Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cooldean69
    • Jul 2021

Cams

Didn’t see a thread on cams but there probably is one.

I picked up a set of screaming eagle 585’s for a 14 and up sportster because they were inexpensive but now I’m seeing why that is. All the information I’ve found has been more or less provided by the guys at hammer performance stating that they rob low end torque for top end horses. These guys know what there talking about but I can’t find too much real data or numbers on the se-585 besides the cam sheet, I’m looking for dyno sheet numbers. Looks like they have a really long exhaust duration which would help with restrictive exhaust and may even provide more choices than the standard short shots/ 2 into 1 look. But Would this be detrimental for high flowing exhausts as it could dump power? What does robbing low end for high end really translate to? I understand these cams are California emissions compliant which may be the big draw for some people but I live in az and can get away with more. Just wondering about these cams as I got them for next to nothing maybe they could be good freeway cams for higher top end speeds if they rob low end power right off the stoplight?

Also this could be a good thread to discuss sportster cams in general thanks for any responses
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

It would be helpful if you post up the cam specs.

Jim

Comment

• Cooldean69
      • Jul 2021

The performance-2 585 are what I gotClick image for larger version

Name:	533B6170-C537-419B-BA1D-F42A3C0974CE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1322021

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

You sure have some lift there, if you have a good port that can take advantage of it. They have the intake timing retarded a good bit, 107° lobe center vs. 97.5° for the stock cam.

You would need good ports, and a good valve spring and correct set-up. Add some compression to offset closing the intake valve so late, and you might be able to make it work.

FYI: For the earlier evo XLs, I like the Andrews #6 grind. With a decent head and 9.5 - 10 : 1 compression, a 1200 will make over 90 hp. with that cam. So look at those specs and compare.

Jim

Comment

• Cooldean69
          • Jul 2021

My 2005 1200r has some of the hammer 570 cams along with the dynojet thunderslude kit with some larger jets, v&h short shots and an Arlen ness big sucker and it’s really fast right off the line, no head work yet

So the andrews #6 is that recommendation for the 2003 and earlier frame mount era evos?

Also Jim could you (or anyone) recommend a good resource or reading material to better understand compression ratios? Thank you for the responses.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Cooldean69
            My 2005 1200r has some of the hammer 570 cams along with the dynojet thunderslude kit with some larger jets, v&h short shots and an Arlen ness big sucker and it’s really fast right off the line, no head work yet

So the andrews #6 is that recommendation for the 2003 and earlier frame mount era evos?

Also Jim could you (or anyone) recommend a good resource or reading material to better understand compression ratios? Thank you for the responses.
            Any of William Denish's books on H-D performance contain a lot of information, especially the first book. That book gave me a good perspective on hot rodding the evo motors and that information applies to the evo XL as well.

Jim

Comment

• docmel
              • May 2015

Originally posted by JBinNC
              Any of William Denish's books on H-D performance contain a lot of information, especially the first book. That book gave me a good perspective on hot rodding the evo motors and that information applies to the evo XL as well.

Jim
              Cams are the heart of our motors: You can bolt on carbs, fancy heads, exh, air filters, etc, etc, but unless those parts match what the cam profile will give you, you'll never get the most of all the bolt ons that are out there, and worst of all, your bike will not perform how you want it too, and the expensive bolt on parts will not perform as advertised either

You have to pick a cam that matches how you ride. Do you like off the line power, or do you want that power in the passing rpms? Or do you want your power up higher in the rpm range? Unfortunately, there really isnt a off the shelf cam grind out there that will give you all the power you want in all rpm ranges, but here are grinds that can give a good combination

Hit the net on dif forums, you'll start seeing the grinds out there and what people prefer based on their riding wants

Comment

• hawkens
                • Jul 2010

Check out Hammer Performance, lots of dyno charts with different cams, pipes and different builds. Lots of info on site.

Comment

• Cooldean69
                  • Jul 2021

Anyone ever run leineweber cams? I saw they make ironhead cams, and they are American made.

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Leineweber Cams have been around for a LONG time. Jim Leineweber, like Tom Sifton, was a cam design genius. Both companies made excellent products, with Leineweber still continuing, of course.

The Leineweber cam specs published are based on .020 lobe lift, instead of the .050 or .053 figure that is more commonly used. So, it can be difficult to compare cams based on specs. Leineweber will give you the more common specs if you ask. They offer good personal advice on cam choice, but you need to be SPECIFIC about what you are trying to do. I talked to Jim years ago when I was trying to learn the nitro thing, and he was most gracious and spent a good deal of time with me sharing his insights. Very nice man. His son is running the show now, but I have never spoken to him; hope he is much like his father.

So, if you are interested, call them.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;