CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default How many Bikes is too many?

I didn't see a thread on this and thought it would be cool, but how many bikes are too many?

I like having multiple bikes for different reasons, I like cruisers, pitbikes, mini bikes, dirtbikes. Groms, I owned a honda Ruckus in my early teens, I pretty much like all kinds of bikes. At the moment I have 2 cruisers, a dirtbike, and a few mini bikes for messing around.

I'd like to finish working on my current sportster and start a another sportster chop, and I wouldn't mind getting a cb750 chop going and even a "dirtster" build.

I wouldn't mind picking up a DRZ400 and a TW200 either

So am I overdoing it? Or? How many bikes do you all have?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Actually have a friend who is the answer to this question. When you don't know how many you have, and have so many that you can't keep them all running because by the time you get through them all, you need tires, a battery, and a carb rebuild by the time you get back around to it. I joke that he has "one of each" and he jokes that it is a sickness.

Get Adobe Flash player

Two keeps my wallet plenty light.
    Last edited by Vinson; 11-03-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yep, two seems about right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lumii_20200918_142634747~2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	107049

Id love to have more, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinson View Post
    Two keeps my wallet plenty light.
    Last edited by markwade74; 11-03-2020 at 5:39 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

No such thing as 'too many'. I've got 13 right now, and if I had more space and more money I'd have 50 more.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    No such thing as 'too many'. I've got 13 right now, and if I had more space and more money I'd have 50 more.
    Bit like 'too much sex-still ain't enough!' I'm happy with 5 hogs.

Get Adobe Flash player

When all the available buildings are full it's time to build more garage space.
    Dusty

[QUOTE=DustyDave;854504]When all the available buildings are full it's time to build more garage space.

I think I'm gonna have a big 30' by 50' building built if I can afford it one of these days

Get Adobe Flash player

Im a bike hoarder too, five bikes on the road and 2-3 constant semi dormant projects. But i do not condone it in any way! Im gonna start the serious bike and car hoarding(and hopefully selling on) when im done working my ass off on the house, build a big ass workshop and warm storage(built a few dozen of those for customers, so it will be cheaper for me to build one for myself somehow.. strange how that works) and when retirement and unlimited free time arrives im aiming to have 20-30 bikes and 5-7 cars to keep rolling, so i dont run out of stuff to do. Untreated workaholism can cause problems.

Get Adobe Flash player

Someone asked Paula Poundstone how does she have 13 cats.
    She said you have 12 and get one more.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101424791_3286026508076960_7993764367919218688_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	107052
    Got 5

Get Adobe Flash player

For riding? Best quantity is two minimum so no downtime with three being a nice number. Collections are not about riding so no limit, but best never pretend you'll get around to them all and MANY do not (like the old collectors whose estate sales we clean out).

Best to cash out when you're too old to maintain them because otherwise they turn to shit and to admit that IN ADVANCE so when senility and crippledom get too much ya can let them go. Next-of-kin won't make the same profit a shrewd owner will and vintage vehicles are (mostly) the hobby of a rapidly dying generation. The new guys can use reasonably priced rides so letting one go to a promising person is a good deed. They're toys after all.

The secret is the best thing to "collect" is TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT with SHOP SPACE, not motorcycles. The shop can still serve you long after yer too crippled to ride so design it to do that well and have ways to move by machine what you cannot or should not by hand. For example I fabbed a motorcycle chock with tiedown points and casters (the units for rollbacks have WHEELS but they do not CASTER) and can winch scoots easily. I don't like the first one so I'll post pics when I do the second but it works well enough for now.

Get Adobe Flash player

All I know is that one is too few

Get Adobe Flash player

I currently have an even dozen motorcycles.

4 HD, 2 of which are licensed, insured and running ('01 retired Cop electraglide, and '96 Sportster.) The other 10 are projects ('74 Shovelhead, '63 Pan I bought in '73.)

3, Triumph, '52 frame '56 engine bitsa, '55 and '57 T110.

3 BSA A65 ('66/'69, 70/'72 and '69.

2 Matchless '47 G80 and '60 Pinto.

And of course, a ton of spare parts.

The plan was to buy these up as I found them for good deals and work on them in my retirement and sell them off. Now that I've been retired for a few years, That hasn't worked out so well. Must be the abundance of procrastination and the dearth of ambition. I occasionally sell stuff off to good homes at reasonable prices. I had 18 bikes at one time.

Life was simpler when I only had one bike. If it wasn't running April fools day to Thanksgiving, I was working on it. And there was always the seasonal imperative that comes with living with 4 seasons to change something up over the winter.

I agree with farmall on the tool thing.
    Last edited by MOTher; 11-05-2020 at 2:30 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If ya need instant bike hoard space ya don't have to assemble, 40' x 9'6" High Cube containers with doors on both ends make great ride-thru instant bike garages and only need a railroad tie under each end for a foundation. If erecting a larger shop you can use one or two for sidewalls. https://www.steelmasterusa.com/comme...-covers-roofs/ Pic is a man door I'm finishing. White sealant is the wonderful 3M5200. Frame is 2-1/2" angle which is just right for containers (I've done others too). Conventional buildings are nice but containers are far stronger than most and good to over 100mph winds empty and unanchored, and typhoon winds of 180mph (where most houses turn to chaff) before deforming if anchored. With a good firebreak they're safe as it gets and you can move them fairly easily later if wanted. I hand-winched that one behind my house with no hassle rolling it on railroad ties and pipe. Lifting eye at top and temp angle support at bottom makes winching the framed door into place easy.

I'll take inside pics when I tidy it up but I've got shelves above head height (I'm 6'2") for heavy storage with room to ride out from beneath. They're "three unfaired bikes" wide inside so I can ride down the center once I lower my FXR project which is hanging in midair off the steel shelving.

I got my bros into containers and they love their container shops. We're all old and damaged so I'd rather study hard and work easy. It's easy to weld two side-by-side (or weld on angle flanges that bolt together if you want to unbolt the halves to move it in future) then remove the inboard walls for a double-width interior setup. I doubled my machine shop but like most of those walls for storage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door.jpg  
    Last edited by farmall; 11-08-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have 5 bikes, but im broke so all I can afford is 3 47 FL's and a 39 80 inch flathead. all start 1st kick

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't really know....But I have come realize throwing an vintage car project into the mix was not such a well thought out plan.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    I have 5 bikes, but im broke so all I can afford is 3 47 FL's and a 39 80 inch flathead. all start 1st kick
    What You have poverty in the USA? How come you can only afford such old bikes? Damn- everyone, we gotta open a crowd funding account for Dave!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
    Don't really know....But I have come realize throwing an vintage car project into the mix was not such a well thought out plan.
    I'm often tempted but i'm not going there!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    What You have poverty in the USA? How come you can only afford such old bikes? Damn- everyone, we gotta open a crowd funding account for Dave!
    actually id like to sell a couple knuckles off

Share This