CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 01 vlx600 bobber build

whats going on friends!
    i picked up a 2001 VLX600 late this summer, and never got around to doing a build thread. so i figured today is the day to get my timeline in order. ive been watching plenty of youtube, and looking through the forums to get as much info as i can before i start asking questions that have already been answered a million times.

Here she is the day i bought her, 12,000 miles, two owner bike for $1800.
    IMG-2130-2
    IMG-2128-2
    IMG-2132-2
    IMG-2134-2
    IMG-2131-2

ive never been a fan of this style windscreen, plus its a bobber build right? take it all off!

IMG-2136-2
    IMG-2137-2
    IMG-2200-2
    IMG-2201-2

after a week of riding, i knew i had to get rid of the grandpa beach cruisers, and went with the 8 bit apes from zombie performance!
    IMG-2223-2

now the fun begins. after watching a few youtube videos, i felt confident enough to chop the rear of and get this build officially started.
    IMG-2292-2
    IMG-2291-2
    IMG-2298-2

testing out the amazon seat and i made myself a 9" square tube mono strut and here she is
    IMG-2302-2
    IMG-2304-2

picked up a tractor supply co fender, saw a few people running these, wanted to see how it looked and it was only $12.
    IMG-2311-2
    IMG-2313-2
    IMG-2314-2

heres how she was sitting. added a side plate mount from amazon since i chopped all the stock parts off. dont mind the 2x4, was using it to get a feel for seat height lol
    IMG-2331-2
    IMG-2333-2
    IMG-2336-2
    IMG-2354-2

turn signal delete, and painted the front wheel. rattle can job for now, once tires are ordered ill be powder coating the wheels.
    IMG-2360-2
    IMG-2375-2
    IMG-2400-2

shes finally starting to come together
    IMG-2377-2

had a friend donate an 883 sportster tank to the build, going to try to get it work, or might opt for the ebay or scretts tank. still plenty of time to decide.
    IMG-2407-2
    IMG-2421-2
    IMG-2408-2

saw some people running the front fender as the rear, gave it a shot, not really into it. tractor fender didnt flow well either.
    IMG-2424-2

found a killer deal on an ebay fender, $100, and i love the ribbed look.
    IMG-2803
    IMG-2808
    IMG-2807
    IMG-2804

while i had the rear wheel off, figured id make it match the front, this will be powder coated once new tires come. stock pipes got chopped and powder coated, and carbs were rejetted
    IMG-2815
    IMG-2814
    IMG-2813

went ahead and tinted the headlight and speedo, with 3m vinyl.
    IMG-2781
    IMG-2780
    IMG-2774

in the spirit of all things bobber, deleted the speedo. MUCH cleaner.
    IMG-2828-2
    IMG-2830-2

ive never like the chrome that this bike has an abundance of, i picked up an ebay velocity stack and made my own filter for it. not bad for $10
    IMG-2845-2
    IMG-2842-2
    IMG-2844-2

i left her alone for about a month after all this, i still wanted to be able to enjoy her while the weather was still nice out. here is how she looked about a month after getting her
    IMG-2977-3
    IMG-2979-2
    IMG-2966-2

i have a problem with buying parts and wanting to install them. i enjoyed about a month of riding her like she sat and loved every minute of it. it just didnt sit with me well that the bike looked half finished. so i decided to go all out and do something about it.
    true hard tail. thanks to goheen cycles for aperfect fitting kit, and it was MUCH cheaper than anyone else.
    IMG-3129
    IMG-3130
    IMG-3132
    IMG-3134

i kept sliding off the amazon seat so i found a guy selling one and got it. much higher kick back and its great on the bike.
    62388196309-42-FD615-B-BDE6-4-CE7-93-DC-56596-D2-FE417

Hard tail fully welded in, and mono shock support is out.
    IMG-3342-2
    IMG-3341-2

and why not add another project while im here? wiring harness is pulled and chopped. still need to finish this, loom it and make sure everything is where it needs to be. deleting the hand controls, getting rid of the key start, wiring it all into one push button, headlight switch it going to be just an on and off switch. not going to lie, this had me feeling a bit intimidated when i started it, but following the guides and some help from friends made it easier to understand.
    IMG-3267-2

and this brings us to the current state of the bike. picked up a sissy bar/fender tab from TC bros, some miscellaneous bungs from bung king. this is just a rough mock up of how shell be sitting.
    IMG-3353-2
    IMG-3354-2
    IMG-3355-2
    IMG-3357-2

still plenty of things to get done over the winter, my plan is to touch every bolt on this bike and make it better than new. everything will be powder coated, tins/frame/forks etc. new tires,chain, sprockets, top end rebuild, seals, gaskets etc. new pipes, tank, possibly new bars, foot controls etc. everything will be worked on/modified. let me know what you guy think!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

great progress and nice layout with photos.

What about scrappin' that stock frontend and tossing on a springer;

Springer Front End Kit - Honda Shadow VT600 VLX - 1988 to 2007
    'THIS KIT IS ONLY THE ADAPTER KIT

At long last! The TJ Brutal Customs, Springer Front End Kit for the Honda Shadow VT600 is here!
    This kit fits the VT600 ONLY. IT DOES NOT FIT ANY OTHER BIKE.

You will want to find a wide glide style springer of your choice made for a 1" steering stem to work with this kit.

Springer Kit Includes -

Custom TJBC Steering Stem made for your Honda VLX600 aka VT600
    Steering Bearings and Races
    Wheel Bearings
    Wheel and Bearing Spacers
    https://shoptjbc.com/products/spring...x-1988-to-2007

ive thought about the springer front end a few times, i think if i do it wont be until everything else is in order. i didnt know that TJ was selling the kits, something to look into for sure!

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good!

I think that ribbed rear fender and the new seat pan are good choices.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by EVILBLACKSABRE View Post
    Looking good!

I think that ribbed rear fender and the new seat pan are good choices.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    thanks! the amazon seat was nice as a place holder, but for $40 i didnt expect much. glad i went with the new one. plenty more to come, ill be updating as i go.

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome job. I love how the flat black wheels look old timey and the use of black generally really pops with that red color. Really nice.

The Mrs. bought a VLX and we love it. Great bikes all around. The side covers are very "oil tank" looking and the plastic at the neck molds it and cleans it all up. It would look cool with no bar and an old hinged fender on it too.

The stock tank is hard to beat and I'm surprised it isn't showing up on harley builds.

Well done.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not hung up on labels, but since you've cut and modified the basic structure of the frame, I'd say that bike now qualifies as a "chopper", rather than a "bobber".

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    Awesome job. I love how the flat black wheels look old timey and the use of black generally really pops with that red color. Really nice.

The Mrs. bought a VLX and we love it. Great bikes all around. The side covers are very "oil tank" looking and the plastic at the neck molds it and cleans it all up. It would look cool with no bar and an old hinged fender on it too.

The stock tank is hard to beat and I'm surprised it isn't showing up on harley builds.

Well done.
    i bet it has to do with the vlx having a double back bone. its probably harder to add that versus us being able to add the harley tank. the neck covers ill be getting rid of and cleaning up the coolant lines to make them less noticeable. and the side covers are being replaced with a faux oil can so i can hide and protect all the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by EVILBLACKSABRE View Post
    I'm not hung up on labels, but since you've cut and modified the basic structure of the frame, I'd say that bike now qualifies as a "chopper", rather than a "bobber".
    true. i guess technically its a chopper, but with bobber vibes

Share This