Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackCloudSalvage
    • Jan 2015

Belt drive kit question

When looking at open belt drive kits for shovelheads with 4 speed transmission I have seen them grouped into different categories. Just referring to the kits that include motor and trans pulley/basket no other clutch stuff.

Some will say:
    79-84 or
    65-78
    and I even saw one listed as 65-78 FL or 71-78 FX I believe it was.

Just curious what would be different about these kits?

I'm assuming the 79-84 refers to the change over to rotary top transmission. I'm also assuming 65 is when motor went to spline shaft? What is different about a rotary top trans main shaft and clutch hub/basket fitment compared to ratchet top.

Are all stock cone shovels splined crankshaft?
    Are all stock 65-84 transmission tapered shaft?

What are these kits considering when being grouped?
    Last edited by BlackCloudSalvage; 02-03-2022, 4:32 AM. Reason: Clarity
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

personally I think ya doing it the wrong way round and are inviting the purchase of parts you cant use,
    as there are many models that take differant combinations,
    I'd first get the motor, transmission & a frame , In that order,
    THEN start collecting the bits you then know WILL fit, then ya know where ya going for sure,
    I have known many many friends who did it the otherway, & bought the parts they THINK they want,
    only to have to sell them at a great loss for the ones they need or Have to use.
    the loss will be a lot, not just a few bucks.

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
      • Jan 2015

Thank you for the advice. I edited my post to take out my personal situation and just cut to the general questions I have and hope to learn about.
      Last edited by BlackCloudSalvage; 02-03-2022, 4:33 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Drive on with getting used parts: Used belt drive parts are PLENTIFUL on ebay and cheap: try to save yourself hassle and $$$ by doing research and ensuring you get the parts you actually need, as you are doing now

Who cares if you get a tranny first: Your tranny is one of the most popular used in builds: A recommendation is to show us a pic of what shaft you have: You can then use that to pick what you need on ebay: Plenty of pics to compare with when you surf ebay.

I am huge on getting used parts: My current pan build is probably 60% used parts : Used pri belt drive, wheels, frame, front end, fenders, carb, rear shocks, etc

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

I was just thinking about Tlees response, and there is certainly some good points made: With experience, you can get parts as you encounter them with low risk of a mis-fit: I've been fortunate in the past decades: Sometimes a deal comes by that you just have to purchase then and there: But that's the prob: Example, your tranny: I am sure it was deal that you just couldn't pass up: But is the tranny good to, no work needed?

Regardless, just be careful in what you get, even though it might be a smoking deal and ensure it will fit your project: Because as said, resale on a part that didn't fit will cost you lost $$ most of the time

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
            • Jan 2015

I get all that. Believe me. Been there. Learned some lessons and it is good advice for someone. Lets not worry about me and my money for a second.

I'm asking to understand about these belt drive kit groupings and there differences.

Then again I could always contact the manufacturer, but I like talking in chop cult forums!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;