then make up cause. The only defense against bent or just plain ignorant asshole cops is money or pro bono lawyer.

SC example: https://law.justia.com/codes/south-c...%20misdemeanor.

Laws are specific and specifics matter. A restoration of correct legal identity on a replacement part by stamping on a blank pad where no previous number ever existed to be "removed, defaced, covered, altered or destroyed" is applied to correctly represent the legal identity of the motor vehicle.

So are assigned numbers and dealer case restamps. Numbers reflect legal identity which is distinct from parts origin.

Oklahoma example:

(c) A person who buys, receives, possesses, sells or disposes of a vehicle or an engine for a vehicle, with knowledge that the identification number of the vehicle or engine has been removed or falsified and with intent to conceal or misrepresent the identity of the vehicle or engine, shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony.
        Sheriff's and other auction sales can sell theft recovery vehicles with altered VIN as they are not intending to conceal or misrepresent them. They may issue supporting paperwork which is not a title as proof of purchase.
        Last edited by farmall; 01-17-2022, 8:57 PM.

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Knowledge without reporting was the crime as he told me. Oklahoma laws tend to be ridiculous! That's why I don't live there anymore. The same city passed a noise ordnance that makes the sound of the wind when it's over 40 mph illegal. I know that he eventually got out of it but never heard how. What's even worse is they never even talked to the shop that buggered up the vin tag.
          Dave
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

That shit's why I would never confide in a cop.

They can't be trusted because the good ones cover for the bad and the system (because it's made of ordinary people given extraordinary power) will always be shit.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

You don't hide ...

Explain to the DMV what your doing with the cases ...
              Tell them that your old case with the numbers will be removed by drilling or welding over the numbers ..
              Show them poof that has been done ...

All is good .. And legit ..
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• pan620
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
                You don't hide ...

Explain to the DMV what your doing with the cases ...
                Tell them that your old case with the numbers will be removed by drilling or welding over the numbers ..
                Show them poof that has been done ...

All is good .. And legit ..
                Here the DMV motorcycle expert would tell you to go ahead and do it and bring it back when done, you would not leave with either engine case! But it might be worth a try to original poster but not me!

Comment

• corpse
                  • Aug 2012

Scored a oem 48 left case, just need to weld up and repair the timing plug ����
                  Question about flywheels, 55 and later flywheels have the splined shaft as we established, are the earlier flywheels themselves the same besides that? As in, can the shafts be switched out or are the tapers bigger for the splined shaft going into the flywheels it self.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Established in 1967 by Jim Thiessen, JIMS® Machining (JIMS®) has been manufacturing precision performance products for use on Harley-Davidson® motorcycles for over 45 years now!

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by corpse
                      Scored a oem 48 left case, just need to weld up and repair the timing plug ����
                      Question about flywheels, 55 and later flywheels have the splined shaft as we established, are the earlier flywheels themselves the same besides that? As in, can the shafts be switched out or are the tapers bigger for the splined shaft going into the flywheels it self.
                      The tapers for the '55-up shafts are a different angle, and I guess you can say a different size. There is no interchangeability there, at all.

Jim

Comment

• corpse
                        • Aug 2012

Okay,l good to know, thanks Jim!

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

54-back = 6* tapper .. 55-up to 72 was a 8-1/2 degree ..

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
                            54-back = 6* tapper .. 55-up to 72 was a 8-1/2 degree ..
                            '55 through '80 inclusive was 8.5 degrees.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

Go back and look at my post #12 for what you CAN use for flywheels in these straight roller bearing motors.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by JBinNC
                                '55 through '80 inclusive was 8.5 degrees.

Jim
                                Then they went back to 6*

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;